Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

First time on SQ C: JFK-SIN-CNX - tips/pointers

First time on SQ C: JFK-SIN-CNX - tips/pointers

Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Question First time on SQ C: JFK-SIN-CNX - tips/pointers

Greetings!

The wife and I are flying SQ C in a few weeks JFK-FRA-SIN, connecting onto MI up to CNX also in C.

My first time on SQ and keen to try and make the most of an unusual opportunity given my typical flying patterns. I've picked the last row upstairs to avoid the small footwell and my wife is in the window seat in front (I appreciate there is an exit row between us but there's only one bulkhead seat left and I'm almost a foot taller than her!). We were also planning on doing Book the Cook too. If we do BTC is it possible/frowned upon to switch onboard if we feel like it? .

I have used SIN quite a few times before but on other carriers. From what I can tell our flight from FRA will arrive into T3 and SilkAir only use T2, given T3 is newer are the lounges there the ones to go for or are the ones in T2 comparable and we should just head over there? If sticking in T3 how long should we give ourselves to get from the T2 lounges to T3 given gate security and the transit? I have used BA, CX and JL ex-SIN and none of them had premium/priority security at the gate, they just called premium passengers from the lounge towards the end of boarding but I doubt SQ/MI does this, I assume SQ/MI have no premium security at the gate but wasn't sure if given "home territory" if it's the same...

Lastly, and probably a contentious subject. Weight limit on hand luggage. The vast majority of my flights are on US carriers or BA where weight and carry-ons are overlooked so when I find myself on a carrier with weight restrictions I'm caught a little off guard! Is the 7kg limit stated but not really enforced for premium passengers? I flew OS C last summer and despite a weight limit there wasn't even a sniff of anyone checking anything on any of my flights. If it is strictly enforced how does the "pieces for US flights" get covered if I'm connecting to MI? I was planing on using my 20" Tumi G4.

Thanks for any tips and pointers!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Plat
You booked a bulkhead row, but with the bulkhead behind you ?? Don’t see how you expect that to give you a wide foot well in bed mode, when there’s a seat in front of you. I understand it’s only J class seats Facing The Bulkhead that get the extra space, ie. rows 11, 17 and whatever is first row of the rear, 3rd J section upstairs., because there’s no seat in front of them.. happy for you to report that’s not the case tho

do some reconnaissance on location of sky train before you use silver kris T3 lounge. That way you will know how long to transit T3 to T2. Train itself is maybe 5 mins including a min/two waiting.

standard security for everyone at the gate..

never had a carry on checked for weight with SQ
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Thank you for the information.

The last row on the A380 upstairs is behind the exit row so you have a bulkhead in front of you. Scroll down for pics:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/sin...class-jfk-fra/

Last edited by Fraser; Mar 24, 2019 at 8:00 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
If you BTC and change your mind onboard, feel free to let your flight attendant know. They'll do their best to accommodate you. If they run out of the meal you'd rather eat instead, however, you will probably have to stick with what you ordered.

I think the T3 SKL is a little better than the one in T2, but I don't think the difference is significant. I'd stay in T3 if my layover were long enough. Otherwise, I would go directly to T2. I would budget about 20-30 minutes for travelling from the T3 SKL to your T2 gate, depending on where exactly the T2 gate is. the iChangi mobile app might be helpful for planning how much time it'll take to get from the lounge to your gate. There won't be dedicated security screening for premium passengers at your gate, but you'll find that the standard security screening takes very little time anyway. I find that arriving at the gate exactly when boarding is scheduled gives me plenty of time to get through security.

I've never had issues with hand luggage on SQ, even when flying in Y. As long as your hand-carried luggage doesn't look ridiculously oversized/overweight, you should be fine. (In fact, I suspect you'll be fine even if your hand luggage looked ridiculously oversized/overweight, but I wouldn't risk it!)
Fraser likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by chisquared
If you BTC and change your mind onboard, feel free to let your flight attendant know. They'll do their best to accommodate you. If they run out of the meal you'd rather eat instead, however, you will probably have to stick with what you ordered.
Im in suites on this route in July, Will it probably be possible for me to eat off the regular catering for dinner then eat my BTC for breakfast instead of the continental?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Fraser, what is the actual seat number you chose for the JFK to SIN flight?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by jinrop
Im in suites on this route in July, Will it probably be possible for me to eat off the regular catering for dinner then eat my BTC for breakfast instead of the continental?
Yes. After the other pax have their first dibs on the regular dinner menu items, you can pick something from whatever's left and transfer your BTC to the breakfast service. Just let your intentions be known to the crew when they come by before the first meal service to confirm that you have ordered BTC.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
Thank you for the information.

The last row on the A380 upstairs is behind the exit row so you have a bulkhead in front of you. Scroll down for pics:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/sin...class-jfk-fra/

My own experience was this seat was a nice one. However,bear in mind the two seats to the right are also bassinet seats so you could end up with a screaming baby next to you. I got the baby but it barely made a peep throughout the entire flight.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Fraser, what is the actual seat number you chose for the JFK to SIN flight?
This is 96K

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
My own experience was this seat was a nice one. However,bear in mind the two seats to the right are also bassinet seats so you could end up with a screaming baby next to you. I got the baby but it barely made a peep throughout the entire flight.
Indeed, I had spotted the bassinet logo and it is something of a risk. Unfortunately as this is fairly short notice there are only a handful of seats that are adjacent available all of which would be within earshot of a screamer if they were there. Currently 96D and 96F are unassigned.

So on a related note, I know SQ don't offer amenity kits in C but there are amenity kit-esque stocks onboard. Where are the earplugs?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
This is 96K
It's a great seat but be aware that this area gets frigid.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have a July A380 flight from JFK>FRA>SIN>USM. My JFK>FRA>SIN flight only has rows 11 - 27.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I have a July A380 flight from JFK>FRA>SIN>USM. My JFK>FRA>SIN flight only has rows 11 - 27.
The all-business-upper-deck A380 is being taken out for refitting during this period.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
96 is a fantastic seat. Often no infants anyway.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thought I'd just report back to say the flights were excellent.

Although the seatmap was very full both sectors were very light. I had the whole of row 96 to myself on JFK-FRA so the wife moved from 95K to be next to me on that one. She took 96K on the FRA-SIN leg as it was much cooler and she overheats onboard easily and I went to 95K as a family with a baby showed up for the middle seats in row 96.

Our rollerbags were weighed at JFK check-in and whilst over the limit the agent said we should be aware of the limits for future travel. Nothing mentioned at the gates at JFK (even though the check-in agent was the one who boarded us!), FRA or SIN.

Had Tony Tan, former president of Singapore (at least that's what the Singaporean in front of us in the Priority boarding line said) , on the FRA-SIN flight who pre-boarded ahead of Suites passengers.
jinrop and Singapore_Air like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.