Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

My first (and last) experience with Singapore Air (J class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first (and last) experience with Singapore Air (J class)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Maybe he has lived in country, like me, where Evian is available at every shabby train station corner store for under a buck.
Or in Evian Les Bains itself (on the south bank of lake Geneva), where you can as much as you can carry (bring your own bottles, admittedly) at no charge.
Just go to the 'source' (spring) and fill up!

I now fear that the fact that you can get this premium water at no cost might put him off...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Or in Evian Les Bains itself (on the south bank of lake Geneva), where you can as much as you can carry (bring your own bottles, admittedly) at no charge.
Just go to the 'source' (spring) and fill up!

I now fear that the fact that you can get this premium water at no cost might put him off...
With it being given free to the hoi polloi, you are right, he will be put off.

I notice his reviews never complain about the wine, alcohol or similar. I assume this is due to fact is not old enough to drink those types of more adult beverages.
ps107 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by mapleg
I notice his reviews never complain about the wine, alcohol or similar. I assume this is due to fact is not old enough to drink those types of more adult beverages.
To be fair I would never make that assumption (not old enough) of someone who lives in the Middle East, there are many adults in that part of the world who do not, or would not admit to, partaking in more “adult” beverages.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh

To be fair I would never make that assumption (not old enough) of someone who lives in the Middle East, there are many adults in that part of the world who do not, or would not admit to, partaking in more “adult” beverages.
That thought did cross my mind, but reading his complaints, I still think my guess is the best guess.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:10 pm

Can’t believe folks here decided to feed the beast to 6 pages and counting...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:41 pm

Did OP really take SQ?
When did SQ handout amenity kit for SIN-HKG route? I just took it last month.
Complain about poor quality amenity kit on DXB-SIN, then happy with the kit on second leg. Were they different? (Got some 70 years anniversary kits in J, actually quite nice)
And amenity kit will not make people enjoy the flight or not, it is the onboard service.

SQ is not famous for their amenity kit (as none for J), even the First Class kit was so so when you compared to other airlines first class kit. Current Lalique inbound kit is the best one so far. One major different in SQ kid was a 30ml fragrance, which may useful for many people, but not me as I hardly use commercial brand fragrance.

Regarding hot chocolate, am sure SQ have it.

What made SQ difference? The Y class services is one of the best in the industry. And their innovation, they are the trend settle, which made other airlines to follow. In premium cabin, their were the first come up with suite concept, first to provide all direct access in J, just to name a few.

For premium cabin, really depends on the crew.
My best first class experience up to today was with SQ, because one of their best chief (and the youngest) was serving me from the bridge till arrival. I also had some not so good experience with SQ Suite Class, can you imagine an used sock was still on the ottoman under the blanket?

In general, all my experience with F were good (you pay for it), TG, LH, LX, CX, MH, EK, EY, BA, NH were all very good, UA was not very impress.

Regarding the lounge, yes Silverkris Lounge in SIN is not one of the best, even their TPR. By far LH's FCT is one of the best. CX's The Pier first class was also nicer then TPR. BUT the dining manu in TPR was better than many.

The main factors are the route and price.

To travel long haul in Y, SQ may be one of the best choice.

Last edited by jjjohn; Dec 21, 2018 at 10:48 pm
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jjjohn
Did OP really take SQ?
When did SQ handout amenity kit for SIN-HKG route? I just took it last month.
Complain about poor quality amenity kit on DXB-SIN, then happy with the kit on second leg. Were they different? (Got some 70 years anniversary kits in J, actually quite nice)
And amenity kit will not make people enjoy the flight or not, it is the onboard service.

SQ is not famous for their amenity kit (as none for J), even the First Class kit was so so when you compared to other airlines first class kit. Current Lalique inbound kit is the best one so far. One major different in SQ kid was a 30ml fragrance, which may useful for many people, but not me as I hardly use commercial brand fragrance.

Regarding hot chocolate, am sure SQ have it.

What made SQ difference? The Y class services is one of the best in the industry. And their innovation, they are the trend settle, which made other airlines to follow. In premium cabin, their were the first come up with suite concept, first to provide all direct access in J, just to name a few.

For premium cabin, really depends on the crew.
My best first class experience up to today was with SQ, because one of their best chief (and the youngest) was serving me from the bridge till arrival. I also had some not so good experience with SQ Suite Class, can you imagine an used sock was still on the ottoman under the blanket?

