Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racial Profiling on SQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by williamluk
Actually its well known that SQ treats single females (white and Asian both) worst than they treat men in general at J or F cabins and my observations pretty much confirmed that. Whenever I traveled with my wife we always tried to sit front and back (and the crew usually have no ideas we are together) if the configuration is 1-2-1 so we could both get single window seat. They are always so nice to me, filling up my Pierrer automatically, adjusted my blanket while I am asleep . . . etc. My wife, on the other end, usually get zip. At one point I thought she's going die from thirst!! Its actually quite funny if you are not at the receiving end of it
Did you have higher status than her though?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:21 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by tinypsu
I have been flying SQ for number of years, and flew them again this past weekend.

Europeans (white) people generally get better treatment in Asia, but on this SQ flight in Premium Economy it was taken to the next level - I am India, and did not order any special meal - yet the FA comes over and says we will serve veg meals shorts, ummm what does that have to do with me?

She offered Champagne to my co-passenger, and not to me ... He was European

Has anyone else observed this?
Yeah on CX they often don’t bother to offer the white people congee or if they do you can see they’re already reaching for the eggs with their little server tool.

They also proactively extend their hand with a UK landing card if you’re Chinese and wait for you to prompt them for one if you’re white and vice versa with the HK landing cards...

Couldnt care less, world is filling up with overly sensitive people who can’t go out their front door without getting offended.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:22 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Ps... you just assumed the entire continent of Europe is white.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As this post seems to be a place to share racial assumptions, here’s my 2 cents.
I noticed almost anyone who looks like they are from Indian subcontinent are detained at HKIA for investigation, even if they have valid visas.
The opposite is also observed - anyone who looks like they are of Chinese descent are questioned more than others at Indian immigration. My wild guess is the authorities want to confirm they are not from Huawei.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by spk307
As this post seems to be a place to share racial assumptions......

Well, OP's intent was his feeling that he was racially profiled by SQ, followed by personal experiences of other posters, suggestions for him on future SQ flights and yes, a discussion of the differences between cultural bias, racial profiling and racism. (IMHO, a rather enlightening discussion)

....My wild guess is the authorities want to confirm they are not from Huawei.
LOL. That's because they are in Canada.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

As this post seems to be a place to share racial assumptions, here’s my 2 cents.
I noticed almost anyone who looks like they are from Indian subcontinent are detained at HKIA for investigation, even if they have valid visas.
The opposite is also observed - anyone who looks like they are of Chinese descent are questioned more than others at Indian immigration. My wild guess is the authorities want to confirm they are not from Huawei.
Or simply the countries (I include HK as part of China here) have not been on friendly terms for years!!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Or simply the countries (I include HK as part of China here) have not been on friendly terms for years!!
This.

I work in a regional office in SG with many european assignees. Anytime China or India get into a little row with another country, you see that manifested in delayed visa applications, additional steps (F2F interviews), or even outright rejections.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Actually its well known that SQ treats single females (white and Asian both) worst than they treat men in general at J or F cabins and my observations pretty much confirmed that.
Hmm interestingly enough I have the opposite observation. Granted I'm not the most frequent of premium cabin flyers (just once a year), but I always find my wife gets friendlier and better service than I do, especially when there's a male FA, who usually goes out of his way to joke & make small talk with her (but not with me). Maybe I have an unfriendly / unapproachable face :P
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
As a white male, it is easy to make the assumption that everyone is treated the same as me; or that when they are not, it is a momentary lapse of service. However I have talked enough to friends and colleagues who are not white men and they (universally) tell me that they experience lower levels of service. One exchange that particularly struck me was a middle-aged Pakistani male colleague in London who asked me how often I got pulled over by the police. I said it had happened once when I was speeding. He told me this was a regular occurrence for him on suspicion of being a black man driving a car.

My guess is that the OP was slighted on the flight and that this is not his first experience of inferior treatment. I can understand the white man response of saying he could/should have raised it with the in-flight supervisor but I could equally understand that he is weary of having to demand equal treatment and sometimes it is easier to not cause a fuss and vent later in a more anonymous way.

FWIW, I am grateful to anyone who tells me that I might have treated them unfavourably as a result of my prejudice - it helps me be more aware of my prejudices ad the situations when they may cause me to make poor decisions. But I also know that they shouldn't have to do so and they have no obligation to turn my own poor conduct into a development opportunity for me.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
I'm not sure about a racial hierarchy but I'm very well aware as a white man (years and years of doing so) that if I wish to escape the heat, or use the lavatory facilities, I can walk into the lobby of any 5-star hotel in India or SE Asia, stay there (almost) as long as I like and I will never, ever be challenged
Actually, I would argue that this has to do with confidence and how you’re dressed, rather than by virtue of the fact alone that you are a white male. Maybe there are still some places reminiscent of the opening scene of Crazy Rich Asians, but I have a feeling they are getting less and less common.

And to add another fine but perhaps important point: I have found that the more rural the environment you’re in, the more likely racial profiling is to occur.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:16 pm

Actually its well known that SQ treats single females (white and Asian both) worst than they treat men in general at J or F cabins and my observations pretty much confirmed that. Whenever I traveled with my wife we always tried to sit front and back (and the crew usually have no ideas we are together) if the configuration is 1-2-1 so we could both get single window seat. They are always so nice to me, filling up my Pierrer automatically, adjusted my blanket while I am asleep . . . etc. My wife, on the other end, usually get zip. At one point I thought she's going die from thirst!! Its actually quite funny if you are not at the receiving end of it
When I've travelled SQ in the past, I usually only ask for a soft drink as my "welcome drink" and they may ask me once if I want a refill of whatever I had. I then say no. They don't ask again until the next meal time.

While this may not be what happened in your wife's case, I'm simply pointing out where it has happened to me.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H
FWIW, I am grateful to anyone who tells me that I might have treated them unfavourably as a result of my prejudice - it helps me be more aware of my prejudices ad the situations when they may cause me to make poor decisions. But I also know that they shouldn't have to do so and they have no obligation to turn my own poor conduct into a development opportunity for me.
While being willing to accept this kind of criticism might be a laudable sentiment, I've seen it too many times in Asia where a white/caucasian person gets riled up when someone makes an observation about not following local rules or customs.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Not the first time someone complained about not being offered champagne on PE. This happens to us Singaporeans too:

https://mothership.sg/2018/05/sq-pre...omplaint-fail/
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, Krisflyer Elite Gold
Ahhhh Mothership/HWZ always picking up on the important stuff LOL
RTWFF and spk307 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
OP, I don't know, I have a few Indian colleagues who feel like they are treated differently on the carriers we fly on most frequently for work (SQ, CA, GA, and LH). Last month, one of them blew up on a lovely GA flight attendant because she brought me a cup of candies and did not offer him the same. He believed it was about race but it probably had more to do with my ability to speak Indonesian and make small talk with the FA. Anyway, it was an embarrassment for all. The FA you were dealing with was probably well-intentioned but just failed on execution.
24left likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.