Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

award ticket with 10 hours layover, how to get standby earlier flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA

flying next month with award ticket in J,
PEK-SIN-KUL, 10 hours of layover at singapore changi airport,

1) at which point should i tell them i would like to be placed standby for earlier flight?
should i inform at PEK? i am worrying about the interline luggage, afraid that if i board on earlier flight they might not send my luggage.

2) My ticket is SQ, can i request standby MI codeshare flight?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
AFAIK, SQ does not do this. Particularly not on award tickets.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
As your luggage has to be checked through from PEK it's highly unlikely you would be allowed on an earlier flight, as any change could only be effected in SIN and they would have to retrieve your luggage. As vbroucek says, SQ usually don't allow this
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
If you do want to try, and you don't need (or already have) a visa to enter Singapore - as you have 10 hrs layover, you should ask to check your luggage through to Singapore only (so you can retrieve items during layover ....). Then go through immigration, collect luggage, then either head upstairs (if you land in T2) or make your way to T2 departure check in area, and ask if you can get on an earlier flight to KUL. If not, they can still do early check in for you, check your luggage through to KUL leaving you luggage free for the layover. Worst case, you lose 30 mins or so of that 10 hours. Best (but unlikely) case you get on a flight to KUL sooner than expected.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
If you do want to try, and you don't need (or already have) a visa to enter Singapore - as you have 10 hrs layover, you should ask to check your luggage through to Singapore only (so you can retrieve items during layover ....). Then go through immigration, collect luggage, then either head upstairs (if you land in T2) or make your way to T2 departure check in area, and ask if you can get on an earlier flight to KUL. If not, they can still do early check in for you, check your luggage through to KUL leaving you luggage free for the layover. Worst case, you lose 30 mins or so of that 10 hours. Best (but unlikely) case you get on a flight to KUL sooner than expected.
Thanks, I think I will try this method.

actually SQ operates 2 flight for SIN-KUL , and my ticket is the first sin-kul flight. But, SQ do have codeshare with silkair which has more flight thoughrout the day, wondering if they allow us standby Silkair flight.

i will plan the worst and hope for the best.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jiunsoh
But, SQ do have codeshare with silkair which has more flight thoughrout the day, wondering if they allow us standby Silkair flight.
If it’s an award issued by another star alliance carrier then I assume they won’t be able to move you to SilkAir as it is not a star alliance member. If it is a Krisflyer (or Virgin Australia Velocity ) award then it might be possible as SilkAir is part of these programs.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:25 pm

{deleted }

Last edited by lokijuh; Jan 11, 2019 at 4:27 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
flying next month with award ticket in J,

2) My ticket is SQ, can i request standby MI codeshare flight?
If your award ticket is issued through SQ, you can be placed on the waitlist for the timing you want. Just call SQ and be place on those silk air flights you prefer. You can waitlist more than one flight.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caimaster
If your award ticket is issued through SQ, you can be placed on the waitlist for the timing you want. Just call SQ and be place on those silk air flights you prefer. You can waitlist more than one flight.
Yes, my ticket is issued by SQ, but it's already ticketed so if I waitlist the other MI flight and eventually clear for me, I would have to pay USD25 for reissue right?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Yes, my ticket is issued by SQ, but it's already ticketed so if I waitlist the other MI flight and eventually clear for me, I would have to pay USD25 for reissue right?
That's a good question. You might need to call SQ to find out. I have done waitlist on a confirm J to F, when the F clears they didn't charge any fees. But that is a little bit different.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So assuming you don't have anything to do in SIN you rather wait 10hrs then pay 25US$ change fee?

Up to you, but even if you do this at the transfer desk in SIN or clear immigration and go to the check in / ticket desk outside there are very good chances that they will still look to collect the 25 bucks as that is what the fare conditions for an award stipulate. The concept of standby for.an earlier flight on the same day is a very US airlines thingy.

Give it a shot I guess, one never knows, but expect to pay 25US$ change fee regardless of when / where you make the change or wait 10hrs. Good luck.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
So assuming you don't have anything to do in SIN you rather wait 10hrs then pay 25US$ change fee?

Up to you, but even if you do this at the transfer desk in SIN or clear immigration and go to the check in / ticket desk outside there are very good chances that they will still look to collect the 25 bucks as that is what the fare conditions for an award stipulate. The concept of standby for.an earlier flight on the same day is a very US airlines thingy.

Give it a shot I guess, one never knows, but expect to pay 25US$ change fee regardless of when / where you make the change or wait 10hrs. Good luck.
ok now I get a clearer picture how this thing works, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.