In general, all my experience with F were good (you pay for it), TG, LH, LX, CX, MH, EK, EY, BA, NH were all very good, UA was not very impress.

Regarding the lounge, yes Silverkris Lounge in SIN is not one of the best, even their TPR. By far LH's FCT is one of the best. CX's The Pier first class was also nicer then TPR. BUT the dining manu in TPR was better than many.

The main factors are the route and price.

To travel long haul in Y, SQ may be one of the best choice.
Not sure where to start since this is a long post but I will try to respond as much as possible.

I was given an amenity kit from SIN - HKG and I was impressed since for such a short flight I received a kit (unlike other airlines.) Yes! the quality was not up to standards but at least I received something (which I mentioned in one of my posts above that this was one of my positives experiences on SQ.)

Not really sure about the availability of hot chocolate, but I had booked my BTC meal one month in advance, and not to serve my meal on that flight was a huge disappointment for me. I still have my boarding passes with me if you doubt that I took my flight.

I have never tried SQ Y class (nor do I intend to try it after my experience on J class.) Again, I never felt I received exceptional service for J class. However, I am extremely satisfied with EK's economy seats (I'm aiming to reach gold soon so I have no intentions of switching carriers and prefer to be loyal to the airline that takes good care of me.)

I will not go into many details, but to conclude I'm happy with EK and I intend to continue to fly them no matter what people say about it. As mentioned above I have experiences a variety of airlines and I'm happy with EK.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by aceboy44
However, I am extremely satisfied with EK's economy seat...
Wow, and we thought you are hard to please
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Wow, and we thought you are hard to please
and 10 seats per row in their B777
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aceboy44
I will not go into many details, but to conclude I'm happy with EK and I intend to continue to fly them no matter what people say about it. As mentioned above I have experiences a variety of airlines and I'm happy with EK.
Didn't you vow to never fly EK again?
HKG_Flyer1 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by moondog
Didn't you vow to never fly EK again?
Many times
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:09 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Deleted as was supposed to have been preview & not submit , sorry

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 23, 2018 at 9:20 am
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:19 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Just returned on EK from VIE last night & having flown to ZAG on them too , simply because SIA does not fly to these airports / destinations . Doubt I will fly them for a long time if I can help it . They were good before but standards have fallen , possibly in tandem with other airlines with cost cutting . The inflight crews were helpful if forgetful .
Dubai transit lounges are not that great & the multicultural lounge dragons are a hit & miss . Some are pleasant and professional while one , e.g. just likes wearing the uniform & looking pretty .. Actually , likely keeps to communistic norms which she grew up with & possibly hired due to passable language abilities & looking presentable .
For a top airport , there were no aerobridges on 3 occasions on this trip alone . Rather shocking .

Hope SQ resumes flights to VIE .

FYI , SKL has Evian .
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Just returned on EK from VIE last night & having flown to ZAG on them too , simply because SIA does not fly to these airports / destinations . Doubt I will fly them for a long time if I can help it . They were good before but standards have fallen , possibly in tandem with other airlines with cost cutting . The inflight crews were helpful if forgetful .
Dubai transit lounges are not that great & the multicultural lounge dragons are a hit & miss . Some are pleasant and professional while one , e.g. just likes wearing the uniform & looking pretty .. Actually , likely keeps to communistic norms which she grew up with & possibly hired due to passable language abilities & looking presentable .
For a top airport , there were no aerobridges on 3 occasions on this trip alone . Rather shocking .

Hope SQ resumes flights to VIE .

FYI , SKL has Evian .
Totally hate meeting people from other cultures when I travel... oh how I wish the whole world could just be white American males...
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Sorry- I just don’t buy the bs.

1. SQ service has decreased somewhat. But I personally think it’s stikl better than any of the ME3. QR comes closest to SQ.

2. I personally love the SQ seats (wide). Other than the new A380 J class- I think it’s best in the sky (yes I am chubby). EK business class is a joke. EY is too narrow to get in and out. Q suite is good. But little cramped.

3. Catering- I think QR has Singapore beat. But EY and EK just so so.

4. I think SQ lounge in Singapore has better food than QR/EY on par with EK. EY lounge in AUH is a disaster. QR has the best hardware- but food so so.

Overall- SQ is better than QR (not by much). EY and EK just blows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.