Lanson champagne in SKL T3

Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Lanson champagne in SKL T3

Arrived SKL T3 around 11:15am.

Thought I would enjoy a glass of champagne, however there is no self service or bar staff, just a sign saying to ask staff for assistance for wine and champagne. No staff were around, so after 5 minutes loitering, I needed to knock on the service door (3 times). This attracted a few looks from around the lounge. If staff are busy (prep lunch?), then a small buzzer would have been a preferred way to get staff attention.

It took several goes before a staff member responded, and directed another staff member to sort me out. She arrived with a bottle of Lanson (?) and provided a glass. This seemed to be an inconvenient chore for her...

All in all, the simple task of a glass of champagne was rather a dull less-than-premium experience. Although in the SKL at HKG it was self service, at least the process was simple and fast.

Is this somewhat lacklustre situation the usual case for SQ’s home base business class lounge?

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:40 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I thought they brought it back for self-service, after a long time having to knock on the service door...........
At one point I filled up a couple of glasses to avoid "disturbing" the staff
Agree with you Thai-Kiwi, a small service bell, would have done the trick.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Flew from T2 SKL a few timest in the last months and it was usually Charles Heidsieck IIRC and self serve. Agree a reverting to knocking / asking would be a major pain. If you don't want to offer champagne, just be upfront about it.

Last edited by demue; Apr 17, 2019 at 6:59 am
Old May 1, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This morning at T2 SKL J side there was Taittinger out in the open though a bit early for me. Had a TWG tea instead.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:51 pm

Taittinger was available in T2 SKL J and T3 SKL J on Friday.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
I've seen a mixture of Taittinger, Lanson, but mostly Charles in the SKL J lounge. I think Charles is the default, while the rest are substitutes only if they run out of stock.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Cool Knock Three Times

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Arrived SKL T3 around 11:15am.
Thought I would enjoy a glass of champagne, however there is no self service or bar staff, just a sign saying to ask staff for assistance for wine and champagne. No staff were around, so after 5 minutes loitering, I needed to knock on the service door (3 times).
This attracted a few looks from around the lounge. If staff are busy (prep lunch?), then a small buzzer would have been a preferred way to get staff attention.
It took several goes before a staff member responded, and directed another staff member to sort me out.
She arrived with a bottle of Lanson (?) and provided a glass. This seemed to be an inconvenient chore for her...
All in all, the simple task of a glass of champagne was rather a dull less-than-premium experience.
Although in the SKL at HKG it was self service, at least the process was simple and fast.
Is this somewhat lackluster situation the usual case for SQ’s home base business class lounge?
No it's not, perhaps they were busy in the kitchen cleaning up or prepping for the afternoon/evening service - lunch service would have been ready & put out by the time you were there.

Last Mar. I asked a staff for a glass of champagne & she looked at me puzzled - and said that it was "outside"
(meaning @ the counter by the wines & spirits)
From that reaction, I am guessing it's been self service for a while now.
And it was a late night dep. so the T3 SKL lounge was jam packed, and the service staff I spoke to were cheerful & helpful.
One lady even suggested that I try a little bit of everything at the buffet to try to keep me awake until boarding for my flight begins ..

Are you saying that during your visit, there was no champagne laid out at the drinks counter?

Old May 2, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by pokfur
I've seen a mixture of Taittinger, Lanson, but mostly Charles in the SKL J lounge. I think Charles is the default, while the rest are substitutes only if they run out of stock.
I've spotted Lanson & Charles H. in the SKL, while in the air they are still serving Charles H.

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Taittinger was available in T2 SKL J and T3 SKL J on Friday.
I've not seen Taittinger in the SKL yet, perhaps next month ^
Old May 3, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Was Lanson in T2 last week when I was in, this week was Taittinger, although both were self serve, the bottle of Taittinger was empty and I had to ask a lounge host for a replacement bottle, took a few mins. No bathrooms in the business side either, all closed for maintenance, so first toilets available. I hope they keep up the Lanson and Taittinger combo...it helps soothe the soul given the lack of any windows or natural light in a so called flagship lounge!
Old May 4, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kaffir76
Are you saying that during your visit, there was no champagne laid out at the drinks counter?
Yes. I did a careful check as I didn’t want to be ‘that guy’, before asking staff.

Anyway, I suspect I just wandered in at just the wrong time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.