Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Award availability at Krisflyer / United shows Saver Awards available

Old Dec 16, 18, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,
I need your help to proceed with Krisflyer, I am getting really frustrated
I have roughly d 80.000 AMEX MR which I would like to partly use to book 2 economy awards from Hawaii to Lima next year.

On United I found several Saver Awards already with different routings, which should be bookable for Krisflyer as Star Alliance Partner as well.
Yesterday I tried it again, I think the fourth or fifth time already I contacted the hotline already. Even after spending 40min on the phone the lady on the hotline wasn't able to find a bookable routing alhough I referenced to specific flight numbers which I found as a saver award on united.

Today I found another routing which I can reproduce on KF except the last segment.
Means: OGG to Mex is available on KF. Avianca Peru flights are generally not searchble online (?), but I found them available on awardnexus for UA, NH and AC. So this be the case for KF as well.

Additionally I asked to reserve the first segments, which she denied because I do not have miles in my account right know.
A different agent a week ago could do this.
Do you have any help for me or am I that unluck to get only uncapable persons on the phone?
I just want to hold of routing, which I found as available on united, and then transfer the miles from Amex to KF knowing that I can really book it.

Would be really great if you could help me with this

Thanks

Old Dec 16, 18, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by basti1989 View Post
On United I found several Saver Awards already with different routings, which should be bookable for Krisflyer as Star Alliance Partner as well.
That is an entirely reasonable but incorrect assumption. The inventory is different. This has been noted several times recently.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:44 pm

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
Similarily for the miles in the account part. The rule is that miles need to be in the KF account. That it is possible to reserve / hold a flight without that is true, but more of a favor by an individual agent and not something you can insist on. Insisting on it and citing the example of another agent will only lead to those folks getting reprimanded and than they will stop doing this altogether. YMMV.
Old Dec 17, 18, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help so far.

Regarding Avianca Peru awards, how can I proeceed then?
According United and Awardnexus these are available, as per my google results Avianca Peru flights are not searchable online.
That would mean I need to call more or less every day to find out if it's really available to KF or not?

Of course I don't want to call and disturb all the times, it's always a thin line to be polite but frustrating to get all the times different answers when I contact the hotline
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Not to revive an old thread but I'm in the same boat here. I'm getting a little frustrated here too. I know Singapore doesn't release much in the way of business class to other programs, is this just retaliatory by the other airlines? Much like the OP I can find multiple days with multiple routing options on different carriers and the SQ site gives me nothing, every single time. UA/EF show availability for MDE-MAD-CAI, SQ shows no availability at all for MDE-MAD via any routing, and then only double connecting routings for MAD-CAI. I'm looking for Economy in MARCH, the reality is there should be at least a handful of days with availability. I click flexible dates every time and come up with absolutely nothing, I just keep getting nothing.

You're seriously telling me that there's not ONE SINGLE ECONOMY seat available in the entire week of March 18, 2020 from MDE-MAD in any routing? That's total BS. I've also tried searching the return JNB/CPT-MDE/BOG and come up with absolutely nothing, April 1 and the week surrounding it. I can find FRA-BOG which of course comes with almost $500CAD in fees, but when I search JNB-FRA (which I know to be available via all other tools) I get told it's illegal due to back tracking.

What use are these miles if there's no availability for anything? When I search on UA/EF I call up Aeroplan and they see the same thing...in my experience calling SQ, I've been flat out told the no availability answer, then when feeding them flights one by one, suddenly poof, everything is ok.

So I guess the main question is, how the hell do you guys actually USE the miles, outside of SQ or Silk flights?
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
So I guess the main question is, how the hell do you guys actually USE the miles, outside of SQ or Silk flights?
You've answered your own question. The value of KF is in SQ/MI redemptions.
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:49 am

Not to revive an old thread but I'm in the same boat here. I'm getting a little frustrated here too. I know Singapore doesn't release much in the way of business class to other programs, is this just retaliatory by the other airlines?
Only regional flights for premium cabins are released to partners.

Much like the OP I can find multiple days with multiple routing options on different carriers and the SQ site gives me nothing, every single time.
Please be advised that the SQ site does not show all availability. Please call and check. Also, sometimes, they only allow booking within a certain date. Try to ask/check for nearer dates, see if you can get anything or correlate with UA/NH availability. For example, my NH domestic flight, UA was showing full availability until like 6 or 9 months ahead. NH itself only showing like 3 months worth of availability. SQ (calling) is something similar to UA with few weeks less.

I find it perfectly fine using for SQ only. Only other experience outside SQ was for NH domestic and the now defunct VX.

Other than, I try to book using the operating carrier's frequent flyer program (ie BR with BR miles).
Old Jul 5, 19, 7:44 pm

Been a frustrating experience for me as well (SIN-YYZ)....

AC, NH, UA all showed availabilities but not on SQ KF.....

Ended up having the buy the North American segment
Old Jul 5, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I know Singapore doesn't release much in the way of business class to other programs, is this just retaliatory by the other airlines?
Absolutely - what goes around comes around
Old Jul 6, 19, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by fone View Post
Only regional flights for premium cabins are released to partners.
Not necessarily, but I know that's the intent. I got a seat on the JNB-SIN second frequency coming up next year. There's like 4 days a week where there's no availability and 3 days where 1 flight has 1 seat. I don't even really like the 350 J seat, but I only flew it SIN-KUL last time, so we'll see if it's better or worse on a long haul.

Please be advised that the SQ site does not show all availability. Please call and check. Also, sometimes, they only allow booking within a certain date. Try to ask/check for nearer dates, see if you can get anything or correlate with UA/NH availability. For example, my NH domestic flight, UA was showing full availability until like 6 or 9 months ahead. NH itself only showing like 3 months worth of availability. SQ (calling) is something similar to UA with few weeks less.
This is interesting, they do list the rules for NH domestic flights. But, the problem with calling is just that you don't know if you've gotten an agent who's incompetent or lazy, or if the availability just isn't there. I have ammo when I call aeroplan, I know the rules, I know the MPM, I know the availability. So when they told me my SQ seat had gone because they swapped to an all Y aircraft, I called BS right away and said that aircraft doesn't exist, and that they could see I already had the seat, so they bought me a seat instead.

I find it perfectly fine using for SQ only. Other than, I try to book using the operating carrier's frequent flyer program (ie BR with BR miles).
The problem is, that's extremely limiting. I live in a city that no longer has SQ. YVR hasn't had SQ service for years, though SEA does soon. We do have BR, but like I can't imagine the programs are all like this. I have experience with UA/AC/SQ/AV it seems to me UA/AV/AC have warts of course, but you can come up with pretty great itineraries with a little effort. I have miles and time invested in CM/OZ and have yet to redeem, so hopefully they're a bit easier. I'm trying to burn off my SQ mileage and drop off the program entirely.
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:32 am

...Aeroplan, United, Lifemiles all show the same availability. I call Krisflyer ask to check "award availability" and it was as if he'd never heard the words before. I said "I'd like to get a miles ticket". Again, I could FEEL the blank stare on the other end. When he finally figured out what I wanted, he told me to contact Krisflyer directly, which of course doesn't have a Canadian number, so I asked him to check. Within about 30 seconds of being on hold he told me exactly what their website does..."no availability...for anything...ever". I'm trying to book an economy ticket 8 months in advance...like come on.