Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The SQ 787 - shockingly bad J-class seat :( !!

The SQ 787 - shockingly bad J-class seat :( !!

Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Smile Update time!

Originally Posted by pokfur
Which cabin class are you in? In economy, the A330 would have the best seat of the lot compared to all the old 777s. SQ doesn’t fly the 77W to MNL unless it’s a last minute swap.
In JCL, the A330 seat is no different to the 773. The flights you’ll wanna catch is 912/919 flight pair operated by the 77E which has the 2006 lie-flat seats
I was in Business class.
Before this flight to MNL, I've not flown J class in the 773 before, & only a few times on the A330 on the short flight to & from KUL.
I guess the issue was because I've only flown on the newest product (A359) to the US a few times, the older aircraft cabin & seats just pale in comparison
Simply put - I wouldn't be paying SQ prices for J class for any flight other than in the A350, A380 & 787.
p/s - there was one flight that week operated by the 77W aircraft.

-------

Anyway I did the 787 to MNL last month & it was an awesome flight. It was a short 2N stay for me so I got to fly back with the same set of cabin crew.
Service was excellent, as I spent most of the time chatting with them during the dinner meal service to MNL.
But on the way back, I was asleep for most of the flight (2/3 hours - woke up to eat just before arrival)

I didn't notice anything constricting or obstructive in the seat itself but if you think a partial wrap around seat back partition is "shockingly bad" then you must not have tried the Qsuite on QATAR.

I slept, I ate and I had an awesome set of crew taking care of me, so to me it was a good flight.
I'll be taking the flight again next week & in the next couple of months so I'll be sure to take note of all the issues raised in this thread & examine them one by one on my flight
Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:46 am

Flew on the SQ Boeing 787-10 Regional from Singapore to Incheon recently, and I quite liked the seat. Yes, it is not as wide as their long-haul aircraft, but it is straight (not angled), and I can easily convert it into a bed at the press of the button. I have no complaints. Here is my entire flight review.

Virginia Emery and AlexanderK like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:56 am

Just flew 787-10 fromDPS-SIN. I’m 194/6’4” 91kg/200lbs, athletic build.. I wasn’t tired, but decided to lie flat to test. Was “shocked” at how narrow bed is. No way I could sleep on my back without my arm falling out the side. And the config with seat next to aisle makes it worse. No privacy, staring at the tv screen across and one forward from me the whole flight, and people walking by millimeters away. I’d have a really hard time with that on a long flight.

About to board A350 for SIN-SFO As I’ve got really big feet, the only way I can fly 350 is on one of the bulkhead seats, otherwise my toes are jammed into the top of the footwell.

Alas, not easy for us larger folks.
I still prefer CX J (on any equipment) but haven’t flown them since pandemic started.
Trying Qatar next month. High hopes there!
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hope you lowered the armrests on the regional J seat, it makes it a bit better though I'd agree that the seat can be a bit of a tight fit. I'm 5"12 or 6"00 depending on time of the day and while I don't have an issue sleeping in the seat, without lowering the armrests it would be uncomfortable.

​​​​​
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by mlondon
Just flew 787-10 fromDPS-SIN. I’m 194/6’4” 91kg/200lbs, athletic build.. I wasn’t tired, but decided to lie flat to test. Was “shocked” at how narrow bed is. No way I could sleep on my back without my arm falling out the side. And the config with seat next to aisle makes it worse. No privacy, staring at the tv screen across and one forward from me the whole flight, and people walking by millimeters away. I’d have a really hard time with that on a long flight.

About to board A350 for SIN-SFO As I’ve got really big feet, the only way I can fly 350 is on one of the bulkhead seats, otherwise my toes are jammed into the top of the footwell.

