Transit hotels, Scoot

Old Dec 2, 18, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Transit hotels, Scoot

*MODS, please feel free to move thread if it doesn't belong here*

Hi,
I'll be traveling KIX - SIN - BDO. I'm unable to get a seat on SQ, I'm forced to fly KIX - SIN on Scoot and SIN - BDO on Silk.
Going, I'm expected to reach SIN at 1am and depart SIN for BDO at 10:00am, about 9 hours transit time.
On my way back, I reach SIN at 7pm and my next flight to KIX is at 10:30am next day, about 14 hours transit.

Going, I thought I would stay at the transit hotels in Changi. Aerohotel seems like a good choice. (Reading the other threads, when booking I'll ask for a window room).
Problem is my return transit time. I've got 14 hours which is enough to go into the City but I really don't want to pull my suitcase around the city. Plus for one night I really dont want to blow my budget. Any suggestions where to stay?

Its my first time travelling on Scoot. Tips, suggestions, comments on how to make my flight more comfortable? I was wondering if there was a way to smuggle in booze to drink on the flight? Or bring my own dinner on board?

Thanks for reading and your comments.
Old Dec 2, 18, 8:40 am

I'm by means no expert on Scoot / Silk, but I know about about Singapore / Changi in general

So let me add my 5 cents (no smaller denominations in SGD )

On the way to Indonesia, staying at an airport / airside hotel is probably indeed the best way to go, since that will allow you to maximize sleeping time and otherwise with "just" 9hrs any other hotel choice would probably be less optimal. So yes, Aerotel for something like 6hrs (should be 55 USD if booked in advance) would probably be a good choice.

On the way back, this depends heavily if you're into Singapore, then obviously hitting the city, enjoying food at a Hawker center, etc. will be what you're looking for. And while Singapore isn't cheap, a decent 4* (small room, though) central hotel will be around 100 USD. Plenty of choice on those (mostly marketing themselves as "Boutique hotels") so I won't do a recommandation, Google/Tripadvisor is just fine with that Anywhere around Boat / Clarke Quay if you're into party, or somewhere around Chinatown if more into food I'd say. But Singapore is small, and the public transport gets you anywhere, quickly. Or Grab.

If you've booked the whole trip under one PNR (one ticket), then your luggage will be checked through. You can hop onto the MRT with just hand luggage and no worries.

Regarding bringing alcohol (to drink onboard) and food onto Scoot, I'd strongly discourge you from doing so. Better to eat beforehand then getting into trouble. Or actually ordering some inflight food. It's not that bad.
Old Dec 2, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by CordW View Post
I've got 14 hours which is enough to go into the City but I really don't want to pull my suitcase around the city.
There are left luggage services in all 3 terminals, which you can store your luggage at a reasonable rate while you explore the city. Just be aware that on your way back, it's not likely that you'll get a chance to use the airside hotels if you decide to head out. I think Scoot will only issue boarding passes 3hrs prior to departure. Perhaps it might be a better idea to get a cheap hotel in the city instead.

Baggage Storage:
Airport Attractions - Singapore Changi Airport
Old Dec 2, 18, 9:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Regarding bringing alcohol (to drink onboard) and food onto Scoot, I'd strongly discourge you from doing so. Better to eat beforehand then getting into trouble. Or actually ordering some inflight food. It's not that bad.
For food, if you bring out a steaming curry, or some obnoxious smelling fast food, not advisable. But being subtle about it, no-one is going to stop you having some snacks on board, flight attendants aren't constantly roaming the cabin to catch people out. Some sandwiches (with non smelly fillings), fresh fruit (other than durian ), nuts, dried fruit, cakes/buns, potato crisps etc, should all be OK, and I've taken and consumed this sort of food on Scoot before without any problems. On website it says no food, but I think the wording used on board is is now no consumption of "pre-prepared meals" (or something like that).

Other tip, for departure ex-SIN on Scoot, as security is gate based, you can't buy drinks in the terminal and take on board with you anyway, but you can, and many people do, take an empty water bottle with them and fill it up using the drinking water taps in the "holding pens" at the boarding gates, after security. You will see the queues of people lined up to do so prior to boarding.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
I've booked my seats, for both going and return. Paid extra for exit row seats.
Booked the Hot Chicken meal for the going. My return is right after breakfast, so I thought I should stuff myself before getting in the aircraft.
Maybe a few snacks hidden in my bag. Does Scoot have cold/hot water in the aircraft? Or do I have to pay to get water too? I was thinking of carrying tea bags or even a cup ramen.

