Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

how mad must operations be at Istanbul airport move cancellation

Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:27 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Istanbul new airport move was scheduled for end of year, leading SQ to cancel their flights, and then it was postponed to March (or so), and the flights will remain cancelled. How angry must SQ operations team be at something like this...

Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Istanbul’s New Airport Changeover Delayed Until March 2019

Dec 30 2018

https://onemileatatime.com/istanbul-...ed-march-2019/
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Still better than new Berlin airport... It's already 7 years late and latest information suggests opining in 2020!!! Turks better than Germans???
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:16 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Still better than new Berlin airport... It's already 7 years late and latest information suggests opining in 2020!!!
You mean 3020, right
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:35 am

Does anyone happen to know what were the options for pax with cancelled flights? Were they required to wait till the next flight or were re-routings offered (or what is common in those cases)?
I have an IST x/SIN BKK booked for 3rd of March and I believe it might fall exactly on the (new) proposed airport move date. Am I screwed for few days if they cancel, or should I expect and hope for an alternative routing that will get me to BKK roughly on the same day?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I'm not sure about the loads to Istanbul but whenever I check there are J Class rewards seats available not too far in the future. As well, SQ are using what must be the oldest aircraft still in their fleet - a 777-200 (not even ER), and they don't fly every day anyway. I doubt they've lost much sleep
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
As well, SQ are using what must be the oldest aircraft still in their fleet - a 777-200 (not even ER), and they don't fly every day anyway.
Dear RTWFF,

Actually, this statement is incorrect, sorry! The IST route is flown with their most updated 777-200ER (normally 9V-SVC) with 2006 J & 2006 Y.

(EDIT: However, you are correct regarding the age of the actual aircraft, I believe it IS the oldest aircraft in their fleet (17.5 years), however, it was refurbished in 2013).

Last edited by maestro1981; Jan 20, 2019 at 10:04 am Reason: Added information
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by maestro1981
Dear RTWFF,

Actually, this statement is incorrect, sorry! The IST route is flown with their most updated 777-200ER (normally 9V-SVC) with 2006 J & 2006 Y.

(EDIT: However, you are correct regarding the age of the actual aircraft, I believe it IS the oldest aircraft in their fleet (17.5 years), however, it was refurbished in 2013).
I was basing it on what they provide as aircraft information when making a booking. It describes it as a 777-200 (no ER suffix). However it doesn't materially change my view that the OP is being a bit of a drama queen when suggesting SQ Ops will be devastated by the loss of a single day on this route
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:37 am

SQ just cancelled IST flights on 1st of March due to airport move (that is likely not happening).
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=js1lw1ge

I'm actually booked on 3MAR SQ391. I am pretty sure it will be full to the brim. Secretly hoping they overbook and re-route me directly to BKK instead..... :-/
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Looks like it is delayed to April now:

https://simpleflying.com/istanbul-new-airport-delayed/

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-delayed-again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.