Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Using status of another airline but earning SQ miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I have a Q class SQ flight coming up that will not be earning miles with Asiana who I have Star Gold with. I would like to use the lounge but change my frequent flier program to SQ so I'd earn at least some miles for the flight. Would it make the most sense to change it as I leave the lounge or is there a proper way to do this?

Additionally, is there some way to see the fare class before paying for the flight? I couldn't figure out how to see it when booking on the site.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: NZ*E
In my experience, SQ doesn't seem to have any issues if you present a *G card to access, even if that is not the program you're accruing to. I've done this a fair few times in Changi.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by randomasian
I have a Q class SQ flight coming up that will not be earning miles with Asiana who I have Star Gold with. I would like to use the lounge but change my frequent flier program to SQ so I'd earn at least some miles for the flight. Would it make the most sense to change it as I leave the lounge or is there a proper way to do this?

Additionally, is there some way to see the fare class before paying for the flight? I couldn't figure out how to see it when booking on the site.
I do it all the time, as I have *G status with United but the accrual is better with SQ when flying SQ. You raise an interesting question however - if you check-in under one FF program, is it possible to change the FF program on the booking oneself prior to boarding (I don't mean asking the airline staff)?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by RTWFF
I do it all the time, as I have *G status with United but the accrual is better with SQ when flying SQ. You raise an interesting question however - if you check-in under one FF program, is it possible to change the FF program on the booking oneself prior to boarding (I don't mean asking the airline staff)?
​​​​​​I can't think of any reason not to:
1. Enter the other *G number online
2. Check baggage in at a manned desk
3. Tell the check in agent to delete FFP no. and retro claim under whatever FFP one desires
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You can change your FFP# on your ticket before boarding but not worth the effort. As others have also said you can use your *G card to get entry to the KFG lounge in SIN.

Matrix - ITA Software by Google
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
If booking thru the SQ website, once you've selected the flights & the type of fare, click on the "Full fare rules and conditions" link just after the "Summary of Fare Conditions". It'll pop up a new window with the fare rules of each leg, including the fare basis which you can derive the fare class.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Unionruler
​​​​​​I can't think of any reason not to:
1. Enter the other *G number online
2. Check baggage in at a manned desk
3. Tell the check in agent to delete FFP no. and retro claim under whatever FFP one desires
It's not an SQ question specifically, just a general airline question. For the airline I'm travelling with, as I'm *G with that airline I may be offered an upgrade at check-in (no, it's not UA either). However my points with that airline are of no benefit to me so I'd rather accrue for that flight with a different programme. I'd only change programmes after check-in is finalised and an upgrade granted (or not as the case may be). Am I gaming the system - yes, sort of
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:31 am

Not with SQ but it bit me once. Was flying from BCN to ZRH, I'm *G with LH, but were crediting miles to TK. Its possible to change FF number through online checkin, so I checked in with *G FF#, entered the lounge then it to TK number online.
LIterally 5 mins later the flight get cancelled and, since my TK number has no status, I don't have any priority or help for rebooking. Took a while to sort it out with SEN helpline (they managed to help eventually).

So I don't do those things again :-) Not until boarding at least...
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
An experienced airline check in staff will know how to add 2 FFP nos. to your BP - 1st FFP for accrual, 2nd for service/benefits such as lounge access

On SQ 21 earlier this month, the check in staff @ EWR wasn't able to do this as the system couldn't or didn't identify OZ as a *A partner even after many attempts.
So she just rang up the VA lounge to let them know that I'd be using the lounge & that I was a *G member.
Come to think of it, I don't think they managed to do that last Oct. either so perhaps this is a airline/airport station system issue?

As other members have mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue to accrue to one program & enter the lounge by showing the Gold card of a *A partner.
It did happen to me over a year ago at FRA though -
After reading some good online reviews, I really wanted to check out the MLL during transit to JFK from SIN
However, the AC staff at the lounge refused me entry because the no. on my BP wasn't the *G no.
Even after I showed her my TG ROP Gold card, she still said no - it had to be the no. on my BP, she kept repeating that to me.
(She wasn't very nice about it either)
So what I did on the return flight from JFK was I deleted the FFP no. during check in, & I entered the lounge with no issues by showing my TG ROP card.
When I got back home, I just did an online retro active claim on SQ.com

So yeah, that was the only time that I was denied entry to a *A lounge & the kicker was that after all that hoopla & unpleasantness - I still liked the LH Senator lounge @ FRA more

Originally Posted by RTWFF
It's not an SQ question specifically, just a general airline question. For the airline I'm travelling with, as I'm *G with that airline I may be offered an upgrade at check-in (no, it's not UA either). However my points with that airline are of no benefit to me so I'd rather accrue for that flight with a different programme. I'd only change programmes after check-in is finalised and an upgrade granted (or not as the case may be). Am I gaming the system - yes, sort of
Oh - please do share with us which airline + *G FFP grants an upgrade at check in!

Originally Posted by ddartt
Not with SQ but it bit me once. Was flying from BCN to ZRH, I'm *G with LH, but were crediting miles to TK. Its possible to change FF number through online checkin, so I checked in with *G FF#, entered the lounge then it to TK number online.
Literally 5 mins later the flight get cancelled and, since my TK number has no status, I don't have any priority or help for rebooking. Took a while to sort it out with SEN helpline (they managed to help eventually).
So I don't do those things again :-) Not until boarding at least...
Good story - I don't do this either, because I find it a hassle to change the FFP no. with the gate agent, & if anything were to go wrong, the miles would go to the wrong FFP which would render all efforts useless!
Plus I'm easily distracted, so I may very likely just go on to board the plane directly without stopping to change the FFP no. with the gate agent
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Oh - please do share with us which airline + *G FFP grants an upgrade at check in! :
What's in it for me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.