Singapore phasing out 777-200... when?

Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Question Singapore phasing out 777-200... when?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, or if anyone has the answer, but...

Have booked a multi-city, which includes a leg from Melbourne to Singapore, for October 2019. It's currently scheduled on a 777-200ER.
My understanding is that they're phasing out the 777-200s altogether, for A350s and 787s. I'm wondering what the likelihood is of that happening in the next 9 months?

If anyone has experience riding Business on Singapore's 777-200ER (6 across in Business), please share.
By the looks of it, it's going to be fairly dire
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by directordash
If anyone has experience riding Business on Singapore's 777-200ER (6 across in Business), please share.
Does your seat map show 6 across? I thought only the 772 (non-ERs) still had those older seats.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by directordash
By the looks of it, it's going to be fairly dire
It and the A330 have the old regional angled flat product. If you could swap to the earlier 77W or later A350 that would be better, but often these things aren't possible. I find if you go in with the attitude that it is dire, yes it will be dire.

But given you are travelling MEL-SIN, this is an afternoon/evening flight and the most derided element is that the seat is only angled when in bed position, it's probably OK. If you are not desiring to sleep then it's perfectly acceptable, it's certainly a wide seat and use the pillows and blanket to find the optimal sitting comfort. If you do want to sleep, the tip is to put it into fully flat mode, and raise it ever so slightly to but a slight kink in it, that stops sliding down, and if any spare pillows use that to rest your feet on, and it's not too bad.

Oh, two other things, firstly, IFE selection is more limited than other aircraft in the fleet (well it is in economy, I assume the same in business, but it has been a while since on that type in business, so can't remember). Secondly, I find bulkheads best for extra legroom, if you can secure such a seat (unless you have status, usually not until check in opens).
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
Does your seat map show 6 across? I thought only the 772 (non-ERs) still had those older seats.
This is the flight that tags to WLG, so 2-2-2 config is correct.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I'm hoping for upgraded aircraft SIN-IST in 15 months' time, so I've got my crystal balls out (both of them)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Top of climb
This is the flight that tags to WLG, so 2-2-2 config is correct.
Ah OK, so the 777-200 (non-ER) then. I got confused cos TS mentioned 777-200ER in his post.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: Hilton (D)
My PER SIN flight in May was also a 772 with 2x2x2 J, but recently changed to a 330 also 2x2x2 J So theres definitely swap action going on.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
I was on the six across 772 from HKG to SIN a month and a half ago. The flight was 9AM to 1PM, so there was no opportunity to deploy the lie flat seat. It was a comfortable enough seat and I ended up falling asleep for an hour after the meal.

it is what it is, business class on a regional, relatively short route (and, yes, after the long haul from SFO to HKG, four hours seems like a puddle jump.)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve
I was on the six across 772 from HKG to SIN a month and a half ago. The flight was 9AM to 1PM, so there was no opportunity to deploy the lie flat seat. It was a comfortable enough seat and I ended up falling asleep for an hour after the meal.

it is what it is, business class on a regional, relatively short route (and, yes, after the long haul from SFO to HKG, four hours seems like a puddle jump.)
Try it on a redeye like the OP's SIN-MEL and your opinion might change
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Try it on a redeye like the OP's SIN-MEL and your opinion might change
OP's MEL-SIN, that's an afternoon/evening service, not a redeye!

But I still maintain it's a matter of attitude. If you go in thinking it's dire it surely will be. I still recall (as recently as 10 years ago) taking regular SQ 237 flights overnight from SIN to MEL on cradle seats. You would do whatever you could to get on an angled lie flat overnight. We're all getting way too precious these days!!
RTWFF, Camohe and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by lokijuh
OP's MEL-SIN, that's an afternoon/evening service, not a redeye!

But I still maintain it's a matter of attitude. If you go in thinking it's dire it surely will be. I still recall (as recently as 10 years ago) taking regular SQ 237 flights overnight from SIN to MEL on cradle seats. You would do whatever you could to get on an angled lie flat overnight. We're all getting way too precious these days!!
You're right - I misread the OP.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's quite a stretch to compare a 4 hour HKG-SIN hop to an 8 hour MEL-SIN flight.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
I'm probably in the minority, but I actually do prefer the old regional J seats for day flights -- even up to 8 hours -- especially when flying with a companion. They work very well as a seat. Just not that well as a bed.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by cowie
I'm probably in the minority, but I actually do prefer the old regional J seats for day flights -- even up to 8 hours -- especially when flying with a companion. They work very well as a seat. Just not that well as a bed.
That was the gist of my (perhaps poorly worded) post. For a daytime flight, I thought the seat was fine. For an overnight flight, I would hate the seat.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Could be completely coincidental, but I have some flights booked SIN-BKK a couple of times next summer and recently got emails about equipment changes to 772, meaning they must be anticipating pulling some out of service somewhere as this route is generally mostly on the 330.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jinrop
Could be completely coincidental, but I have some flights booked SIN-BKK a couple of times next summer and recently got emails about equipment changes to 772, meaning they must be anticipating pulling some out of service somewhere as this route is generally mostly on the 330.
yikes I hope it goes back to 330s ! I just see my flight changed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.