Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PPS earning to New York

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

PPS earning to New York

I am trying to get to PPS and have a choice of flying direct to EWR and indirect via FRA to JFK. Which one is most likely to earn more PPS?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:47 pm

the ticket that has a higher fare, excluding taxes
lokijuh likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Wouldn't it be "easier" to earn PPS by flying F somewhere instead (ie JFK via FRA?)... to SYD? or elsewhere?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by epigram
the ticket that has a higher fare, excluding taxes
Yep, 100%correct. PPS dollars are accrued solely on the fare paid, minus government/airport taxes, converted into SGD.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I am trying to get to PPS and have a choice of flying direct to EWR and indirect via FRA to JFK. Which one is most likely to earn more PPS?
If you just want to qualify for PPS, the simplest way would be to pick the most expensive fare you can possibly find on the route.

It's purely based on the fares and it has no bearing to mileage etc.

Full fare suite/first will do the trick very quickly, painlessly and easily.

Painlessly in terms of flying, although your bank balance may feel the pain.

I tell you what though, the only PPS benefit I have used so far is the double baggage allowance
shuuy likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If you just want to qualify for PPS, the simplest way would be to pick the most expensive fare you can possibly find on the route.

It's purely based on the fares and it has no bearing to mileage etc.

Full fare suite/first will do the trick very quickly, painlessly and easily.

Painlessly in terms of flying, although your bank balance may feel the pain.

I tell you what though, the only PPS benefit I have used so far is the double baggage allowance
Thanks a lot for the advice. i was trying to find which of the two was the most expensive, but they are roughly the same.

I was also looking at the PPS benefits and actually you are totally right, it's not a lot!!! I might as well stick to British Airways Executive Club!!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I was also looking at the PPS benefits and actually you are totally right, it's not a lot!!! I might as well stick to British Airways Executive Club!!
Compared to KF elite gold, the one I found most useful is showers in the lounges at SIN if flying economy
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:27 pm

Haha! I do have the GGL/CCR with BA and compared to that, the benefits don't seem much (even compared to BA Gold in fact), although I use the extra baggage allowance a lot so it's well justified for me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to earn it if I didn't have the excess baggage requirement.

I once got stung USD 300 for being 5 kg over that I could have simply carried as a second piece of hand luggage when flying revenue F on SQ and I felt really stupid but also realised just how expensive their excess baggage fees were compared to BA. Overall I think I've saved about USD 10k in excess baggage charges by being a PPS, but that's about it!

One major advantage of PPS though is that you can earn PPS while you credit the miles elsewhere. Mine goes to LH and A3. This reduces the use of PPS benefits as a lot of the benefits are linked to spending miles, but at the same time, some mileage schemes earn more than you would on KF for some fare buckets (although you need to look carefully at your redemption rates because there are major differences between M&M and KF for instance, which can negate the earnings differences!).

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Compared to KF elite gold, the one I found most useful is showers in the lounges at SIN if flying economy
Are KF Gold not allowed to have a shower at the lounge?
Or is that because there is none at the Gold lounge?
I've never been to the Gold lounge so I haven't a clue
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Are KF Gold not allowed to have a shower at the lounge?
Or is that because there is none at the Gold lounge?
I've never been to the Gold lounge so I haven't a clue
Correct - no showers in the gold lounge at SIN.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Overall I think I've saved about USD 10k in excess baggage charges by being a PPS, but that's about it!
It's a great benefit if you could find a way to make good use of it. Back when I was furnishing my apartment, I used to order stupidly bulky and heavy things like audio systems (half the price in Australia), cast iron pots and pans (half the price in Europe) and a telescope (half the price in the US) with wild abandon whenever I travelled for work and had them shipped to my hotel to be brought home with me on my SQ flight. Saved a bundle, even after factoring the 7% GST in Singapore. The baggage benefit applies to your partner too, if he/she is flying with you.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
I once got stung USD 300 for being 5 kg over
How did you not get away with being 5 kg over while flying in F? Where were you flying from?

Originally Posted by cowie
Back when I was furnishing my apartment, I used to order stupidly bulky and heavy things like audio systems (half the price in Australia), cast iron pots and pans (half the price in Europe) and a telescope (half the price in the US) with wild abandon whenever I travelled for work and had them shipped to my hotel to be brought home with me on my SQ flight.
How did you pack them? Would you just check them in in the original packaging?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by chisquared

How did you not get away with being 5 kg over while flying in F? Where were you flying from?
TYO. I can't remember if it was NRT or HND.

ANA check-in staff, not SQ staff.

It was my fault for being over the limit, and my fault for not thinking of simply carrying some of it as my 2nd piece of hand luggage, but I have to say it left a bit of a bitter taste in my moth as the ticket was full fare revenue and 10% over isn't too outrageously over.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
One major advantage of PPS though is that you can earn PPS while you credit the miles elsewhere. Mine goes to LH and A3. This reduces the use of PPS benefits as a lot of the benefits are linked to spending miles, but at the same time, some mileage schemes earn more than you would on KF for some fare buckets (although you need to look carefully at your redemption rates because there are major differences between M&M and KF for instance, which can negate the earnings differences!).
Moreso you can double dip on Status. For a few years I got to SEN (*G) in Miles & More and to PPS from the same flights.

Also for me the best PPS benefit apart from award waitlist clearing is PPS Connect. Getting a call back and not having to call, go through an IVR and wait on hold is great.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by chisquared
How did you pack them? Would you just check them in in the original packaging?
Yes. Since I had them delivered to the hotel, they would have already been appropriately packed for shipping. (I keep a roll of heavy duty tape in my travel kit for resealing parcels after checking that the contents are ok.)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by vantage03

Moreso you can double dip on Status. For a few years I got to SEN (*G) in Miles & More and to PPS from the same flights.

Also for me the best PPS benefit apart from award waitlist clearing is PPS Connect. Getting a call back and not having to call, go through an IVR and wait on hold is great.
I get SEN from my SQ flights, and top up my A3 Gold with it when needed. That has disadvantages of course of not being able to use KF miles and waitlist priority since you don't earn KF miles but on balance it can be petty good, esp. x3 miles for F earnings and x2 miles for U upwards.

I've not bothered with the PPS Connect because I've never needed to hold to SQ anyway. Sometimes benefits don't seem like benefits because they are good even without using it (I think they have a prioritisation system based on the membership number input? I only ever use the phone keys however, not IVR, and if I had to use the IVR, I'd definitely use PPS Connect because I absolutely detest IVR.)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 15, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.