FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Change fee plus additional miles required for same day award flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1969743-change-fee-plus-additional-miles-required-same-day-award-flight.html)

Cat88L3 May 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Change fee plus additional miles required for same day award flight?

I have a mixed class business/Suites saver award that I booked in Jan 2019. Last week, I wanted to change the business segment (Phuket to SIN) to a same day morning flight. I was advised that it would be a $25 change fee...That's it. I went ahead and booked the change on Sunday.

Now I just received a call from a SQ rep stating that it will be an additional 12,000 miles for them to process the ticket. He said that this is due to the award miles increasing. When I spoke to multiple reps before, they told me about the $25 fee, not additional miles. I asked to speak to a manager directly. The rep said he will call me back to see if it can be resolved...

My question is am I supposed to pay the difference in miles? Is this accurate? Again, it's still the saver award and I'm only changing the time, everything else is still the same.

​​​

fimo May 15, 2019 12:36 am

Is it the first/starting segment of your full itinerary? If it is a segment that would trigger a reissue of your ticket, then yes - you would be hit with additional miles. Is the award seat in the same saver bucket or did the change require you to take a seat in the standard award category? If so, you are also going to have to pay for the more expensive ticket.

Cat88L3 May 15, 2019 8:40 am

This is a one way saver business/suites award flight. Originally, it was an 8pm HKT > SIN flight in business with Silk Air. I have a very long layover in SIN with the next leg being SIN > JFK in SQ Suites. I changed the 8pm flight to a 10am flight for the same day. I'm not making any changes to the SIN > JFK leg. I just wanted an earlier flight into Singapore so I could have more time to explore. The new flight is also saver.

sbs2716g May 15, 2019 9:39 am

I think u book the tickets before the devaluation. And the FAQstated that any changes in date or flight will result in the new rates kick in. So that explain the 12000 miles.

fimo May 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Yup. Your change essentially involved a reissue of your ticket, so the new rates kick in.

sbs2716g May 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by fimo (Post 31106299)
Yup. Your change essentially involved a reissue of your ticket, so the new rates kick in.

even with no reissue of ticket also will kick in the new rates as long as there are any changes.

Tomcch May 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Booked before devaluation. Changes made after devaluation.

PVG > SIN > MEL

1st leg 27 June changed to 3 August
2nd leg remain same on 18 Oct

25 USD only. No additional miles.

To my understanding, additional miles are required only if you change your origin or destination (reissue of ticket). Changing of time or flights on the same route will not trigger a reissue of ticket.

RTWFF May 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tomcch (Post 31115295)
Booked before devaluation. Changes made after devaluation. To my understanding, additional miles are required only if you change your origin or destination (reissue of ticket). Changing of time or flights on the same route will not trigger a reissue of ticket.

That's not my understanding. Any changes trigger the need for more miles

Tomcch May 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 31115311)

Well, that was mentioned on travel blogs as well as my own experience though.

lesocw May 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 31115311)

if ticket was ticketed before devaluation, any date change or time change will not need any extra miles up to 1 year valid.

additional miles are required only if you change your origin or destination or any other changes in class or aircraft metal (reissue of ticket).

https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws....144003/sq1.png

refer to SQ official reply above

lesocw May 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 (Post 31102058)
I have a mixed class business/Suites saver award that I booked in Jan 2019. Last week, I wanted to change the business segment (Phuket to SIN) to a same day morning flight. I was advised that it would be a $25 change fee...That's it. I went ahead and booked the change on Sunday.

Now I just received a call from a SQ rep stating that it will be an additional 12,000 miles for them to process the ticket. He said that this is due to the award miles increasing. When I spoke to multiple reps before, they told me about the $25 fee, not additional miles. I asked to speak to a manager directly. The rep said he will call me back to see if it can be resolved...

My question is am I supposed to pay the difference in miles? Is this accurate? Again, it's still the saver award and I'm only changing the time, everything else is still the same.

​​​

i am guessing during pre devaluation (around Jan) and pre silkair flights merger into SQ when you booked your ticket, all the HKT-SIN silkair flights was MI coded
MI 751
MI 753
MI 755
MI 757
MI 759 ,

after devaluation and silkair merged their booking system into SQ, all the silkair HKT-SIN routes became "SQ50xx Operated by silkair"

MI 751 -> . SQ5051
MI 753 . -> SQ5053
MI 755 . -> SQ5055
MI 757 . -> SQ5057
MI 759 . -> SQ5059

therefore from your original flight "MI7xx" is now "SQ50xx operated by silkair", the ticket needs to be reissued,

"E ticket - MI757 - SQ26" now becomes "SQ 5051 Operated by silkair - SQ26"

MI code to SQ code is considered a change in aircraft carrier thus the rickets needs to be reissued and more miles charged

i guess thats the explanation for your situation. cheers.

demue May 19, 2019 12:29 am

Even if above were true, I highly doubt any of the regular CSRs will be able to come up with that explanation. In addition, this change would be caused by SQ so I would push and escalate this issue and not pay the additional miles, only 25$ is owed in this case. Stand your ground if you have the patience. Good luck.

Cat88L3 May 19, 2019 6:13 am

After I posted here, I reached out to SQ via their official FB and Twitter pages. They told me to send an email to their social media team and they would forward it to the proper dept.

I'm happy to report that I received a call from SQ yesterday. My flight change was processed and I only had to pay the $25 fee!!!

So I'm still not sure if I technically should have been charged the miles or not. My issue was that I was in communication with a few different agents about modifying my flight for that day. I wasn't told about additional miles, only the change fee.

lesocw May 19, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 (Post 31116383)
After I posted here, I reached out to SQ via their official FB and Twitter pages. They told me to send an email to their social media team and they would forward it to the proper dept.

I'm happy to report that I received a call from SQ yesterday. My flight change was processed and I only had to pay the $25 fee!!!

So I'm still not sure if I technically should have been charged the miles or not. My issue was that I was in communication with a few different agents about modifying my flight for that day. I wasn't told about additional miles, only the change fee.

well done, stand your ground and huaca huaca huaca until you succeed :D