Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Damaged Baggage, repaired, get even worse (on purpose?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Want to share experience with all other Flyers
Been a member of Krisflyer Elite Gold since the last 16 years, will be hitting the 1 million miles next year
Travelling for business mostly on SQ
Corporate member tier 2 for Singapore Airlines

Fly on 6th August 2018,
Bag is damaged upon arrival, submit report, got PIR. No time for repair, on tight schedule
Returning 11th August 2018,
Report shown, bag is repaired after 14 days. Upon return, dent was fixed, zipper was not.
Made subsequent claim, this is when things get fuzzy.
Local Baggage handler (BH) refused to repair zipper, since they said, they only fixed the dent. Submitted photpgraphs and report that the zipper is broken due to dent. BH mentioned that SQ Airport didnot authorize to fixed the zipper. Made call to SQ office and explained that the problem is caused by the dent. BH refused to pick up the bag back, saying SQ Airport didnt authorize the pick up. Made another call to SQ office and later they agree to pick up the bag.
24th September, they pick up the bag, returning on 17th October. Didnt have to check since still on business trip, once arrived and checked, the bag was in worst condition then before it fixed. They even tore the inner lining which got nothing to do with fixing the dent and zipper. The zipper was sew very poorly. This time the bag is unusable
I wonder if they had done it on purpose or they have a substandard repair service.
Made another claim on this issue, no follow up. Being a corporate member, I called the SQ Head office, and report my issue to sales rep.
SQ Juanda Airport, called on 07th November asking for solution, I expect a full replacement of the bag. I mentioned all the chronologies, and why I asked for full replacement of the bag. Since Im travelling on 08th November, I even want to show the bag to him in airport.
SQ Juanda Airport mentioned that no need to submit the bag, and they offered 'pity money' since the bag is 'used, no receipt of purchase, had diminished valued'
For goodness sake, this bag become unusable because of your repair quality. Bag got damaged all the time (tell me about it) but not like this, bag damaged because its got repaired!
SQ Juanda Airport promised to call and follow up within one day. Up until now, no follow up.

Submitting my formal complain in SQ Website and Krisflyer member support.

Will see if anything came up after formal complain

Anyone got similar experience? or its just me?

P.S.

First damaged

First dent

After 1st repaired

After 2nd repair, unusable condition, if you look closely, they even left the trash from fixing the bag, inside the bag...

After 2nd repair, they torn the middle zipper, which has nothing to do with fixing it and left the trash inside

This makes me questioned the intention of SQ, are they did this on purpose.

Regards
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:59 pm

Had a damaged luggage bag last year flying SIN-AKL. Made a report after returning to SIN a few weeks later before leaving the arrival hall. If i remember correctly, the damage was inspected on the same day and was told that the repair was not viable. Compensation was offered but the process required entering the restricted zone.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
SQ is garbage when it comes to compensation. Experienced it first hand myself when my bag was delayed for 20 days - offered only USD1000 in comp when I spent over USD3000 to replace the things I needed in the 20 days. I voted with my feet to move business elsewhere.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinoh
Had a damaged luggage bag last year flying SIN-AKL. Made a report after returning to SIN a few weeks later before leaving the arrival hall. If i remember correctly, the damage was inspected on the same day and was told that the repair was not viable. Compensation was offered but the process required entering the restricted zone.
Damage reported on the spot upon arrival, received PIR and case number straight away.
Damage baggage happened all the time. Its normal

what its not, going through 4th months problem is not resolved, even got worse which made the bag unusable. Thats why I am asking, is this something they did on purpose. Baggage repair suppose to solve the issue, and not creating new problem which made it unusable

And the funny thing, they offered compensation half the price since no receipt, depreciation, bla bla bla. The bag will not be unusable if they done proper repair.

i wabt to post pictures, but i need to post 5 times before i can upload anything in this forum. Strange isnt it
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rooivalk
SQ is garbage when it comes to compensation. Experienced it first hand myself when my bag was delayed for 20 days - offered only USD1000 in comp when I spent over USD3000 to replace the things I needed in the 20 days. I voted with my feet to move business elsewhere.
Up in the air, I would say SQ is the best. Had many story to tell on the air that quite moving.
on the ground, their service got worse as times pass by. The SQ office, airport crew, customer service, their business lounge is getting lower and lower, even in their hometurf Changi.

Compensation wise, I had same experience. They dont state clearly the amount of compensation, once my bag is delayed for more than 2x24hrs due to missing connection. 3 of us travelling and they offered USD 55 for all 3 of us. The reason, cause the bag was checked in under 1 name. They should blame the ground crew, why put all the bag under 1 name? Imagine USD 55 for 3 person (48 hours)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:25 pm

Try posting on SQ FB page!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:10 pm

Which station?

My last experience: Reported broken wheel on the spot in SIN. They picked up my luggage back home (I had to chase for the pick up though). Repair took 4 month, but at least the repair was done professionally by the local repair centre of the manufacturer. But no one from SQ couldn't really give any information on the progress nor when repair is expected to be finished. Took quite a few calls to be reunited with my luggage.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by SQ325
Which station?

My last experience: Reported broken wheel on the spot in SIN. They picked up my luggage back home (I had to chase for the pick up though). Repair took 4 month, but at least the repair was done professionally by the local repair centre of the manufacturer. But no one from SQ couldn't really give any information on the progress nor when repair is expected to be finished. Took quite a few calls to be reunited with my luggage.
I reported damage on a Saturday morning arriving 6am at SIN, big dent near wheel. Luggage collected from home the same afternoon, replaced with new baggage albeit less value suitcase by Monday.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ325
Which station?

Juanda Airport, Surabaya. Pick up was done in 3 days after report.
1st repair only 10 days, dent repaired, but the zipper is not, asking for 2nd repair took forever since SQ Airport doesnt authorize it.
2nd repair took 3 weeks, zipper replaced with very crappy work, and they even left the garbage/leftover inside the bag.
This is the reason, why I think they done it on purpose
Reported again with all the photographs, still no responds
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Update on my situation,

SQ Baggage handler in Surabaya, contacted me after I put a formal complain.
Instead of settling the matter, he 'bargain' with me about replacing the bag.
He mentioned the declared value of the bag is AUD. 130. I do have the original DNATA form and its nowhere stated the value of AUD. 130
I dont recall mentioning anything of AUD. 130.

I do remember, on his last phone call, that my bag purchase price was approx IDR. 1,600,000 (AUD. 160)

The SQ Baggage handler give me 2 options
1. Take AUD. 130 as final offer, and close the case
2. Get similar bag with similar value of AUD. 130

I will refuse both options, considering that
1. I dont recall I ever declare the value is AUD. 130 nor any written statement that the bag is AUD. 130
2. The similar bag value is more than AUD. 130
3. All the time spent, from August 2018 until now, I think I should have receive some sort of compensation for the waiting, YET surprise surprise, he still bargain with me for the bag value.

Will keep updating this matter
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:44 pm

I had a damage to luggage in Singapore a few years back. They looked, refused to repair as it cost too much. Sent me a replacement.

I was blue status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.