Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming mixed First/Business segment

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Redeeming mixed First/Business segment

I recently called in about redeeming miles for SFO-SIN-CMB. I wanted F, but SIN-CMB has no F. When they priced out the cost, they computed mileage costs for SFO-SIN in F and SIN-CMB in J and added them together. 261,000 miles (222,000 advantage for SFO-SIN, 39,000 saver for SIN-CMB).

For J, the price for SFO-CMB (109) is much less than adding SFO-SIN (95) and SIN-CMB (39).

Anything I can do about this? 261,000 for first is a lot more than 109,000 for business.

Thanks!
-- Ethan
Old May 1, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: KF EG
If you get SFO-SIN-CMB as a single redemption on First, it will be charged as full First even though there is no First class in SIN-CMB
The single redemption of SFO-SIN-CMB in Advantage is actually only 260k miles which is 1k miles cheaper than making 2 separate redemptions

The 109k miles for SFO-CMB is for a single Saver redemption in Business
SFO-CMB is for a single Saver redemption in First is 153k miles if there is availability
Old May 1, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
I think the main issue here is not the separate tickets, but because you are comparing an Advantage First to a Savers Business. As Kelvin L rightly pointed out, even if you get them to issue the ticket as Zone 12 to Zone 6, it's still 260,000 miles for an F Advantage ticket, saving you only 1000 miles. An F Savers would cost you 153,000 miles which is significantly fewer miles than the Advantage ticket.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I get it now. The 260,000 is so high because it's charging me for F from SIN-CMB even though it's not available. There's no discount to the miles for a mixed-class routing.

They agreed to book me in confirmed F for 260,000 while also waitlisting me for F Saver at 153,000. I thought that was odd, but I figured I'd go with it. They'll refund the miles difference, she said. It looks like this is still an 8-seat F plane, so perhaps it'll come through?

Thanks!
-- Ethan
Old May 2, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by solomita
They agreed to book me in confirmed F for 260,000 while also waitlisting me for F Saver at 153,000. I thought that was odd, but I figured I'd go with it. They'll refund the miles difference, she said.
Please note that refund of miles will require cancellation of the advantage award, wait for the miles to re-deposit, then book the saver itinerary (to extend ticketing deadline of saver award or expedite miles re-deposit). Otherwise (if they can do reissue of tickets this way), the miles would not be refunded. Excerpts from the award T&Cs.

An award ticket may be reissued, but only for travel by the same person and provided no part of the award ticket has been used. Additional KrisFlyer miles may be applicable. If the new journey requires fewer KrisFlyer miles, the excess cannot be refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.