Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

adding US domestic segment to award ticket

Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to get a flight to JFK on JetBlue so I can continue on JFK-FRA-SIN on an award ticket. I don't care if I have to pay for the flight, I just want it under one PNR for protection in case of IRROPS.

SQ call center says they do not offer flights with JetBlue even though it's listed as a codeshare.

Questions are:
- How do I get a JetBlue segment on to this ticket?
- SQ calendar is open now, but JetBlue isn't and I can't sit out waiting for the JetBlue calendar to open, so I have to ticket SQ now. Is this going to be a problem with a re-ticket? I don't want to lose my SQ award space, or go to the back of the line on a waitlist
- Can I use SQ miles for this segment or is it cash only? Would SQ charge me more miles or would it be covered under JFK-FRA-SIN routing? Award calculator does not recognize US domestic airports it doesn't serve.

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I'm trying to get a flight to JFK on JetBlue so I can continue on JFK-FRA-SIN on an award ticket. I don't care if I have to pay for the flight, I just want it under one PNR for protection in case of IRROPS.

SQ call center says they do not offer flights with JetBlue even though it's listed as a codeshare.

Questions are:
- SQ calendar is open now, but JetBlue isn't and I can't sit out waiting for the JetBlue calendar to open, so I have to ticket SQ now. Is this going to be a problem with a re-ticket? I don't want to lose my SQ award space, or go to the back of the line on a waitlist
- Can I use SQ miles for this segment or is it cash only? Would SQ charge me more miles or would it be covered under JFK-FRA-SIN routing? Award calculator does not recognize US domestic airports it doesn't serve.

Thanks
I have the same issue. Following this thread. I'll be curious to see people's advice.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Same problem, Im flying out of MSY and just decided to bite the bullet and fly up the day before on a late night delta flight and overnight at a nearby hotel. It really is inconvenient.Coming back into the states on SQ2. Used to be a united flight that I could catch and SQ was good about throughchecking even on different tickets but the united flight is earlier now so I have to overnight at SFO as well. Ill have to overnight going out and coming back this year just to be safe.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:38 pm

Questions are:

Thanks
dun think you can add since JetBlue isn’t star alliance member. For SQ own redemption, must be on SQ/MI metal. Dun think SQ is going to put under one PNR even if you bought the JetBlue sector under cash.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:13 pm

Yep - don't think possible. United would be OK but they don't serve JFK of course... otherwise you'll need to build in enough buffer to self connect
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Why can I build in JetBlue on a revenue ticket but not an award ticket?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Why can I build in JetBlue on a revenue ticket but not an award ticket?
Just because they codeshare doesn't mean they share award space with each other. You will not be able to book a B6 award flight with KF miles.

You can use KF miles to book awards on these partners outside *A ONLY - Virgin Atlantic & Australia, Alaska, Vistara & Juneyao. https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...tner-airlines/

Also any partners booked outside the *A network would require a separate booking and a separate PNR. So if there is a AK flight from JFK - wherever it would be a separate PNR/ticket and require additional miles.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Just because they codeshare doesn't mean they share award space with each other. You will not be able to book a B6 award flight with KF miles.

You can use KF miles to book awards on these partners outside *A ONLY - Virgin Atlantic & Australia, Alaska, Vistara & Juneyao. https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...tner-airlines/

Also any partners booked outside the *A network would require a separate booking and a separate PNR. So if there is a AK flight from JFK - wherever it would be a separate PNR/ticket and require additional miles.
That's fine, but if SQ can take my cash on a B6/SQ booking and put it on one PNR, why can't SQ take my cash for the B6 segment and put it on the same PNR as the SQ award?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
That's fine, but if SQ can take my cash on a B6/SQ booking and put it on one PNR, why can't SQ take my cash for the B6 segment and put it on the same PNR as the SQ award?
Because award tickets have different rules. Few, if any, airlines would allow you to mix a revenue fare with an award. If you want the flexibility to mix and match your desired airlines on a single reservation you're free to pony up for a cash ticket.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing. You can't mix award & rev tickets in different segments of a ticket. It's an industry wide reservation/GDS rule.

US airlines are generally quite considerate towards IROPS even on separate tickets especially when coming in from international destination. As long as they have seats on another flight a few hours later they will move you to that one without charge. If you're asking for more than that it might be an issue.

I have done this several times with DL & UA where I've booked the earliest possible DOM flight coming in from an international leg. Been held up by long lines at immigration plenty of times and missed my DOM sector flight. When I've gone to DL & UA afterwards either right outside arrivals or even to a different terminal they've always accommodated me. Of course I've always ensured that there was a flight a few hours after my ticketed one. YMMV.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing. You can't mix award & rev tickets in different segments of a ticket. It's an industry wide reservation/GDS rule.

US airlines are generally quite considerate towards IROPS even on separate tickets especially when coming in from international destination. As long as they have seats on another flight a few hours later they will move you to that one without charge. If you're asking for more than that it might be an issue.

I have done this several times with DL & UA where I've booked the earliest possible DOM flight coming in from an international leg. Been held up by long lines at immigration plenty of times and missed my DOM sector flight. When I've gone to DL & UA afterwards either right outside arrivals or even to a different terminal they've always accommodated me. Of course I've always ensured that there was a flight a few hours after my ticketed one. YMMV.
I'm leaving the US and it's not like SQ suites are leaving every hour on the hour. I'd also prefer to not build in an 8 hour layover on my outbound "just in case." Sounds like this is a common hurdle.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
But 6 of those 8 hours could be in the Virgin Clubhouse
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bfhause
touche
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:54 pm

I'm leaving the US and it's not like SQ suites are leaving every hour on the hour. I'd also prefer to not build in an 8 hour layover on my outbound "just in case." Sounds like this is a common hurdle.
Ah, I thought you were coming in not leaving the US. If B6 is cutting it close I guess you have only 3 options
1. Do the short connection time with your fingers crossed
2. Look at flying a separate airline that gets you in with more time
3. Spend 8 hours in the city

Originally Posted by Bfhause
Absolutely not worth 6 hours! Besides the SQ counters won’t open that early to let you in.

Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So if there is a AK flight from JFK - wherever it would be a separate PNR/ticket and require additional miles.
Pretty sure AirAsia isn't an SQ partner.

That's pretty mind-blowing that you can't combine SQ and AS in a single KF award for XXX(AS)-JFK-FRA-SIN(SQ), though. That kind of diminishes the value of a partnership on an award when you can't put them both in the same booking.

Where's your origin? It's possible to do UA if you're willing to do a EWR or LGA to JFK shuffle, assuming that SQ considers all three as co-terminals for NYC, assuming that AS is out of the question for whatever reason (can't add it to an award or doesn't serve your origin).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:28 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.