Verification for name mismatched

Old Feb 27, 19, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Verification for name mismatched

Hello,
I had recently transferred points from my wife's amex account into my Krisflyer account without knowing that this isn't allowed, and although the transfer went through and I was able to book an award seat for a couple of months from now, I have received an email asking to provide my passport and a credit card statement.

Any advice on what else I should send them, and how to approach the response? I have read a couple of previous posts that dealt with this same issue, however none of them provided a follow up with the outcome.

Thank you!
Old Feb 27, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by paulis View Post
Hello,
I had recently transferred points from my wife's amex account into my Krisflyer account without knowing that this isn't allowed, and although the transfer went through and I was able to book an award seat for a couple of months from now, I have received an email asking to provide my passport and a credit card statement.

Any advice on what else I should send them, and how to approach the response? I have read a couple of previous posts that dealt with this same issue, however none of them provided a follow up with the outcome.
You don't say who the email is from. Presumably it's Krisflyer who's asking, as Amex would already have your credit card details. Surely by now you've already entered your passport number into the booking, so KF already have that
Old Feb 27, 19, 9:30 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30322380-post1.html

someone else posted his experience.
Old Feb 27, 19, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
You don't say who the email is from. Presumably it's Krisflyer who's asking, as Amex would already have your credit card details. Surely by now you've already entered your passport number into the booking, so KF already have that
I certainly missed that, the email was from Krisflyer.

The ticket is confirmed so they already have my passport information, but they are still asking for it. This was clearly a mistake on my part, but I am wondering how others have gone about it, and what other documents could be useful so that I don't have the booking cancelled.
Old Feb 27, 19, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
someone else posted his experience.
Bummer, one would think they would be more able to overlook a mistake when you're dealing with a married couple who live at the same address have the same last name, etc.
Old Feb 28, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The problem here is that according to Amex MR, e.g. in the US, this is actually permitted, but it goes against KF rules.

Add that certain bloggers even state explicitly that it works (like Sebastian on Loyaltylobby just the other day) and is fine / allowed which is not true any longer as OPs and several other recent experiences show.

Now will everyone get caught? Probably not, but risky and surely a headache as KF has susoended such rewards tickets before and at times been pretty hard nosed about it.

Best action seems to be to ASAP transfer the needed miles from one of your accounts and plead your case telling truthfully that you were not aware. YMMV
Old Mar 4, 19, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by demue View Post
The problem here is that according to Amex MR, e.g. in the US, this is actually permitted, but it goes against KF rules.

Add that certain bloggers even state explicitly that it works (like Sebastian on Loyaltylobby just the other day) and is fine / allowed which is not true any longer as OPs and several other recent experiences show.
Not so. Amex MR permits transfers to authorized users on the account. Before you can transfer to a frequent flyer programme, you have to set up the account on the Amex page by inputting the frequent flyer number and the name on that account. Amex restricts the field for the name to your authorized users only.

When you want to transfer you then select which of the frequent flyer accounts you want to transfer to, and Amex transmits the name and details of the account as set up to the airline. This is to prevent precisely the problem that has arisen in OP's case; by transmitting to SQ the name of the authorized user, Amex ensures that there is a "name match" on the SQ side. As far as SQ can see the points are coming from an account tied to the authorized user because that is the information Amex is giving them.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
When you want to transfer you then select which of the frequent flyer accounts you want to transfer to, and Amex transmits the name and details of the account as set up to the airline. This is to prevent precisely the problem that has arisen in OP's case; by transmitting to SQ the name of the authorized user, Amex ensures that there is a "name match" on the SQ side. As far as SQ can see the points are coming from an account tied to the authorized user because that is the information Amex is giving them.
Not sure how SQ can credit the points first, if all the information matches, then come back for audit, even if all the information matches.

I'm also looking to transfer some UOB (SIN bank) points to my wife's KF account, which the bank claims is possible as long as she is a supplementary card holder, now just worried about KF side.
I just read the KF terms & conditions, nothing explicitly stating that credit card points must go to your own account only.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by fone View Post
Not sure how SQ can credit the points first, if all the information matches, then come back for audit, even if all the information matches.

I'm also looking to transfer some UOB (SIN bank) points to my wife's KF account, which the bank claims is possible as long as she is a supplementary card holder, now just worried about KF side.
I just read the KF terms & conditions, nothing explicitly stating that credit card points must go to your own account only.
the TnC did mention pooling of KF Miles is not allowed and each KF membership must be utilized by one person.

Also it did mention. That for non-flight transaction, KF miles can only be earned or converted by KF member performing the transaction with programmer partner.

Old Mar 5, 19, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by fone View Post
I believe that SQ is auditing transfers where the information does NOT match, ie where an Amex MR account holder transfers by inputting someone else's KF account number but selecting his own name as the account holder. SQ's IT system is presumably not set up to match accounts and names at the point of transfer, instead relying on manual review and audit to pick these transfers up after the fact.
Old Mar 5, 19, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post

the TnC did mention pooling of KF Miles is not allowed and each KF membership must be utilized by one person.

Also it did mention. That for non-flight transaction, KF miles can only be earned or converted by KF member performing the transaction with programmer partner.

I do not see how these apply to the Amex MR issue that was raised (or for my case).
Pooling of KF miles probably refers to KF miles only, Amex MR or other credit card points, are not KF miles yet, until conversion. I interpret this as after conversion, or accrual into KF account, these miles cannot be pooled.

Same for 2nd point, if spouse is the KF member and is authorized to do so with programme partner, I don't see how this clause is prohibitive.

Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
I believe that SQ is auditing transfers where the information does NOT match, ie where an Amex MR account holder transfers by inputting someone else's KF account number but selecting his own name as the account holder. SQ's IT system is presumably not set up to match accounts and names at the point of transfer, instead relying on manual review and audit to pick these transfers up after the fact.
Just called Krisflyer, SIN. They claimed if the name from credit card and krisflyer account do not match, then the account will be placed under audit automatically. So for OP, we can only assumed that AMEX sends the name for the primary account holder, that caused this issue. So I believe OP should take it up with Amex as to why they send the primary account holder name instead of the authorized person name.

Will need to call my bank and see if can "send" my spouse name for the transfer, otherwise, this issue crops up again. Then I'll have to find another way to redeem ticket, since all my redemption nominees have been used up.

Edited: UOB SIN says my wife won't have her own online account as supplementary card holder, so unable to redeem the pts using her name but my points. So I guess this rules out the option.

Last edited by fone; Mar 5, 19 at 10:49 pm
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
I am facing the same problem - happened to me last week. Does anyone have any experience with not sending in the requested ID. Will they automatically cancel the already issued tickets?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: