Help With Backtracking Rules

Old Apr 28, 19, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Help With Backtracking Rules

So, I'm getting a small headache trying to sort the backtracking rules for SQ. As far as I can tell, SYD-LAX is not backtracking, but AKL-LAX is backtracking. Likewise, I ran into some issues with backtracking objections from HND/NRT but they didn't seem to apply to FUK. Is there anywhere to get a clear guide on this and/or what are one's chances likely to be in getting an override?

(This is relevant because next year, I'm stuck going to New Zealand [I know, rough life] for a conference and I'd really like to use SQ to get there. I know that JFK/EWR/IAH are options, but I'd like to know how flexible my choices actually are.)
Old Apr 28, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
So, I'm getting a small headache trying to sort the backtracking rules for SQ. As far as I can tell, SYD-LAX is not backtracking, but AKL-LAX is backtracking. Likewise, I ran into some issues with backtracking objections from HND/NRT but they didn't seem to apply to FUK. Is there anywhere to get a clear guide on this and/or what are one's chances likely to be in getting an override?

(This is relevant because next year, I'm stuck going to New Zealand [I know, rough life] for a conference and I'd really like to use SQ to get there. I know that JFK/EWR/IAH are options, but I'd like to know how flexible my choices actually are.)
The official rule is upper limit of 125% of great circle distance, and no intentional backtracking by looking at the general direction of flight on a map (although a small amount of leeway is given to transit *A hubs). An example of an illegal routing under the latter would be SIN-FRA/ZRH-IST-FCO.

Technically SYD-SIN-LAX should also be deemed backtracking, but I've never encountered anyone who got it disallowed, presumably because of the sheer number of people requesting this on one award ticket. Just try your luck and HUCA 5 times...maybe you'll get someone willing to ticket AKL-SIN-LAX for you. Anecdotally in another thread, there was an FTer who claimed to get SIN-FRA/ZRH-JNB ticketed despite it also being >125% great circle distance.
Moa likes this.

Search this Thread