Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines grounds two 787-10 over engine problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Singapore Air ground two of it’s 787-10 with Rolls Royce Trent 1000 Ten engines due to premature blade deterioration. Could other airlines follow?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...ost_recent_box
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Singapore Air ground two of it’s 787-10 with Rolls Royce Trent 1000 Ten engines due to premature blade deterioration. Could other airlines follow?
Unlikely that other operators of 787-10’s will be following. As far as I can tell there are only 3 airlines that have taken delivery of 787-10’s so far - SQ, UA and EY. The latter two are using GE engines.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
From linked article:
As of late February, Rolls-Royce said 35 787s were grounded globally due to engine blades corroding or cracking prematurely. The manufacturer said it was aiming to reduce the number to 10 by the end of the year.
I did not realize this problem was so widespread.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Have been on one of the affected planes 9V-SCF three weeks ago from NRT to SIN. Seems to be an unresolved issue with the Trent 1000.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
This is annoying. Was scheduled to fly on a 787 in the next few days. Aircraft has now been changed to a 772, with the old regional J product.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chisquared
This is annoying. Was scheduled to fly on a 787 in the next few days. Aircraft has now been changed to a 772, with the old regional J product.

Yes, it is annoying, but I rather be in a safe aircraft than in a mid air crisis.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:51 am

Yes, it is annoying, but I rather be in a safe aircraft than in a mid air crisis.
Of course. I did not mean that I wish they didn't ground the problematic aircraft. I just wish they choose to keep the 787 on the route I am flying, since they haven't grounded all of the 787s.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Of course. I did not mean that I wish they didn't ground the problematic aircraft. I just wish they choose to keep the 787 on the route I am flying, since they haven't grounded all of the 787s.
I totally understand. You could be in my shoes. I’m booked on TK in a week with a 9 1/2 hour layover to the US. With this new airport mess, there is no Bosphorus Experience, no TourIstanbul, no arrival lounge, and who knows if the business lounge will really be open of for that matter the airport as FAA inspection is not schedule until May.
safe Travels!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm really surprised Rolls Royce hasn't resolved this issue for new engine deliveries. Doesn't it already have a "fix" for the old ones?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:18 am

I totally understand. You could be in my shoes. I’m booked on TK in a week with a 9 1/2 hour layover to the US. With this new airport mess, there is no Bosphorus Experience, no TourIstanbul, no arrival lounge, and who knows if the business lounge will really be open of for that matter the airport as FAA inspection is not schedule until May.
safe Travels!
Thanks! Safe travels to you as well. My understanding is that the TK lounge should be open the same day the new airport starts operating. That being said, things haven't quite gone according to plan for the transfer to the new airport, so who knows what might happen.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Safe travels to you as well. My understanding is that the TK lounge should be open the same day the new airport starts operating. That being said, things haven't quite gone according to plan for the transfer to the new airport, so who knows what might happen.

Yes I don’t have any faith with their track record being what it is. What really worries me, is is FAA does not certify the security procedures, TK flight may not be allowed in US airspace, but this is getting off topic.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
May be unrelated. But the Jetstar's Boeing 787 plane suffers engines problem as well:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...27-p5183s.html
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:34 pm

Air New Zealand too

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...tember-456176/
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hclee01
May be unrelated. But the Jetstar's Boeing 787 plane suffers engines problem as well:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...27-p5183s.html

Different engine. JetStar uses General Electric GENX engines not Rolls Royce Trent.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs down SQ 918 / SQ 915 updates

I had the misfortune of being booked on the SIN-MNL flights last week that were originally scheduled for 787 service but as 2 aircraft were grounded, it was taken out of the MNL rotation (PER & BKK are still being serviced by the 787)

After much going back & forth with KF reservations, I was able to change the outbound free of charge to an earlier 2pm dep. but when I called back to inquire about changing the inbound, the CSO said that the changes could only be waived once ... at no point during our many phone calls did she mention this to be the case. She then said that she would have to ask for waiver again & this time it was not guaranteed. This was handled by another agent & due to him calling the wrong contact no. he was unable to reach me until the day or two before I was to return to SIN.

Even when we managed to get a hold of each other, the agent asked if I wanted to change my flight due to a schedule change & I said no, it is because of an equipment swap.
In the end I just gave up. I took the 7.40am dep. out of MNL & the sole consolation was that traffic was smooth going to NAIA & check in at the airport was organized & orderly - they even had a separate KF Gold check in counter so that J class pax could check in w/o having to wait too long.

Security & passport control was a nightmare & it was a good thing I had an APEC card.

The aircraft was swapped to an A330 and it was a terrible product. The only reason why I booked a flight with a 7.40am dep out of MNL was to fly the latest business class product, not an outdated, uncomfortable A330 or 773 with a recliner seat & no direct aisle access.

Looking back, I should not have taken the 2pm dep ex-SIN as we arrived into MNL right smack during peak hour traffic - I should have stuck with the original flight with an arrival time of 11pm into MNL.

I've got a few more trips to MNL in the next few months so I'll definitely be monitoring the situation; if the 787 is still grounded next month then I'm going to explore all options including getting a refund.

I'm just curious why the MNL rotation was affected, & does anyone know which route/pattern this aircraft is doing during the day - after the MNL flights gets in at 11am & before it departs later in the evening at 7.30pm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.