Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Krisflyer Spontaneous Escapes 24 hour cancellation

Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold

Call center is telling me that Spontaneous Escapes fares with Krisflyer miles are not refundable, even within 24 hours of booking, even if departing the United States. I'm puzzled by this. I do see the terms and conditions say these can't be changed or canceled, but this would also put them in direct violation of the DOT rules on the matter. Krisflyer doesn't allow 24 hour holds, so it would seem at least the 24 hour free cancellation should apply. Anyone have luck in escalating the issue and getting SQ to honor the DOT rules?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

I called again and really pushed the agent to speak to a supervisor... after 20 min on hold they say they can actually cancel the ticket but getting the miles back can take up to 1 week. I'm hoping they come back soon so I can rebook a different date with Spontaneous Escapes.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:38 pm

I read somewhere else that this was an SQ policy not matching legal requirements in other countries ... need to check that you get your miles back!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

I called back to expedite refund of the miles. It took another ~72 hours to get the miles back after the call but alas success.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I read somewhere else that this was an SQ policy not matching legal requirements in other countries
That's hugely surprising to me.

I'm pretty sure most (all?) countries make respecting their legal requirements a prerequisite for airlines (and, indeed, business in general) to operate there. If SQ wants to keep operating in the US, then they better respect DOT regulations. (Or, at least, be ready to pony up when they get fined for violating them.)
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I read somewhere else that this was an SQ policy not matching legal requirements in other countries ... need to check that you get your miles back!
I am sure they follow legal requirements in the US, where it applies. That doesn't mean they follow US legal requirements when they are not required to. I don't think you'd have a lot of luck trying to get them to follow the same cancellation rule (within 24 hrs of booking), if you booked a ticket from PER to SIN, for example, even if you were inside the US at the time you booked.
chisquared likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I am sure they follow legal requirements in the US, where it applies. That doesn't mean they follow US legal requirements when they are not required to. I don't think you'd have a lot of luck trying to get them to follow the same cancellation rule (within 24 hrs of booking), if you booked a ticket from PER to SIN, for example, even if you were inside the US at the time you booked.
Yes, exactly what I meant in my previous post. I just noticed how it could be misinterpreted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.