Wiki Posts
Search

Row 2 or 3 for A380 old suites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Stanby life since 2007
Row 2 or 3 for A380 old suites?

I was able to score an award SIN- FRA - JFK next year. I’m currently booked in seats 3 C/D. Any advice if I should switch to 2 C/D ? I’ve been reading many past reviews online and almost everyone was in 3 C/D. Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
The are for all intents and purposes equal. 2 C&D are the bassinet seats so not available to select online hence most people will just book 3 C&D.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:50 pm
THR

Flown 3C/D before, and booked those for our next two flights. They're essentially the same as 2C/D, so I wouldn't worry about changing.

As noted, 2 C/D are normally blocked.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: United, AA, BA, AF
Did you score saver or standard award? Looking for FRA->JFK (which I know is harder to find space on anyways), but can only find standard.

Everything I've read is don't redeem F standard on the old suites, just saver if you can get lucky enough to land it. Would ya'll agree?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Row 3 has three windows in A/F, as opposed to two for other rows, but I don't think there is a noticeable difference for the centre seats
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by GlasedDonut
Everything I've read is don't redeem F standard on the old suites, just saver if you can get lucky enough to land it. Would ya'll agree?
The old suites are a fantastic product even today. Don’t let the word “old” throw you off. The seats, suite, food, service etc. are miles ahead of most. It’s just that the new R is bigger at better. But that doesn’t make the old R bad in anyways.

Advantage awards have very poor value whether it’s Y, J, F. As long as you have options (eg: miles aren’t expiring immediately or other similar reasons) avoid booking any type of Advantage award. Now a lot of folks would want to get the new leather (and cabin) smell of the new R and they don’t mind booking the Advantage awards. For the rest of us Saver represents the best value by far.
FlyerEC and Ex-SIN like this.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jan 25, 2019 at 4:13 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1 Million Miler, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by san88

I was able to score an award SIN- FRA - JFK next year. I’m currently booked in seats 3 C/D. Any advice if I should switch to 2 C/D ? I’ve been reading many past reviews online and almost everyone was in 3 C/D. Thanks!
If your flight is after Jun 1 2019, you're guaranteed to be in the new suites class.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:37 am
THR

Originally Posted by carl9331
If your flight is after Jun 1 2019, you're guaranteed to be in the new suites class.
That is simply not true.
jinrop likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Stanby life since 2007
Originally Posted by GlasedDonut
Did you score saver or standard award? Looking for FRA->JFK (which I know is harder to find space on anyways), but can only find standard.

I was able to book SIN - FRA - JFK saver award before the devaluation. I literally checked everyday as their calendar become bookabke for Dec 2019 day by day.

Originally Posted by carl9331
Trip is booked for Dec 2019. I’ll assume all the blogs will go crazy once / if this routes gets the new upgraded suites. Crossing my fingers and been checking my reservation seatmap frequently to see if it changes.

Thanks for everyone replying.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Personally I think there's a bit more 'sense of space' in row 3 as the walls don't go up to the ceiling. I like this better than row 2 where the bulkhead is right in front.
san88 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I did 4 sectors in the "classic" suites SYD-SIN-FRA-JFK and LHR-SIN last August. I'd prefer row 3 over 2 because there is a slightly better sense of space, but really no difference. The one thing I would mention is there is some kind of quite noisy electric pump or motor (possibly air conditioning) above row 3, which is noticeable. I wonder if it is better in row 2.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:32 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I've had a number of flights where I had a window seat for sitting and was lucky to get a double bed for sleeping. It has always been Row 2.

2C & 2D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.