SFO - SIN Report

Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
SFO - SIN Report

My wife and I flew SFO - SIN, arriving a few hours ago. We flew via HKG, as the thought of 18 hours in a plane just didn’t cut it for us. This was an award flight, but since SQ1 didn’t have 2 J saver seats available when we booked, we had an extra hour layover in HKG and took SQ857.

SFO - HKG was on the 777-300ER. Check-in at SFO was a breeze. Since SQ has Pre-Check, we zipped through security. Lounge access was at the United Polaris Lounge and I was pleasantly surprised. Food selection was good at the sit-down restaurant (we each had cioppino) and seating was plentiful. It’s certainly a great upgrade from the farce that was the old United Lounge at SFO.

Boarding was smooth. We were in 15 and 16A, window seats one behind the other. No amenity kit, but there were slippers, socks and an eye mask. The seats were nice and wide, although I did find the arrangement for sleeping to be a little odd. I felt like I was sleeping diagonally across the seat. It didn’t seem to effect me, as I got about 7.5 hours of pretty deep sleep on SQ1. Food was a little disappointing. I had crab cakes and my wife had curry prawns. She did not like hers at all and my cakes might have been introduced to the crab, but it didn’t stay long enough to give up any of its meat as it seemed to be mostly breading. The smoked salmon with the salad, on the other hand was great. I’m not sure what the wine was, but. It was a Cabernet and very tasty. Book the Cook for the breakfast meal was pretty grim, so we decided for pot luck onboard. We both opted for dim sum and it was pretty good, certainly better than cottage cheese and toast. Service was attentive, but not intrusive.

SQ857 was on an older 777-200ER. I had hoped that with SQ in the process of replacing these aircraft with the 787-10’s, we might get lucky, but it was not to be. The plane actually seemed a little cleaner than SQ1, but that could be my imagination. J class on this plane is 2-2-2. It does have lie flat seats, but it would be hard to really use that feature on a longer flight as the window passenger would have to crawl over the aisle passenger. But as a regional J seat, it was quite comfortable. The food served was much better. I had a Korean beef dish that was quite nice and my wife enjoyed her bass. Because the fligh5 is only a little over three hours (not including a really long wait on the runway at HKG), the service seemed efficient, but rushed.

While we’ve flown SQ in the past, this was our first in J and it was very nice. We’ll be making the return trip in about a month. We’ll have a six night stopover in HKG, and the SIN - HKG leg will be on a 759, so it will be inter3sting to see the differences.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:24 am

Thanks. I wonder if SQ1/2 will receive similar service as SQ 33/34.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Troopers
Thanks. I wonder if SQ1/2 will receive similar service as SQ 33/34.
I think it would be similar. It departs about five hours earlier, so dinner and breakfast should be served.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve

I think it would be similar. It departs about five hours earlier, so dinner and breakfast should be served.
I meant if the Canyon Ranch food, amenities, etc will be offered.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:55 am

The breakfast BTC chicken congee from HKG-SIN is one of the best flight meals I’ve ever had. Truly awesome!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.