SQ a350-900ULR in J or OZ a380 in J ?

Old Apr 29, 19, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

SQ a350-900ULR in J or OZ a380 in J ?

Flying LAX - DAD and have option of:

OZ a380 in J
or
SQ a350-900ULR in J

Never flown either in J. Thoughts? SQ has that footwell off to the side that looks odd. OZ's looks a bit more straight on.

OZ has 1:15hr connection in ICN. Too tight?
SQ has overnight connection in SIN. Definitely hitting the hawker stalls that night if we do SQ.

I've read mixed reviews overall on OZ in J. SQ service always seems good, but the new J seat reviews seem shaky at best.
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Hands down SQ, except I'd pick the NRT one-stop over the ULR.
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Unionruler. The SQ NRT one stop shows a 77W. Isn't that the same J seat as the a350ULR?

Last edited by canes310; Apr 29, 19 at 9:42 pm Reason: Accidently hit send before finishing question
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
DAD is quite a bit of backtracking from SIN.

Neither hard product is particularly good. SQ has better food.

BR or CX would be better choices IMO.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by canes310 View Post
Thanks Unionruler. The SQ NRT one stop shows a 77W. Isn't that the same J seat as the a350ULR?
Yeah but I don't like ULH. The one-stop can easily be a one night in Tokyo with <24 hour transfer.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:19 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
It looks the same but is actually wider, especially at the footwell area. Which is why you don't see a thread about how horrible the 77W seat is
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
DAD is quite a bit of backtracking from SIN.

Neither hard product is particularly good. SQ has better food.

BR or CX would be better choices IMO.
BR or CX are not redemption options for me on my specific dates. Only reasonable redemption J options are SQ or OZ.
Old Apr 30, 19, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Didn't think I could add a <24 hr stopover in Tokyo on a one way SQ saver redemption. SQ website not allowing me to do that. Maybe it's user error...

ExpertFlyer shows all bulkheads are available on the ULR LAX-SIN. 11 D/F/K and 19 A/D/F/K. Are the ULR bulkheads similar to to the bigger footwells on the 77W? Anything else I'd need to know about ULR bulkhead seats?

My wife and I will go eat in Singapore on the overnight layover, so no issues for us there.

Thanks, all.
Old Apr 30, 19, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
BR or CX are not redemption options for me on my specific dates. Only reasonable redemption J options are SQ or OZ.
Then I would take SQ because I don't trust OZ's safety record. If you can get row 11 or 19 on the 350, the footwell is okay. The seats are very hard though. I flew the 350 once and while I enjoy SQ food and service (as well as the Changi transfer), I will not fly that aircraft again if I have another reasonable option.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:04 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
I'd definitely pick SQ over OZ any day of the week. I don't love the A350ULR configuration, but it's better than the OZ A380 which I find to be incredibly narrow. Same basic A380 configuration as TG, EK and CZ A380 except fewer flourishes. I'm also not a fan of Asiana's safety record, FWIW.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond
Just completed SQ LAX-SIN and back on the 350ULR.

Seat is so small. When in seat mode, you're so close the the screen. The bed is absolutely rock hard. Really disappointed they didn't up their game for these ultra long hauls. I will actually go out of my way not to fly the 359U again.
Old Apr 30, 19, 3:51 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Agree with SQ but uggh, I dislike the A350. How can SQ get so many things right but these seats are so disappointing. The side bend gave me the worse leg cramps SIN>AMS, if they had F I would have paid $ to move to them.
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:18 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Didn't think I could add a <24 hr stopover in Tokyo on a one way SQ saver redemption. SQ website not allowing me to do that. Maybe it's user error...

ExpertFlyer shows all bulkheads are available on the ULR LAX-SIN. 11 D/F/K and 19 A/D/F/K. Are the ULR bulkheads similar to to the bigger footwells on the 77W? Anything else I'd need to know about ULR bulkhead seats?

My wife and I will go eat in Singapore on the overnight layover, so no issues for us there.

Thanks, all.
You wont be able to get the bulkhead rows unless you fly with an infant or are PPS on SQs KF program.

Also, not sure what plane OZ fly ICN-DAD, but the Silkair planes are nothing to write home about.

Whilst i am not the biggest fan of the SQ 359 seat either (Too close to the screen, small cubbyhole at an angle), at least it is wide from the knee upwards and the Krisflyer IFE is second to none, IMHO!
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany View Post

You wont be able to get the bulkhead rows unless you fly with an infant or are PPS on SQs KF program.

Also, not sure what plane OZ fly ICN-DAD, but the Silkair planes are nothing to write home about.

Whilst i am not the biggest fan of the SQ 359 seat either (Too close to the screen, small cubbyhole at an angle), at least it is wide from the knee upwards and the Krisflyer IFE is second to none, IMHO!
OZ ICN-DAD is on the 747-4. I've been going down a rabbit hole all day of how much everyone hates the SQ 359 J seats. Probably need to step away from the computer for a bit. It's the best saver redemption at this time for late August, though maybe I wait out saver space opening up on another carrier, our buy a cheap PE seat on AA through HKG as it gets closer. My wife's not too picky, I'm sure she'll be fine whatever we do. I'm the one who obsesses over this stuff..haha
Old Apr 30, 19, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany View Post
That's not correct. I was able to reserve 19K at booking. Many others have also reported getting row 19.

Search this Thread