Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Departing Changi/First Class Check-in & visiting Jewel?

Departing Changi/First Class Check-in & visiting Jewel?

Old May 8, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Sure you want to keep it here but ... you wasted the efforts of people who wanted to help you in the Singapore forum by double posting the identical thread.

Anyway, I'm not sure where you're from but all Jewel really is, is just a big shopping centre/mall - some of which have exhibits and experiences already.
​​​​​​I see that you missed my last post where I already explained my reasons, not that it matters... I'm not sure why some have a deep and passionate opinion on why I want to visit Jewel, but it certainly is entertaining lol.

An objective of a forum is to get help/tips/advice from others. Saying that I've wasted others' time by posting the same question on a another forum... It's not that deep. I do appreciate ALL the helpful posters that took the time out to respond. Trying to chastise me on my post for asking questions/advice is pretty unnecessary and very extra. That's not what this thread is supposed to be about. Have a blessed evening.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I was there on weekend, still quite crowded but not bad, not much worse than an Orchard Rd shopping centre or the night show at Gardens by the Bay on a Saturday night. I expect it would be quieter during the day and on other nights of the week.

There was was a sign saying the canopy walk is closed until 10 June (IIRC). There is also an interactive Changi Airport experience that isn’t open yet, but didn’t have a date on it.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
​​​​​​I see that you missed my last post where I already explained my reasons, not that it matters... I'm not sure why some have a deep and passionate opinion on why I want to visit Jewel, but it certainly is entertaining lol.

An objective of a forum is to get help/tips/advice from others. Saying that I've wasted others' time by posting the same question on a another forum... It's not that deep. I do appreciate ALL the helpful posters that took the time out to respond. Trying to chastise me on my post for asking questions/advice is pretty unnecessary and very extra. That's not what this thread is supposed to be about. Have a blessed evening.
Thanks for posting your initial questions. I too will be there for the first time in July and also want to explore the airport (minus the mall). Some of the responses have been helpful.

I have never been to the Singapore airport, so admittedly speaking from the cheap seats, but they surely did not win best airport in the world 7 years in a row because they built a great mall.

Best to just ignore the trolls that always seem to come out of the woodwork on blogs. I wish I had that much available time in my day. Hopefully I would use it more productively.

Save travels!
TD
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
The attractions you keep referring to are really all one integrated experience. The Canopy Park is perhaps a more artificial version of the High Line, and the Playground elements are payable when the canopy park reopens in June. This was open during the preview although the mazes and net play areas were off limits. The topiaries are... cheesy to say the least.

That said, worth a look and excursion - I'm not a mall person at all either but I went to the preview twice (first day because I went to the Shake Shack preview) because I was keen to check out the attractions side of things and since most of the Canopy Park would be zoned off and payable it was an opportunity to take a look. If you are there on a weekday day time the crowds are fine. There really are only queues for the unicorn businesses like Shake Shack - the queue starts before they open at 10AM.

Last edited by fimo; May 8, 2019 at 8:55 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Thanks for posting your initial questions. I too will be there for the first time in July and also want to explore the airport (minus the mall). Some of the responses have been helpful.

I have never been to the Singapore airport, so admittedly speaking from the cheap seats, but they surely did not win best airport in the world 7 years in a row because they built a great mall.

Best to just ignore the trolls that always seem to come out of the woodwork on blogs. I wish I had that much available time in my day. Hopefully I would use it more productively.

Save travels!
TD
Yes it is a very good airport experience, but some of us trolls still think it's an airport.

Last edited by SQTraveller; May 8, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by fimo
That said, worth a look and excursion - I'm not a mall person at all either but I went to the preview twice (first day because I went to the Shake Shack preview) because I was keen to check out the attractions side of things and since most of the Canopy Park would be zoned off and payable it was an opportunity to take a look. If you are there on a weekday day time the crowds are fine. There really are only queues for the unicorn businesses like Shake Shack - the queue starts before they open at 10AM.
What did you think of Shake Shack? Is it different to the US version?
Old May 8, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3

Sorry you feel so hurt by my post.

