FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Award ticket cost more miles than calculated (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1965578-award-ticket-cost-more-miles-than-calculated.html)

MKLDH Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Award ticket cost more miles than calculated

Hi all I'm new to the KrisFlyer stuff, and I am really confused about something that I notice today. When searching for a business class award ticket from LAX to HKG via SIN, the mile cost is supposed to be 115k for an Advantage ticket according to the calculator on the SQ website, and that is also what's shown on the flight selection page. While after I click on one of the flights offered, the mile cost shown in the booking summary suddenly jumps to 175k. I tried several different dates and flight choices yet the same scenario always occurs. In contrast, I searched for flights departing from SFO and encountered no problem there. Could anyone please shed some light on this topic? Thanks!

lokijuh Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm

The 115k requirement you see in the calculator only applies to the non-stop flight between HKG and SFO. If you travel SFO-SIN-HKG then you are essentially purchasing two awards. The best reference for this is the award chart. On the flight selection page it is a rather unfortunate programming error!

Troopers Apr 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Welcome to FT!

The calculator and award chart is by zone. LAX and SFO are in zone 12, USA West coast. But because SQ doesn't fly LAX direct to HKG, you have to fly via SIN and "backtrack". LAX-SIN is 125k (zone 12 to zone 1) plus SIN-HKG (zone 1 to zone 4) is 50k equals the 175k total for LAX to HKG via SIN. SFO-HKG is 115k because SQ flys SFO direct to HKG (zone 12 to zone 4).

RMDZidane Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Yes. I had this pop up on me also. Thanks for the clarifying info. A stopover could be had in TYO from L.A if the thread starter would like instead. I have taken a flight up to SFO to get onto SQ1 (one of my favorites for some reason :-) ) for the stopover in HKG. In fact I'm going again in a couple of weeks

MKLDH Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 31004263)
The 115k requirement you see in the calculator only applies to the non-stop flight between HKG and SFO. If you travel SFO-SIN-HKG then you are essentially purchasing two awards. The best reference for this is the award chart. On the flight selection page it is a rather unfortunate programming error!

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 31004271)
Welcome to FT!

The calculator and award chart is by zone. LAX and SFO are in zone 12, USA West coast. But because SQ doesn't fly LAX direct to HKG, you have to fly via SIN and "backtrack". LAX-SIN is 125k (zone 12 to zone 1) plus SIN-HKG (zone 1 to zone 4) is 50k equals the 175k total for LAX to HKG via SIN. SFO-HKG is 115k because SQ flys SFO direct to HKG (zone 12 to zone 4).

Thank you both for the clarification and that really helps!

MKLDH Apr 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RMDZidane (Post 31004763)
Yes. I had this pop up on me also. Thanks for the clarifying info. A stopover could be had in TYO from L.A if the thread starter would like instead. I have taken a flight up to SFO to get onto SQ1 (one of my favorites for some reason :-) ) for the stopover in HKG. In fact I'm going again in a couple of weeks

A stopover in TYO would be nice except I will be heading to Japan for work very soon anyway, so maybe not this time;)
BTW have you also taken SQ31/33 with A350? If so how do you like it when compared to SQ1?

RMDZidane Apr 16, 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by MKLDH (Post 31007107)
A stopover in TYO would be nice except I will be heading to Japan for work very soon anyway, so maybe not this time;)
BTW have you also taken SQ31/33 with A350? If so how do you like it when compared to SQ1?

I haven't taken SQ33 yet but I do have a ticket later in the summer. I have taken Cathay SFO-HKG on their A350 and it was pretty cool. I felt more refreshed than usual after that flight.

MKLDH Apr 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by RMDZidane (Post 31007741)
I haven't taken SQ33 yet but I do have a ticket later in the summer. I have taken Cathay SFO-HKG on their A350 and it was pretty cool. I felt more refreshed than usual after that flight.

My only concerned with SQ's 350 is the foot space in their new business class seats --- I heard they are tiny for most of the seats. In contrast CX just uses their standard reverse herringbone seats. So it might be interesting to just compare the two products:)

Troopers Apr 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by MKLDH (Post 31007107)

I flew SQ33/34 about 2 wks ago, and SQ1/2 & SQ31/32 several times over the last few years. Obviously, the nonstops are longer flights. Other than that, I didn't notice an appreciable difference between the A359 and the 77W.

Troopers Apr 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by MKLDH (Post 31008059)
My only concerned with SQ's 350 is the foot space in their new business class seats --- I heard they are tiny for most of the seats. In contrast CX just uses their standard reverse herringbone seats. So it might be interesting to just compare the two products:)

I believe the foot cubby on the 77W is a tad bigger than the A359 but the design is the same. Take a look at the seat specific thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...lass-seat.html

RMDZidane Apr 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Now that I think about it, I did take a SQ A350 flight. It was from HK to Singapore about five months ago. I couldn't tell any real difference in foot cubby space. I really like the design of the SQ J seats overall. I don't agree with others who complain about sleeping 'sideways'. I was just as comfortable as I've always been on one of their flights.