Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

AVOID KrisFlyer scheme/scam if you travel as a family!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVOID KrisFlyer scheme/scam if you travel as a family!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
1. Some airlines permit this for an extortionate fees, some don't at all, very few have free and user friendly pooling features (e.g. BA HH account)
2. pretty standard. You can use miles from account A to upgrade passenger B, but can't use 10k from account A, 15k from B and 7k from C. Normal
3. 3 years, pretty standard
4. I don't know, I'd assume it depends on the *A partners making awards available to some degree

TL/DR, OPW?
Agreed, all of the KrisFlyer features seem pretty standard, particular for APAC. Perhaps OP could enlighten us as to which programs he considers to not be, in his words, a scam.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
My wife and I belong to KF, UA Mikeage Plus and AAdvantage. None of them free transfers between spouses. We did have to do it once on AA when I was short a couple of thousand points on an Asian trip. It’s a pain, but certainly not a scam. KF does have some inconsistent rules on points transferred from credit cards, however. Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to a spouse, but Thank You points can only go to the individual. I got caught not knowing the TY point rule and the points ended up in SQ limbo for a while. But, you live and learn.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jorrdanhammond Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by jorrdanhammond
  1. Being able to transfer with a fee is far better that not being able to transfer at all and the points disappearing. Qantas has no transfer fee.
  2. Without a transfer option, pooling your family accounts would be the only logical solution. Since you can only have 5 connected accounts, abusing this would be hard. What's the purpose of being able to connect the accounts of you cannot share the points? A "pointless" feature.
  3. 3 years without automatic extension? I've never come across this before. Every point system I've used is N years from the last date of activity for the entire points balance. KrisFlyer ignores you activity and auto-expires points after 3 years no matter how much you fly with them.
It's by far, the worst FF programme that I've ever come across.
Being able to move QF ff points, for free, to eligible family members is one of the better features of the QF ffp (Its hard to think of many more). That QF free transfer and/or family pooling offered with some other ffps is not common. On the flip side QF has atrocious cash surcharges on awards, poor award availability and poor ff points & SC earning on many partners. For awards QF earn to burn is poor.

Hard expiry is not unusual ---> Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

If you want to look at bad ffp look at Air NZ (Star Alliance). SQ ffp is shiny platinum compared to NZ's very dull bronze.

FFP's are not all the same. You need to understand the t&c's. Its not fine print, but clearly on the web sites. Many ffp's have a sweet spot or features that benefit some people. Here on FT you can that information/limitations to get the best benefit from a ffp.
TerryK likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:29 pm

In the small print of the KrisFlyer terms & conditions is a small line that mentions that pooling of points is not permitted. They have a system that allows you to access the points of your family members, but you cannot use those points combined to access any reward.

11. Pooling of KrisFlyer miles and/or status credits is not permitted and each KrisFlyer membership can only be utilised by one person. Singapore Airlines reserves the right to cancel a KrisFlyer account and all KrisFlyer miles and/or status credits in the account, if it is found to be used by more than one person.

So if you have a family who travel together, each with their own KrisFlyer account, and later you want to use all those points to upgrade a flight. You can't.

What do we know about the KrisFlyer scheme?
  1. You cannot transfer points to other members
  2. You cannot pool points between connected accounts
  3. Your points expire extremely rapidly
  4. Within Europe, your reward flight options are extremely limited (once on the phone every reward flight available between EU cities was to go via Singapore)
So honestly, ask yourself. Why bother with Singapore Airlines at all?

There are so many other options out there without such restrictive rules.
SQ is run as a business so they made this decision after careful thought. Just like (at the other extreme) they removed Lifetime PPS.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
It's by far, the worst FF programme that I've ever come across.
If you have some free time I suggest you look into Qatar's Privilege Club to see what's a truly bad FFP.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
So honestly, ask yourself. Why bother with Singapore Airlines at all?
There are so many other options out there without such restrictive rules.
If you don't like the no pooling rule then don't bother with KrisFlyer. All the better for lessening demand on award flights for the rest of us
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
TL/DR, OPW?
Originally Posted by nancypants

does OPW mean what I think it means?! ������
Over privileged wank.., so says Urban Dictionary.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
My main points experience has been with Qantas which does free family transfers. This works fine without issue. The other is Virgin Atlantic, which have proven in more than 10 years to be impossible to use. The "surcharges" normally cost more than the list flight price. I have 300K of those which I've not been able to ever use. If there's any good posts for using these, let me know.
As I said above, if you want to fly SQ and have family transfers ... find a way to join Virgin Australia's program, it mirror's Qantas's in many aspects including family transfer. As for Virgin Atlantic, it used to be impossible, I've found more luck recently since they allowed one way awards on various partners (used to be always round trip) and in particular since SQ dropped their surcharges, as it makes economy redemptions on SQ more viable. I have used VS points on some SQ business class awards, but it is pretty restrictive ... as no 350/77W/380.. so you have to look hard.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Here are my top 5 reasons.
1. Access to Singapore Airlines suites first class award redemptions.
2. Sweet spots in redemptions between the Middle East and Europe (Dubai to London etc.) or Maldives to Europe, North America and Hawaii etc.
3. NO fuel surcharges on Singapore Airlines own flight awards
4. Very low cancel/change fee (20 USD)
5. Ability to wait list Singapore Airlines own flight awards and they don’t charge a close-in ticketing fee (booking an award within 21 days of travel)

among others.
Aehm on point 4), when was the last time you cancelled a SQ redemption and got miles redeposited? It is 70USD these days IIRC after the May 2018 fee increases.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Here's a good overview of which airlines allow family pooling: 21 Airlines That Allow Families to Pool Miles - The Points Guy
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cowie
If you have some free time I suggest you look into Qatar's Privilege Club to see what's a truly bad FFP.
There are a couple Latin American ones that are incomprehensible so this one is actually pretty clear. It's hard to imagine people slamming Singapore for much.
When I saw the post title and trending I bet myself they had one post but now 5 but no surprise.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Qantas does. Free transfers between 5K & 600K points. Can redeem on any One World flight.
OK, that's one. A quick visit to the QF forum suggests that it is not all rainbows and unicorns with the members there.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:14 pm

OP is right that SQ’s mileage expiration rules are rough, but otherwise I find it a pretty useful program.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: KF
Originally Posted by lkar
OP is right that SQ’s mileage expiration rules are rough, but otherwise I find it a pretty useful program.
Sure, but naming the title as scam? Im not sure if its humor or sheer ignorance.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To credit *A miles into a family account, look at the OZ program. KE allows family accounts and IIRC OZ does too. Otherwise, in my mind the major ones would be BA and QF, both in oneworlld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.