Alas, not easy for us larger folks.
I still prefer CX J (on any equipment) but haven’t flown them since pandemic started.
Trying Qatar next month. High hopes there!
We just flew that route in J, in both the 787-10 and the A350-900. I'm 5'4" and 125 lbs and I strongly disliked the seat (see my review here). QR is FAR superior, especially if you get one of the Qsuites. The next time we head to Asia we will try out Japan airlines, but not expecting much there either. Awaiting the return of CX.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mlondon
Really? I used to do around 90 CX sectors annually (former MPC Diamond) and found the newer CX regional J to be about the most uncomfortable J seat I've ever flown on. Standard longhaul J of course is ok. As for the medium haul 787-10 and A350, yes a bit tighter. I've done overnight on the 787-10 and I'm a bit smaller than you (6'3") and was ok. But admittedly it's from a point of relativity...before that seat I was often doing overnight on SQ's A330 angled lie flats so the 787-10 was a godsend.
sl00001 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Really? I used to do around 90 CX sectors annually (former MPC Diamond) and found the newer CX regional J to be about the most uncomfortable J seat I've ever flown on. Standard longhaul J of course is ok.
Exactly. Especially red eye HKG-SIN on CX regional J cradle seat - is brutal. Give me the SQ J flip over seats anytime, even before their regional J is introduced.
Singapore_Air and bpk6h like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Each to their own and preferences differ, but I also find the CX regional J seat to be inferior to SQs.

Also, someone compared the SQ regional J to QRs QSuite and sure, the QSuite is hands down superior. To be fair though, SQs regional J seat is for flights up to 7-8 hrs max and not used on real long haul flights and was never planned to be as good.

One should rather compare a QSuite to SQs longhaul J and yes, QR seat would still be superior, but that is an entirely different conversation.
bpk6h likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
It's the inconsistency that irks passengers: unless you are a pro you never know what seat you get.

When the unassuming passenger books Business Class on the SQ webpage, A350 can mean both the international as well as the regional product.

Sydney sees overnight flights on international Business Class with decent bedding (as in mattress, pillows and blanket) and regional Business Class (with one tiny substandard pillow and a lousy blanket).

Regional J is fine for flights of up to 4-5 hours or day flights to TYO and SYD/MEL. Overnight flights of more than 6 hours require at least the same bedding as International Business Class.
Singapore_Air and FlyingJoy like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:13 pm

Fair enough, I'll have the seats on B789's to DPS (perfectly fine) and Japan (if it opens by then) and even for 7hrs it is still better than what it replaced , but I fully agree on the oddity of lower quality bedding and all.

Of course outside of SQ, there are better products for such up to 8hrs flights, but also a fair number of worse ones. SYD should not get the regional seat, but I guess that is wishful thinking at the moment. Oh well. YMMV.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by SMK77
Regional J is fine for flights of up to 4-5 hours or day flights to TYO and SYD/MEL. Overnight flights of more than 6 hours require at least the same bedding as International Business Class.
This is exactly how I feel too. I recently flew MEL-SIN (day flight) and SIN-MEL (overnight) in the regional J seat. I don't have any issues getting comfortable in the seat, being a petite Asian woman. Also, I secured 19K for both flights, which is IMO one of the best seats in the house. I enjoyed having the two windows, larger footwell and extra storage space. I was able to sleep comfortably, and I like the screen better than the one on the international J seats.

However, I can empathise with taller and/or larger folks who may find the regional seat cramped. The guy across the aisle from me on one of the flights, a PPS Solitaire member, evidently did not realise that SQ was still running regional configured A350s on the MEL route and was absolutely irate about it. He summoned one of the FAs before takeoff and gave him an earful about the seat, complaining that it was "like flying economy". While I don't necessarily agree with lashing out at an FA about it, I definitely see his point. I don't think I would enjoy this seat too much either if I weren't in 19A or 19K, and I did miss the width and proper bedding of long haul J.
whughes3 and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:46 am

No doubt the SQ regional J seat is quite tight and cramped compared to the long-haul J.

I guess it is a good idea for passengers to do some research before booking!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.