Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

sin-kul SQ fares 3-6 times higher than others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Am I doing something wrong? Sin-kul is pricing at USD 322 or 436 sing dollars on SQ - this is for a 1 hour flight!

- competitors range from usd 74 -120 (malaysia). It used to be that for this "shuttle" flight MH and SQ were close in price. Is this really right?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:23 am

Yes. Particularly if the flight is within the one week to go stage.

If you book a few months in advance you may be able to find some good prices around $250 SGD mark, yes competitors and LCC’s usually much lower.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:35 am

Yes, SQ charges much higher prices (especially for one ways). I guess they figured they can change this premium between employers and travelers who are willing to pony up the extra cost...
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:08 am

They charge higher price because the higher price are used to subsidize those long haul pax who are connecting to KUL. Same case to Denpasar as well. Easily US$500 return price for SQ to Bali. But apparently they are charging only US$1000 return price from EWR/ JFK to Bali (with the long haul part from EWR in PE).

How to ask singapore paxes to support SQ?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
SQ / MI is the convenient option for a day trip SIN-KUL.

Minimise queuing and waiting times (SIA also try and optimise gates at KUL), lounge access (with status), and you can probably get on an earlier flight coming back if you're at the airport early.

Of course you might pay extra for convenience but that's the value proposition.

Some folks also don't want to fly on Malaysian registered a/c.

I've definitely sampled various airlines going to Kuala Lumpur (Tigerair, Scoot, AirAsia, MAS / MAB, Firefly),
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Except for SQ and MH, the options are LCCs/ULCCs and as mentioned above some people avoid MH.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 20, 2019 at 9:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thanks. I guess I'm just out of date. I'm old enough to remember when I could take a train (and just have to transfer one at the border when the old downtown station existed).
I'm flying into SIN on an award ticket from the US (it's AS award on Cathay - and cant go directly to KUL b/c it's now dragon air flights). Had remembered when I've done this before that the fares were about the same for MH and SQ - times have changed!

ADDED: I just checked rt fare - the rt on SQ is the same as the one way on MH or $200 usd cheaper than the one way on SQ - lesson learned (or rather remembered - always check rt - but it used to just apply to longer trips

Last edited by estnet; Apr 20, 2019 at 3:27 pm
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:47 pm

Depends - far out you can sometimes get decent fares, but usually the best prices are SQ / MI KUL-SIN-KUL. I have booked this and thrown away the return a few times.

Note at the moment a number of MI frequencies are cancelled due to the MAX issues, replaced by SQ in a limited fashion, so this may have tightened availability somewhat

Also worth mentioning that award seat availability is usually good and it is usually included in the "Spontaneous Escapes" promo which makes it even better value
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

The fares for SQ/MI are all listed on the SQ website - but I've discovered that SQ seems to be able to charge a "no show" fee on the lowest fares - so if I don't show up for my return trip they will charge me more money. Is that right? You seem to have a different experience - or perhaps sin-kul-sin has different rules?

The date I need in mid May has too high award mileage and taxes to make it worthwhile for an hour flight. I'm trying to find a flight that CX will interline to so I don't have to go through immigration at SIN but it may not be worth the effort - at least there are choices (just wish the train was still a viable option but it's just too complicated now with luggage)

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Depends - far out you can sometimes get decent fares, but usually the best prices are SQ / MI KUL-SIN-KUL. I have booked this and thrown away the return a few times.

Note at the moment a number of MI frequencies are cancelled due to the MAX issues, replaced by SQ in a limited fashion, so this may have tightened availability somewhat

Also worth mentioning that award seat availability is usually good and it is usually included in the "Spontaneous Escapes" promo which makes it even better value
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
The fares for SQ/MI are all listed on the SQ website - but I've discovered that SQ seems to be able to charge a "no show" fee on the lowest fares - so if I don't show up for my return trip they will charge me more money. Is that right? You seem to have a different experience - or perhaps sin-kul-sin has different rules?

The date I need in mid May has too high award mileage and taxes to make it worthwhile for an hour flight. I'm trying to find a flight that CX will interline to so I don't have to go through immigration at SIN but it may not be worth the effort - at least there are choices (just wish the train was still a viable option but it's just too complicated now with luggage)
think it will be better to take air Asia (since it is also T4, same as CX). If u book SQ, still have to do bus transfer to T2.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK

Why not book MH then?

On this route they are perfectly fine in both J and Y.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by nanyang
(SIA also try and optimise gates at KUL),
While I agree on the other points (schedule etc),and while the product itself is a no competition situation (not that it really matters for this hop), I fail to see how SQ’s gates at KUL (Satellite) are better than MH’s (Main terminal for 737s) for someone looking for a quick hop to/from KUL- the 5 odd minutes that it takes to get to/from the Satellite- if the train is working, add a good 10% or more to your travel time.

OP: You’ll be fine with either MH or SQ. CX will Interline across tickets to both, and the bus transfer T4->T2, while a pain, will be easier than claiming bags at SIN, rechinging with Air Asia, and dealing with the hassle that’s the KLIA2 experience.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I'm flying into SIN on an award ticket from the US (it's AS award on Cathay - and cant go directly to KUL b/c it's now dragon air flights). Had remembered when I've done this before that the fares were about the same for MH and SQ - times have changed!
Why don't you do this on MH instead? If for some reasons (weather is a great reason especially over summer), you are delayed on HKG-SIN and you'll miss your SIN-KUL connection, they can (and I know from experience in the past) re-route you to KUL bypassing SIN (I was told that since I was connecting to a OW flight, they can just re-route me to my final).

On this short 30-40 mins flight (wheels up to wheels down), there are no significant differences between MH/SQ that justifies SQ's cost.

If you don't have checked bags, AK works well since you don't have to change terminals at SIN. And if you have checked bags, CX can definitely check your bags through to KUL on MH (not sure if they will to SQ).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
Why don't you do this on MH instead? If for some reasons (weather is a great reason especially over summer), you are delayed on HKG-SIN and you'll miss your SIN-KUL connection, they can (and I know from experience in the past) re-route you to KUL bypassing SIN (I was told that since I was connecting to a OW flight, they can just re-route me to my final).

On this short 30-40 mins flight (wheels up to wheels down), there are no significant differences between MH/SQ that justifies SQ's cost.

If you don't have checked bags, AK works well since you don't have to change terminals at SIN. And if you have checked bags, CX can definitely check your bags through to KUL on MH (not sure if they will to SQ).
Originally Posted by nanyang
Why not book MH then?

On this route they are perfectly fine in both J and Y.
Am I doing something wrong? Sin-kul is pricing at USD 322 or 436 sing dollars on SQ - this is for a 1 hour flight!

- competitors range from usd 74 -120 (malaysia). It used to be that for this "shuttle" flight MH and SQ were close in price. Is this really right?
MH cheapest may well not include a full check in luggage allowance for certain fares/flights
Economy Lite - Adding Additional Baggage is Expensive
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nov11
Because it is a AS award ticket and I can't use another airline (except AS) in combo with CX.

I don;t mind transferring terminals - I started this thread b/c I was shocked at the one way SQ price but I did find that the rt is CHEAPER than the one way. I thought that the no show fee would apply if I just didn't take the return, but the SQ agent just told me that as long as I cancel the return I will not be charged a no show fee (this doesn't exist in the US and if you cancel sometimes they'll reprice the ticket to a higher one way fare so the plan is the opposite here).
I couldn't find how the no show fee applies on the sQ website - love to see it in print.
In summary - I don't care which carrier I use for this short flight and I appreciate all the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.