SIN-BNE: Unexpected upgrade to business

Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / AC 75K / ALL Diamond
SIN-BNE: Unexpected upgrade to business

I had a flight booked in S (premium economy) last night from SIN-BNE, arrived at Changi about 45 minutes before departure and went straight to the gate to board.

Getting to the gate, once they scanned my boarding pass, they stopped and issued me a new ticket: to my surprise up in row 18 and in business.

This was a bit confusing for me since I mostly fly AC, so in the eyes of SQ I'm just *A Gold. I would have imagined if it's an op-up that they would have prioritised a KrisFlyer/PPS member.

Did I just get incredibly lucky with an oversold premium economy? What can I do to make this happen again
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Take it, enjoy it and don't try to work out why it happened.

Very likely an operational upgrade and having booked S fare means chances aren't bad even if not high SQ tier. Who knows, maybe they waited to the end and you came in later stages of boarding, they needed your seat for someone else that were traveling together, all possible.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:44 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by acrooksie
... What can I do to make this happen again
Buy a business ticket.

I had an OpUp from Business to First AKL to SIN the first time I flew SQ in 1994. Never had one since!
RTWFF and windchaser777 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by acrooksie
What can I do to make this happen again
I've had excellent luck when purchasing a Z/C/J/U/D/I ticket.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Very simple, economy was oversold, so they were bumping economy pax to premium economy and in turn bumping premium economy pax to business. Would look at status and fare basis, and whilst PPS etc would have been ahead of you, I am sure S class helps as it is the highest fare class in the Y+ cabin.

SQ (and everyone else) have been running full (without doubt oversold) in economy to all ports in Australia over the last 2-3 weeks (on MEL/SYD routes they've been running quite full in premium Y and business as well). Even Scoot has been charging >$1000 for one way no-bag no-eat economy seats from SIN-MEL.

So if you want this to happen again, try your luck around this time next year. End of Australian school holidays, so families returning home, students traveling down to commence school year - and throw in next weeks Lunar New Year festivities , where lots of people travel as well, and just about every airline from SE Asia to Australia is full in economy. I've been looking to go back to MEL for a few days and have given up, the only cheaper seats I could find were out of DPS.
kevinoh likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.