FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Infant in j and f cabin? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1969406-infant-j-f-cabin.html)

hqly2001 May 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Infant in j and f cabin?

My wife will be in F and i will be in J cabin in international flight. My infant is booked in J with me. Would the attendant allow my daughter to spend time with my wife for a while during the flight? Anyone have experience in mixed cabin flight with family?

SQTraveller May 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 31094213)
My wife will be in F and i will be in J cabin in international flight. My infant is booked in J with me. Would the attendant allow my daughter to spend time with my wife for a while during the flight? Anyone have experience in mixed cabin flight with family?

I've not experienced this, but I've read somewhere that cabin crew are not always amenable to people visiting First class. Whether that includes children/infants, I'm not sure.

How long will you planning for the "visit" and how long is the flight? Why not book your infant in F? While some would not be happy with a baby in First, it is your prerogative to do so.

SFO777 May 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Oy, here we go again. I assume that this is SFO-HKG and SQ1 departing SFO at 1am, do you really think that other pax in First would want to share the cabin with a potentially crying and/or restless infant, especially on a red-eye when most pax will be wanting to sleep. Here's an idea. Buy a ticket and sit in the same cabin (even if you have to buy an Advantage redemption ticket) and you can share your daughter as much as you want.

NetJets Germany May 12, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 31094618)
Oy, here we go again. I assume that this is SFO-HKG and SQ1 departing SFO at 1am, do you really think that other pax in First would want to share the cabin with a potentially crying and/or restless infant, especially on a red-eye when most pax will be wanting to sleep. Here's an idea. Buy a ticket and sit in the same cabin (even if you have to buy an Advantage redemption ticket) and you can share your daughter as much as you want.

Well, do you not think that “the other pax” in J would also like to sleep, as would, in all likelihood, also most pax in PE and Y? And, as has been countless times observed on here (FT), if you’re unlucky, you can have individuals of any age and ilk make their fellow pax’s flight miserable (Drunk, louts, DNKWIAs, divas, epic snorers, the list is endless...).

To the OP, how about you ask the purser upon boarding if you and your wife could swap seats once about half-way through the flight, with the infant staying in J all the time, so that the adult in F can rest properly / enjoy the F experience, while the infant, on whom the nice food and drink (But not the better seat!) is surely wasted, stays in J all the time?

RTWFF May 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Why not swap seats with your wife?

BTLim May 12, 2019 9:02 pm

I think the point is, if the infant is booked in F, the infant is entitled to be awake (cry) as much as it wants to, without the other F pax being able to demand it's removal.
However, if the infant is a J traveller, and an F passenger complains, this will put the crew in a very difficult position in asking the parents to move the infant back to it's original cabin. I say difficult because I have personally witnessed the old excuse of "but other crews have allowed me to do this".

shuigao May 13, 2019 12:52 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 31094572)
Why not book your infant in F?

I would hazard a guess that OP only wants to pay the 10% for the J seat, and not the F one :P

NetJets Germany May 13, 2019 1:12 am

Originally Posted by BTLim (Post 31094926)
I think the point is, if the infant is booked in F, the infant is entitled to be awake (cry) as much as it wants to, without the other F pax being able to demand it's removal.
However, if the infant is a J traveller, and an F passenger complains, this will put the crew in a very difficult position in asking the parents to move the infant back to it's original cabin. I say difficult because I have personally witnessed the old excuse of "but other crews have allowed me to do this".

As a father of an infant, I agree that this logic is flawless. Ultimately, a passenger, no matter how young or old, should fly in the cabin they booked their ticket for (OpUps excepted).

RoxyMountain May 13, 2019 3:14 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 31094618)

Fortunately the ever resourceful FA on SQ1 keep a roll of gaffer tape at the ready for just such an event ^

chongl May 13, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by BTLim (Post 31094926)

Just another one of those gotta pay to play. If OP is balking at the 10% of the F fare, then stay in J with the infant. I firmly believe in keeping the baby in the ticketed class of travel or lower, not higher. The wife should come to J to see the infant if she so desires. This is from someone who also has a little boy, but I don't hesitate to ticket him in F so we can sit as a family. Not so fun when the adult EK F fare is pushing 20K, but again, gotta pay to play.

anniegray May 13, 2019 11:39 am

I certainly hope they don't allow it

Mlee888 May 13, 2019 6:17 pm

This won’t be permitted.

Same as one of you having an economy ticket and asking infant to sit in J with the one of parent that’s ticketed there.

Don’t expect SQ flight crew to allow this either, regardless of status. It’s one of the things many passengers have asked and tried to get away with before and the best way around it is to both sit in the same class. If you can afford a first class ticket then why not both sit in first class? Because of the cost of the infant ticket enhances experience? If that’s the case then just get two business class tickets, still better experience than most first class seats on other airlines.

RMDZidane May 14, 2019 5:59 pm

If you are on SQ1 or 11, I don't know if you are, then get seat 29k or somewhere in that part of the cabin. J is usually a ghost town on that flight anyway so you won't be bothering any passengers by sitting there . :-)