If you want really good Singapore Airlines/Singapore feedback, I would ask the real experts at SQTalk - not sure I'm allowed to post the link here
Old May 8, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Yes it is a very good airport experience, but some of us trolls still think it's an airport.
Yes, it's still an airport, and if you use SIN frequently, well a) you get used it, b) probably have access to lounges so don't actually use the bulk of airport facilities at al (and c) get spoilt by it).

Also easy to forget that it might actually be interesting place to visit, to someone who has never been to the airport before. Especially if someone's home airport is a best merely a bland functional airport that gets people from the road to planes (either with our without long queues and waits ) or at worst a dilapidated maze. ( Or even worse an airport that was built relatively recently so is quite new, has loads of great staff, but did not fulfil its potential due to some bad design choices and money being siphoned off during construction.. )
Old May 9, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
What did you think of Shake Shack? Is it different to the US version?
It's pretty damn good, and I've eaten at US SS many times (including at their NYC original locations). The Singapore SS is run by the same folks who run the Seoul outlets, and I've tried the Seoul SS once and was impressed (my first non-US SS) so I was pretty sure they would get it right in SG as well.

I hear the queue is about 45mins to an hour off peak, no one I know has tried to eat there during peak hours. SS has chosen not to be halal certified (as is the norm for fast food joins in SG) so they have their full range of burgers and also serve beer and wine.

Last edited by fimo; May 9, 2019 at 1:08 am
Old May 9, 2019, 1:57 am

It's pretty damn good, and I've eaten at US SS many times (including at their NYC original locations). The Singapore SS is run by the same folks who run the Seoul outlets, and I've tried the Seoul SS once and was impressed (my first non-US SS) so I was pretty sure they would get it right in SG as well.

I hear the queue is about 45mins to an hour off peak, no one I know has tried to eat there during peak hours. SS has chosen not to be halal certified (as is the norm for fast food joins in SG) so they have their full range of burgers and also serve beer and wine.
45 minute queue. I wonder if it's because it's still new. I did try it in NYC but wasn't that impressed. But I would like to try a lot more of the menu and give them another shake so to speak
Do they do any localizations like they do for McDonald's and KFC?
Old May 9, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
45 minute queue. I wonder if it's because it's still new. I did try it in NYC but wasn't that impressed. But I would like to try a lot more of the menu and give them another shake so to speak
Do they do any localizations like they do for McDonald's and KFC?
They will have some products that are exclusive to Singapore, such as the Pandan shake. (I might be misremembering the part about the shake. However, they will certainly have exclusive items.)
Old May 9, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

The attractions you keep referring to are really all one integrated experience. The Canopy Park is perhaps a more artificial version of the High Line, and the Playground elements are payable when the canopy park reopens in June. This was open during the preview although the mazes and net play areas were off limits. The topiaries are... cheesy to say the least.

That said, worth a look and excursion - I'm not a mall person at all either but I went to the preview twice (first day because I went to the Shake Shack preview) because I was keen to check out the attractions side of things and since most of the Canopy Park would be zoned off and payable it was an opportunity to take a look.

Haha, Canopy Park definitely reminds me a bit of The High Line here in NYC. I think Shake Shack is very overrated. Not that it isn't good, I've just had much better. I don't understand the massive amount of crowds, but I know they love their Shake Shack, lol

And yes, I'm glad that another poster pointed out that desire to go to attractions are all about perspective. Compared to JFK and LGA (my home airports), Changi is pretty darn cool.

It's my first time in Singapore-Actually my first time in Asia. I only have about 30 hours in Singapore, so I want to do what I can with the time allowed.

I must say that I'm pretty stoked about flying with Singapore Airlines. The SQ CSRs over the phone has been an absolute dream. They have gone through the extra mile by giving me extra time on booking my unconfirmed waitlisted Suites flight. (4 months). I wanted to modify one of my segments so I can get to Singapore earlier in the day. A CSR sent chasers so I can get on a waitlisted saver flight for business class (The rep waitlisted me for a few flights and sent a chaser for each of them)...before the phone call was over, 3 separate flights were available for me to confirm. Every time I call in, a CSR answers within 2-3 min, no exaggeration. I'm very much impressed by the service and I haven't even flown on SQ metal yet, lol.

Last edited by Cat88L3; May 9, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old May 10, 2019, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Save travels!
TD
I will and thank you, TD!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.