Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Searching for Star Alliance Award Availability - HELP!

Old Nov 25, 18, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Am trying to book a flight from SIN to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) via LAX. Am trying to fly on BR to LAX and then Avianca to SJO with the intention of trying a different J product.

I've searched on the SQ website for SIN to SJO but to no avail. There's award availability for 2 x J from SIN to LAX via BR (and SQ) but I can't search LAX to SJO - think only Avianca Brazil flights, and not its other subsidiaries e.g. Avianca Colombia / Avianca Costa Rica etc., are searchable.

When I rang the KF Call Centre, the first agent gave me a few combinations, all of which involved SQ. For some reason or another, she couldn't see any flights on BR. I HUCA-ed and the second agent said there were no 2 x J seats available from LAX to SJO for a range of dates e.g. 5 November 2019 to 14 November 2019. She also could not see any flights to SJO via LAX on BR and Avianca. I asked for alternatives e.g. NH/SQ from SIN to MEX via NRT, and then SJO via Avianca, but they couldn't see that option either.

I'm just wondering if (1) there's only a specific combination of airlines that I can take from SIN to SJO; and (2) there's only a few routes that I can take to get to SJO from SIN that is permitted.

On a side note, does anyone know how many days in advance does Avianca release seats to partners like SQ? It seems like one of the issues is getting a J seat from LAX to SJO.

I'll also try to call again another time - this time with specific flight numbers and routes. Just not sure how many times to give it a go - I'm more inclined to think that the call centre agents are trying their best to help, but who knows?
Old Nov 25, 18, 1:44 pm

I have something similar here...
Wanted to go from Hawaii to Lima, first segments on United are available for KF, last segment on Avianca Peru from MEX to LIM is according website and call center not available.
United, ANA and Aeroplan show them as available.

I called 3 times already but now unsure to try it again and again...

I am interested in possible solutions as well
Old Nov 25, 18, 10:43 pm

These are interesting routings. Would also be interested to hear the outcome
Old Dec 7, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Using KF miles to book US - India ticket on SQ + *A

At the outset, am a novice to SQ / KF

Am exploring the SQ website to see the possible routings for a Portland (PDX) to Kolkata (CCU) trip. The SQ website does not show Portland as a airport I can select (and that is probably because SQ does not fly there). If I select LAX, then it shows routings. I was assuming SQ will show UA flight options for the US domestic sectors to connect in LAX, but it did not.
Question - How and where can I search for itineraries which have a mix of SQ and other *A metal?

Guidance appreciated. Thx
Old Dec 7, 18, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
At the outset, am a novice to SQ / KF

Am exploring the SQ website to see the possible routings for a Portland (PDX) to Kolkata (CCU) trip. The SQ website does not show Portland as a airport I can select (and that is probably because SQ does not fly there). If I select LAX, then it shows routings. I was assuming SQ will show UA flight options for the US domestic sectors to connect in LAX, but it did not.
Question - How and where can I search for itineraries which have a mix of SQ and other *A metal?

Guidance appreciated. Thx
Like this? You can do it on the website. Just make sure you select "Redeem Flights".

Old Dec 8, 18, 9:32 am

The below doc shows what I am getting when I search for the same.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Untitled.pdf (130.2 KB, 24 views)
Old Dec 8, 18, 8:13 pm

Programs: KF
The below doc shows what I am getting when I search for the same.
ur destination CCU invalid, means it was not captured according to the system. Try typing again, it should show CCU-Kolkata ( after typing "CCU"). Its just a simple glitch.
Old Dec 8, 18, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by wanderer9020 View Post
ur destination CCU invalid, means it was not captured according to the system. Try typing again, it should show CCU-Kolkata ( after typing "CCU"). Its just a simple glitch.
Not really.. its behaving in quite a funny way. When I search for SFO - CCU (San Francisco / Los Angeles - Kolkata ) combination, everything works well , but as soon as I change the origin or destination to some airport where it needs to use other *A partners, it gives error messages.
Tried combinations using Portland / PDX, Seattle / SEA to no avail.
Old Dec 9, 18, 12:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Itís probably an availability issue. You will get an error if the website is unable to find available space on all the legs of the flight for that particular date. So the best way to search is segment wise. Make sure your PDX-SFO, SFO-CCU, CCU-SFO, SFO-PDX are all available for your travel dates.

You can use the UA site to search for saver availability as well esp. for the UA flights.

If the PDX-SFO leg is not available on UA you have a few choices - 1. Pay for the PDX-SFO leg separately. 2. Call SQ and ask them to check if there is availability on AS on the PDX-SFO leg - thatís not searchable through the website - which will mean more miles to pay.
Old Dec 10, 18, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
It’s probably an availability issue. You will get an error if the website is unable to find available space on all the legs of the flight for that particular date. So the best way to search is segment wise. Make sure your PDX-SFO, SFO-CCU, CCU-SFO, SFO-PDX are all available for your travel dates.

You can use the UA site to search for saver availability as well esp. for the UA flights.

If the PDX-SFO leg is not available on UA you have a few choices - 1. Pay for the PDX-SFO leg separately. 2. Call SQ and ask them to check if there is availability on AS on the PDX-SFO leg - that’s not searchable through the website - which will mean more miles to pay.
I checked for OW as follows :
Sample date -
11th Feb - PDX -SFO available (on UA), SFO - CCU available (on SQ) when searched separately, but when PDX - CCU is searched, it returns "There are no flights available for the criteria you selected. Please change the search criteria and try again.".
Old Dec 10, 18, 1:30 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I checked for OW as follows :
Sample date -
11th Feb - PDX -SFO available (on UA), SFO - CCU available (on SQ) when searched separately, but when PDX - CCU is searched, it returns "There are no flights available for the criteria you selected. Please change the search criteria and try again.".
Yeah but check the flight timings brother. On 11 Feb PDX - SFO the earliest you land is at 15:15. SQ 31 (SFO-SIN) leaves at 9:30 AM on the same day.

So if you have to fly SFO-CCU on Feb 11 here are your options:
1. Buy a previous day (better) or super early morning (super risky) PDX-SFO ticket...
2. Fly SQ out of a different airport eg: LAX, IAH etc.
3. Look at *A routing options like PDX-SFO (UA) - DEL (AI) - CCU (AI) etc. there’ll be several several other potential combinations. However SQ’s site isn’t the best place to search. Find a saver route on UA or Aeroplan and then call in to the SQ helpline and ask them to book it for you because you can’t find it online

Old May 3, 19, 9:25 am

ugh.... i am having similar issues as well.....

called SIN agent last night (i can hear the singlish) and they were helpful, gave me options and was able to see other *A inventories

fast forward today..... called someone else during North American office hours and cant see this, cant see that, no options available etc.....

do you think its worthwhile to HUCA for a SIN agent again? Or will it become the same?! Not sure if its knowledge or really a technical issue.
Old May 3, 19, 9:35 am

SIN agents >>>>> NA agents