Entertainment, I normally watch the inflight movies but seems like Scoot charges for entertainment so I'll pass.

Little anxious about flying. I don't have a fear of flying. Its the before I get to the gate and after I land, I get all nervous with my stomach in knots.
Old Dec 4, 18, 1:45 pm

In Scoot you pay for everything. Water is 4 usd. Personally i would buy a bottle from airport as well as high calorie small unsalted snacks like casius or hazelnuts. They ask with pre departure e mail from passengers not to bring food in the cabin. They may also offer you to buy one or two empty seats next to you, as well as premium upgrade. If u see a passenger using a whole row seat for himself its because he paid for it. And theres no refund policy even if they cancel the flight by their own fault.
From Athens, they are a bit relaxed, not checking baggage weight from what passengers say.
Old Dec 4, 18, 4:36 pm

Plus Ex-ATH, EU261 applies, so you've full coverage and you can hit them with the full 600€ compensation if they try something funny like cancelling a flight less than 2 weeks in advance
Old Dec 5, 18, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Plus Ex-ATH, EU261 applies, so you've full coverage and you can hit them with the full 600 compensation if they try something funny like cancelling a flight less than 2 weeks in advance
Which is not impossible to happens as these budget airlines can cancel if they dont get 80-90% capacity. I found ATH to SIN for 315 rountrip but decided not to risk by booking 3 months earlier.
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:01 am

Programs: FlyingBlue, Miles and More, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by tango3 View Post
I think Scoot will only issue boarding passes 3hrs prior to departure.
Firstly you can also check-in online, without check-in luggage you may be allowed to proceed directly to the gate with self-printed/online boarding pass.

Anyway, to my experience Scoot isn't that strict with the 3hrs, I got my boarding pass always earlier than that.
Old Dec 8, 18, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for posting in the thread.
I've booked my meal, going. For the return, I think I'll buy some snacks and munch on the flight.
I bought exit row seats both ways. Hope I can stretch my legs.

Entertainment wise, I was told to pay $5-6 (not sure how much) for the ipad and watch movies thru the WiFi system on board.
I have my work laptop with me but its 6 years old and battery doesn't hold much charge. Electricity is available (not free of course)

Question, I have my laptop bag with me. Can I still buy duty free in Changi to take on board? Or buy doing so will my purchases be considered as extra hand carriage?
Alcohol I plan on buying so I can't carry it together with my laptop.
Old Dec 8, 18, 2:21 am
Original Poster

About transit time, I've booked Aerotel for my 9 hour transit going.
SilkAir allows check in 48 hours before flight. I can check in and go to the hotel.

Return Im staying at my friends place. Little guilty for imposing on his family.
Old Yesterday, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by SQ325 View Post
Firstly you can also check-in online, without check-in luggage you may be allowed to proceed directly to the gate with self-printed/online boarding pass.

Anyway, to my experience Scoot isn't that strict with the 3hrs, I got my boarding pass always earlier than that.
Online check in i think its only possible for flights departing SIN
Old Yesterday, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by CordW View Post
Hi, thanks for posting in the thread.
I've booked my meal, going. For the return, I think I'll buy some snacks and munch on the flight.
I bought exit row seats both ways. Hope I can stretch my legs.

Entertainment wise, I was told to pay $5-6 (not sure how much) for the ipad and watch movies thru the WiFi system on board.
I have my work laptop with me but its 6 years old and battery doesn't hold much charge. Electricity is available (not free of course)

Question, I have my laptop bag with me. Can I still buy duty free in Changi to take on board? Or buy doing so will my purchases be considered as extra hand carriage?
Alcohol I plan on buying so I can't carry it together with my laptop.
The one time I used Scoot in South East Asia was the one time I got asked to put my snacks away. There was a further announcement over the tannoy around 5 mins after this that food purchased outside of the aircraft was not permitted to be consumed on board.....

If you are seen eating snacks purchased off aircraft, just be prepared to be asked to have them put away.