Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Expiry of grab points after transfer to SQ KF acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

I transferred 1500 grab points to Singapore Airlines and received a message during the transfer they would expire in 18 months Oct 2020. This makes no sense to me. I thought they would expire after 36 months into the SQ account.

Tried contacting Grab but they've been useless via social media. Basically no one answers.

I'm hoping they don't expire. I'm assuming they'll be used first when I next book a flight instead of the preexisting miles in SQ?

Anyone else have any experience as to whether the grab points expire after 18 months in the Krisflyer account or 36 months?
Old May 30, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I transferred 1500 grab points to Singapore Airlines and received a message during the transfer they would expire in 18 months Oct 2020. This makes no sense to me. I thought they would expire after 36 months into the SQ account.

Tried contacting Grab but they've been useless via social media. Basically no one answers.

I'm hoping they don't expire. I'm assuming they'll be used first when I next book a flight instead of the preexisting miles in SQ?

Anyone else have any experience as to whether the grab points expire after 18 months in the Krisflyer account or 36 months?
It should be after 36 months, but there may be a peculiarity which SQ reads their terms and conditions.
https://www.singaporeair.com/registe...form?showTnC=y
11. KrisFlyer accounts which have activity are valid for 36 months from the end of the month in which the last activity occurred, after which the membership accounts will expire. KrisFlyer accounts which do not have any activity for a period of 18 months since enrolment will expire after that period of 18 months.
I always thought moving points to your account was considered an activity, so even if you haven't used your KF account before, you should still get the 36 month expiry.

I can't answer the question on which miles would be spent first, but like you, my expectation would be that they would use the miles closest to expiry.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
It should be valid for 36 months. The Oct 2020 is just a way for grab to "post" your miles purchase in the grab account until it transfers successfully. Note after you initiate the transfer, the entry stays under "My Rewards" in your Grab app with a "use now" button. You can't actually use the reward now, but it seems as a place holder, together with the expiring date, to leave it there, until the transfer is complete. You also cannot redeem for multiple miles transfer until the current one is complete, this is their (grab) way of ensuring that.

I just did a transfer, Grab app states "valid from 20 Nov 2018 to 10 Oct 2020". Doesn't make sense that my miles expiry starts 6 months earlier, only make sense that the date is just to make the deal valid until 10 Oct 2020, or at least it is coded until this date, as of today.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Thanks for the replies. They're in the SQ account now. I know it's only 160 KF miles but it all counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.