Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

What to do if interline transfer declined at point of origin? [SQ>KQ]

What to do if interline transfer declined at point of origin? [SQ>KQ]

Old May 11, 19, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Angry What to do if interline transfer declined at point of origin? [SQ>KQ]

I booked a ticket on Singapore-Mumbai-Nairobi and return for myself and my girlfriend, paid via expedia. The first leg is on Singapore Airlines and the next leg is on Kenya Airways. At the point of booking I assumed the baggage transfer will be automatic. But then I decided to check with Singapore airlines and they are really giving confusing answers.

Over email, they keep saying that Kenya Airways does not have any agreement with them. The email does not word itself as they would not do it, but merely rehashes some canned phrases, emphasising the absence of agreement.

When I call them over phone, they keep saying they may be able to do it if I request it at the point of check in at Changi but they cannot guarantee it. That is even more confusing. Should I have to clear immigration at Mumbai even though I have both legs on single ticket? And how am I supposed to plan ahead if they cannot give a definitive response?

I have not contacted Kenya Airways about the return journey from Nairobi, but assuming the worst again.

So two main questions.
  1. If the flights appear on the same ticket with same PNR, does any party here (Expedia, Kenya Airways, Singapore air) have any legal responsibility to ensure an seamless transfer? I have transited on many occasions at Hong Kong (Cathay-Cathay) and Frankfurt (Singapore Air-Lufthansa), but never faced this issue.
  2. If the airline declines any luggage transfer, does it make clearing the immigration at Mumbai absolutely necessary? Or is there usually some other procedure to get the luggage from one carrier to another inside the transit zone? As I said, earlier I never bothered to ask this, just went straight for the security check ins. Is it possible anyhow?
Old May 11, 19, 3:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Itís difficult (for me, anyway) to find lists if airline interlink agreements, but itís quite possible SQ and KQ have such an agreement even if they belong to different alliances.

Read the article through the following link and see if that helps, anyway:
https://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...-not-partners/
Old May 11, 19, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
There's a baggage interline agreement in place from SQ to KQ. It doesn't mean they HAVE to check the bag through and 99.99% likely it will happen without you even asking.

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AD AE AF AH AI AS AT AV AY AZ BA BD BE BI BP BR BT B6 B7 CA CI CM CX CZ DL EI EK EN ET EW EY FI FM FV FZ GA GF G3 HA HM HO HR HX IB IC IG IR IY JJ JL JP JU KA KC KE KK KL KM KQ KU LA LG LH LO LP LR LX LY ME MF MH MI MK MS MU MX NH NX NZ OA OK OM OS OU OZ O6 PD PG PR PS PX PZ QF QR QV RA RB RO SA SB SC SK SN SQ SU SV SW S7 TA TG TK TP TR UA UK UL UN VA VK VN VS VX WF WY XL ZH 2K 4M 4U 9W
JDiver likes this.
Old May 11, 19, 4:03 pm

Are you sure it is one ticket? The only flight combo on Expedia for SIN-MUM-NBO on SQ/KQ I was able to find clearly indicates that you going to book two different trips. It might be one PNR but that does not mean it is a single ticket.
nancypants and wrp96 like this.
Old May 11, 19, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A PNR can have 1 or more tickets
Buying tickets on OTA's, (expedia, etc) can be problematic. The tickets are cheaper for a reason. Can be very different to buying direct from the airline.
How much time between the SQ & KQ flights?
Would be a good idea to check Indian entrance requirements based on you passports.
Link---> https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 11, 19 at 4:43 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 17, 19, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome back to the posting side of Flyertalk @Swagato Barman Roy.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the SQ forum, as SQ is the first carrier you'll be checking in with.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 17, 19, 11:07 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
A PNR can have 1 or more tickets
Buying tickets on OTA's, (expedia, etc) can be problematic. The tickets are cheaper for a reason. Can be very different to buying direct from the airline.
How much time between the SQ & KQ flights
SQ has a fairly generous through checking policy, even on separate PNRís. But even those who are quite strict, and wonít through check on separate PNRís, usually do if the booking includes separate tickets in the same PNR.
Old May 17, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If you are on a single PNR SQ will check to final destination. SQ can check bags to KQ flights. There is nothing to worry about.

Search this Thread