Payment in

Old Nov 16, 18, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Payment in

Visting and Singapore website, noticed that even when loading my details like location etc even at the final stage of payment there is no other option than to pay in us dollars. Is it correct or am i miss something? I noticed it on other airlines too.
Old Nov 16, 18, 4:09 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Payment is in the currency of the country where the journey starts.
Old Nov 17, 18, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlySIA View Post
Payment is in the currency of the country where the journey starts.
Hmm not in my case. Although google flights is in euro, going to booking page it is converted to usd. Comparing to last year i need to pay currency conversion fees plus charge for seat reservation.
Old Nov 18, 18, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
What is the routing. I worked for airline before and it's always currency of country where the ticket starts. If your first leg is Singapore to HKG the ticket would be in SGD for example.
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chebert999 View Post
and it's always currency of country where the ticket starts. .
Not always. On the SQ website, for some countries the ticket price is quoted and booked in USD. The locations where this is the case includes (probably amongst others as well) MNL, IST & MLE.

If wanting to book in another currency, for some tickets you can use dynamic currency conversion at the final step of the booking process, but this almost never advantages the traveller (vs paying using credit card in the ticketing currency). Alternatively you need find an online (or offline) travel agent who can ticket in the currency of your credit card. This may or may not be cheaper depending what fares are being sold in the country where the travel agent is located.
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by MixalisK. View Post
Comparing to last year i need to pay currency conversion fees plus charge for seat reservation.
Is this for IST originating flight? They used to charge in Euro, but noticed they have switched to USD for payments on SQ website for journeys starting there.
Old Nov 19, 18, 5:57 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I was looking at this the other day for a SQ itinerary starting in Paris and ITA Matrix prices it in € but when going to book on Orbitz it comes up in US$ and not € even though the first leg id from France.
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Is this for IST originating flight? They used to charge in Euro, but noticed they have switched to USD for payments on SQ website for journeys starting there.
Yes it is IST to KUL.
Same for saudia site, no more euro payment option.
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:01 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Lussac View Post
I was looking at this the other day for a SQ itinerary starting in Paris and ITA Matrix prices it in but when going to book on Orbitz it comes up in US$ and not even though the first leg id from France.
Presumably, then, this is because Orbitz has already made a currency conversion.
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post

Presumably, then, this is because Orbitz has already made a currency conversion.
And that Orbitz is a US based online travel agent, which unlike various other popular sites (eg expedia, travelgenio) doesn't operate in different countries.

If wanting to pay in Euro's ... the best thing to do is use a website based in a country in the Eurozone. But, it may not always be cheaper, even with foreign exchange conversion fees that apply to many credit cards.
Old Nov 20, 18, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Another thing i need to know is if this ticket is eligible for class upgrade with miles, can i know before i buy?
I checked the miles calculator on the site but doesn't work for a reason.. Can anyone tell me the miles needed to upgrade from ist to sin? If i read the charts correctly should be 35k since turkey is considered middle-east and not europe.
Old Nov 20, 18, 5:00 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
You should also carefully check the exact fare class of the ticket that you to hope to upgrade with miles to ensure the fare class is, in fact, eligible for such upgrades.
Old Nov 23, 18, 3:57 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by MixalisK. View Post
Can anyone tell me the miles needed to upgrade from ist to sin? If i read the charts correctly should be 35k since turkey is considered middle-east and not europe.
This should be displayed as part of the initial search results when you choose your tickets (the price bracket, flexi vs saver etc.), with the exact miles required displayed when you click on the icon in the relevant row of the information table.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: