Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

plane downgrade from suites to first on award ticket

Old May 8, 2019, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G / OW sapphire

hey everyone!

i got lucky and scored flights for two on SQ25 JFK to SIN with an onwards connection from SIN to MEL on SQ217. all in SUITES. upon waitlisting and booking this flight, both flights were in suites but i've only just recently noticed that the SIN to MEL leg has been downgraded to First on a boeing 777-300.

i'm actually really upset as i was so looking forward to flying suites all the way. - upon looking for a380's from singapore to melbourne on a regular ticket search on SQ i cannot find any anymore so i guess they have cut a380 services to melbourne. anyone know about this? is it worth calling them and asking if they could re-route my to sydney in suites? any other advice? thank you! (edit both flights are on september 5/6 this year)
Old May 8, 2019, 12:45 am

I had a similar situation last year. I had book JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD in Suites. My SIN-SYD was downgraded to a 777 about two months before the flight. I called about 10 times and spoke with many many people trying to switch to the other SYD frequency that still had Suites but nobody was willing to open award space for me. I kept trying even at the checkin desk but couldnt make it happen. I will say that Im glad I didnt succeed because the 777 first class is sooooo comfortable. I mean dont get me wrong. The old suites are one of my favorite first class products. But in my opinion the 777 is the nicest non-suite first class seat out there (maybe tied with CX). The bed is so wide and I really enjoyed it. So my advice is dont waste your time because Singapore agents are rigid and not what they used to be. Enjoy the Suites from JFK-SIN and enjoy the First Class from SIN-MEL for a bit of variety.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:04 am
THR

I personally wouldn't be that upset either. While not a suite, the 777 is still a great first product (as mentioned by Merlinrnr above) - and the soft product is superb too. You get to fly in suites on the long leg and a different first product on the remainder.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:34 am

SQ217 change to 777-300ER during the summer schedule (except for mid June to end July which it use A380). Will revert back to A380 for the winter schedule as well.

btw it is not consider as downgrade. Both suite n first class are still first class. (Same booking class).

Old May 8, 2019, 3:46 am
Original Poster

thats really encouraging advice, thank you!
Old May 8, 2019, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
I had a similar situation last year. I had book JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD in Suites. My SIN-SYD was downgraded to a 777 about two months before the flight. I called about 10 times and spoke with many many people trying to switch to the other SYD frequency that still had Suites but nobody was willing to open award space for me. I kept trying even at the checkin desk but couldnt make it happen. I will say that Im glad I didnt succeed because the 777 first class is sooooo comfortable. I mean dont get me wrong. The old suites are one of my favorite first class products. But in my opinion the 777 is the nicest non-suite first class seat out there (maybe tied with CX). The bed is so wide and I really enjoyed it. So my advice is dont waste your time because Singapore agents are rigid and not what they used to be. Enjoy the Suites from JFK-SIN and enjoy the First Class from SIN-MEL for a bit of variety.
thats really encouraging advice, thank you! !
Old May 8, 2019, 5:22 am

You're getting the best of both worlds. A lot of people prefer First in the 777.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
What a bummer! Happened to me on AKL-SIN-HKG where SIN-HKG was supposed to be in the Suites. About 2 months out, SIN-HKG was downgraded to business class on another flight as my original flight was changed to the new A380 config with 6 Suites (instead of 12). Tried calling and even going down to the physical office in Singapore. They would not book me on another flight with First class on the same day as there was no Saver award availability on other flights. As a compromise, they rebooked me on the original flight but on Business class. Getting to try the new business class was the only silver lining. Was told to try my luck at check-in but alas, the Suites on that flight were all taken.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by landingpoint
What a bummer! Happened to me on AKL-SIN-HKG where SIN-HKG was supposed to be in the Suites. About 2 months out, SIN-HKG was downgraded to business class on another flight as my original flight was changed to the new A380 config with 6 Suites (instead of 12). Tried calling and even going down to the physical office in Singapore. They would not book me on another flight with First class on the same day as there was no Saver award availability on other flights. As a compromise, they rebooked me on the original flight but on Business class. Getting to try the new business class was the only silver lining. Was told to try my luck at check-in but alas, the Suites on that flight were all taken.
omg what a bummer!!! that really sucks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.