Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Worst Vegetarian meal and crew behavior in Singapore Airlines business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Being a vegetarian I have been booking Indian Veg meal every time I fly SQ. But sadly I have to hungry as SQ has the worst Veg meal. Twice I have been served stale vegetables which were smelling and most of the times boiled vegetables with rice. I am into healthy food but I am not sick to be served such a meal. On complaining to the crew in business class one Mr Velu commented that this is what we serve if you don’t want to eat I will clear it. Feedback to SQ feedback/ compliant has gone unanswered and no one has bothered to reply.

The standard of SQ is really getting worse wether food / crew attitude / FF program. No worth wasting money on one of the most expensive airlines to fly.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Vvkant
Being a vegetarian I have been booking Indian Veg meal every time I fly SQ. But sadly I have to hungry as SQ has the worst Veg meal. Twice I have been served stale vegetables which were smelling and most of the times boiled vegetables with rice. I am into healthy food but I am not sick to be served such a meal. On complaining to the crew in business class one Mr Velu commented that this is what we serve if you don’t want to eat I will clear it. Feedback to SQ feedback/ compliant has gone unanswered and no one has bothered to reply.

The standard of SQ is really getting worse wether food / crew attitude / FF program. No worth wasting money on one of the most expensive airlines to fly.
​​​​​​Probably Air India or Jetairways can serve better indian vegetarian food.
hclee01, RTWFF, Audio and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium

Hard to take these sorts of 'complaints' seriously ...
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Veg meal can be defined as just boiled or steamed veggies and rice in other regions. Unfortunately many airlines don’t customise it to the region but we can hardly blame them given the cost pressures.

You Can use the new facility to select your veg options from the menu if you fly J or F. If you fly Y, I’d suggest you select from the onboard menu rather than selecting veg meal option while booking ticket.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Just eat some meat. Eating ‘unhealthy’ on a flight isn’t going to kill you.
msp3 and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Have you tried the book the cook menu options? There should be vegetarian options.
LTN Phobia and RTWFF like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold

Never seen Indian Veg option anywhere. It is called Asian Veg (AVML) option. It could be Indian style but does not
have to be...
RTWFF likes this.

Last edited by flyalways; Jan 12, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Which route?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by flyalways
Never seen Indian Veg option anywhere. It is called Asian Veg (AVML) option. It could be Indian style but does not
have to be...
I'd start with Singapore Airlines' website, which describes the AVML as "Vegetarian Indian Meal (AVML)" as do most airlines in the continent. The idea of an "Asian vegetarian meal" is a hilariously western concept.
AbyssalLoris likes this.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Jan 12, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'd start with Singapore Airlines' website, which describes the AVML as "Vegetarian Indian Meal (AVML)" as do most airlines in the continent. The idea of an "Asian vegetarian meal" is a hilariously western concept.
I stand corrected then but I think this is an exception since most of the airlines have AVML described
as Veg food that could be spicy but Indian is not mentioned. AVML on most Indian routes on all
airlines is Indian style but is not guaranteed on non-India routes is my observation....
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by flyalways
I stand corrected then but I think this is an exception since most of the airlines have AVML described
as Veg food that could be spicy but Indian is not mentioned. AVML on most Indian routes on all
airlines is Indian style but is not guaranteed on non-India routes is my observation....
What airlines are you referring to? AVML refers to the Indian (or sometimes Hindu) Veg meal on SQ, TG, CX, KE, BR and other airlines actually in Asia. VOML is the "oriental" meal.

OP, did you perhaps order a Jain meal?

Edit: Though funnily enough AI and 9W offer a special meal that they call an "Asian Vegetarian Meal (AVML)." I'd shudder to think about what's in it that they can't offer as a regular veg option.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Jan 12, 2019 at 5:31 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What airlines are you referring to? AVML refers to the Indian (or sometimes Hindu) Veg meal on SQ, TG, CX, KE, BR and other airlines actually in Asia. VOML is the "oriental" meal.

OP, did you perhaps order a Jain meal?

Edit: Though funnily enough AI and 9W offer a special meal that they call an "Asian Vegetarian Meal (AVML)." I'd shudder to think about what's in it that they can't offer as a regular veg option.
I have two sample descriptions for you (AVML) from ANA and AA...No mention
of Indian food...
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/internat...flight/spmeal/
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...-allergies.jsp

Last edited by flyalways; Jan 12, 2019 at 5:44 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao

Hard to take these sorts of 'complaints' seriously ...
I know he's had 1 post but I've had the same exact experience. Rice with boiled vegetables, no curry in Business Class. Horrible meal. And was met with a similar attitude. And Singapore Airlines did not respond. So can relate.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:38 pm

I sometimes pre-order vegetarian meals on SQ, and have never had any issues.

If you're travelling business class, use the Book the Cook option to select your veggie meal.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I dont assume that the airline meal is going to be something I will eat, so I eat before,
If the meal , mostly pasta (being vegetarian myself) I may nibble, just out of being bored.
BA both to and from India has some very tasty Indian options...(actually look forward to see what they have each time I fly)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.