Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Worst Vegetarian meal and crew behavior in Singapore Airlines business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Vegetarian meal and crew behavior in Singapore Airlines business class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@Vvkant

Since you have not returned, I don't know if you've read any of the comments above. Also, it is not clear if you were in Business, Premium Economy or Economy - and that may matter as to the meal you received.

Regardless if SQ or other airlines, many do a poor job with SPMLs (Special Meals). sometimes it's the catering company they contract with, or sometimes the airline just doesn't budget for a decent SPML. I've had this issue with a few airlines.

I would also suggest those who are unfamiliar with the differences between Vegetarian meals, make sure to read the descriptions where available.

I learned the hard way tat what airlines call "Asian Vegetarian" is most often Indian-type food or seasoning and has curry. I was advised to always order "Vegetarian Oriental". While the contents very from airline to airline, it is more Chinese-style with vegetables, rice/noodles, tofu and similar protein. No meat, dairy or curry. It is often coded as VOML but always check to make sure.

Also, most airlines have variations of Hindu meals and may also have a Hindu Vegetarian option.

SQ seems to have one of the largest selections of vegetarian meals that I've seen with airlines I've flown.

As ALWAYS, we need to be responsible and prepare for the possibility that our SPML is not boarded, or it's the wrong meal or there is something about it and we can't eat it. I have low expectations when it comes to SPMLs so I carry cereal bars, dried fruit, or buy something in the terminal prior to boarding. These options may not suit everyone but I'd rather have a back-up plan than have nothing.
kevinoh likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:40 pm

That is what SQ website description (taken from one of my current bookings):

Vegetarian Indian Meal

Non-strict vegetarian meal prepared Indian style, served with pickles or chutney and curd/raita, usually spicy in composition. No meat, fish, game, shellfish or egg is included. Dairy products may be included.
To my experience that meal is usually a veggie curry.

In addition SQ offers 4 more Vegetarian options.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer
I dont assume that the airline meal is going to be something I will eat, so I eat before,
If the meal , mostly pasta (being vegetarian myself) I may nibble, just out of being bored.
BA both to and from India has some very tasty Indian options...(actually look forward to see what they have each time I fly)
And in some cases if you have a decent lounge before the flight, it's better to eat on the ground and rest on the flight. Saves the disappointment of being served rubbish.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I've always assumed SQ does rather well with special meals in Economy, given the dietary requirements of the various ethnic and religious groups that live in Singapore. There always seems to be a lot of bustling around the cabin once the door is shut by FAs putting stickers on seats that relate to some special meal request
jmastron likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
Originally Posted by RTWFF
I've always assumed SQ does rather well with special meals in Economy, given the dietary requirements of the various ethnic and religious groups that live in Singapore. There always seems to be a lot of bustling around the cabin once the door is shut by FAs putting stickers on seats that relate to some special meal request
I can relate to this. On an SQ 238 MEL-SIN morning flight last year (that connects to Indian ports in the evening), there were many Indians on a tour (or several tours). The crew put all the stickers out - there were about 100, I recollect but then when the meals came out, it seems most pax had moved seats to sit near friends. The crew tried for 10 mins then announced that the special meals would be delivered to the booked seat so much moving back. The crew were to be commended on their patience.

Not sure we can go much further with this Thread as the OP seems to have disappeared.
RTWFF, kevinoh and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Have you tried the book the cook menu options? There should be vegetarian options.
I was extremely disappointed with the (lack of) veg options in BTC. My girlfriend recently flew J for SIN-HKG-SFO and we combed through the BTC options and there were barely 1-2 dishes. Both of us were appalled. In the end she chose the veg option in the special diets section and it was exactly the same meal one gets in economy when choosing the same option, but plated better. The CSO over the phone also confirmed that when choosing the veg option in the dietary meals section, it is the same meal in Y and J.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The best vegetarian meals on SQ are the VOML (Vegetarian Oriental-Chinese style). Depending on the origins, AVML can be iffy. Note that SQ has many versions of Indian vegetarian meals. Which one did you order?

But true, if you didn’t like the meal, what’s the cabin crew to do mid way? Materialise another vegetarian meal for you?
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But true, if you didn’t like the meal, what’s the cabin crew to do mid way? Materialise another vegetarian meal for you?
No, but at least be empathetic and attempt to help, especially in business class. IMO, most service issues could be solved with an empathetic attitude vs. "this is what I can/will do, take it or leave it". Once I've had crew on KL gin up a hodge-podge of vegetarian eating options sans the entree when they had run out of the veggie option in business. I was grateful to eat something on a long-haul flight.

I'm a vegetarian and having just returned from a 3 segments on SQ in PE, I can somewhat relate to OP. We changed from "Vegetarian" to "Hindu Vegetarian" for our return segments and the food was significantly better.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by zeebanker
No, but at least be empathetic and attempt to help, especially in business class. IMO, most service issues could be solved with an empathetic attitude vs. "this is what I can/will do, take it or leave it".
It may depend on the route. If it was SIN-CGK or BKK it is more likely to be take it or leave it. If it was SIN-EWR, then one would expect a degree of creativity and empathy from the crew. Also there are certain routes, I've observed that the passengers do really test the crew with their demands, and you can visibly see that the crew struggle to meet those demands and provide the usual high level of services that we are used to on SQ. Not an excuse, but on such routes the service does seem sub par to rest of network, and crew do seem to have more of an attitude.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
It may depend on the route. If it was SIN-CGK or BKK it is more likely to be take it or leave it. If it was SIN-EWR, then one would expect a degree of creativity and empathy from the crew. Also there are certain routes, I've observed that the passengers do really test the crew with their demands, and you can visibly see that the crew struggle to meet those demands and provide the usual high level of services that we are used to on SQ. Not an excuse, but on such routes the service does seem sub par to rest of network, and crew do seem to have more of an attitude.
I think its a 2 way direction. Sometimes it depends on how we customers treat the crew in the first place?
kevinoh likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Vvkant
On complaining to the crew in business class one Mr Velu commented that this is what we serve if you don’t want to eat I will clear it. Feedback to SQ feedback/ compliant has gone unanswered and no one has bothered to reply.
That's rather unfortunate, and perhaps not the norm on SQ.

My experience with SQ crew is essentially the opposite. I often find the portion (particularly of the second meal) to be rather large for me and end up leaving some of carbs. On seeing that, the crew members often look horrified and enquire if I did not like something about the meal.
I have to reassure them that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the meal, merely my having been rather full after being sedentary on the flight and therefore not having a huge appetite, but I enjoyed the meal enough to only leave a bit of the carbs behind.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by luv_flying
I think its a 2 way direction. Sometimes it depends on how we customers treat the crew in the first place?
Agreed.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shuigao

Hard to take these sorts of 'complaints' seriously ...
What a hospitable welcome to a new member.

Of course only contributions from long-standing members are valued here on FT.
onlySIA and Gobber like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: LX M&M
how does the seafood meal in F ex-CPH probably look like? was always satisfied having them in Y but not really sure if its worth it for first class flights.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by drakepassage
What a hospitable welcome to a new member.

Of course only contributions from long-standing members are valued here on FT.
Yes, the comment (that you quoted - post #3 ) was a bit premature, usually it's best to give the OP a chance to respond before going down that path. Although it seems 2 weeks down the track, the subsequent (lack of) engagement has validated the comment. Be nice to be proven wrong. For a change
kevinoh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.