Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Silverkris Lounge serving mediorce Asti Spumante as champagne

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

I recently visited the SQ Silverkris Lounge at TPE and was rather shocked that the "champagne" they offered was a mediocre <$10/bottle Asti Spumante.

The one red and one white wine on offer were equally cheap.

Liquor selection was your typical standard fare (Absolut Vodka, Bacardi White etc.), but rather limited (e.g. no gin).

I was honestly surprised at how mediocre the drinks selection was.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
In my fairly extensive experience, most Asian airport lounges do not offer much in the way of wine selections; this report is not at all surprising.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Unless relying on access at TPE via VA or VS status, there's always the EVA lounges to access as an alternative. Not sure what types of wine and sparkling wine they serve.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
OP knows how much time I spend in the SKL in TPE. The seats are comfy enough for an hour. The hot food often has some interesting options, but yes, the drink (even non-alcoholic) options are awful. Same with desserts or breads. And those little cups of water where one has to stab to cover with the straw is silly - although perhaps cheaper than small bottles.

It seems the SKL in TPE is only open and there primarily to serve SQ pax, but AC pax and a few others go there as they often find no seats available in the BR Infinity lounge.

The poor quality of drinks reminds me of the TG lounge at HKG.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I recently visited the SQ Silverkris Lounge at TPE and was rather shocked that the "champagne" they offered was a mediocre <$10/bottle Asti Spumante.

The one red and one white wine on offer were equally cheap.

Liquor selection was your typical standard fare (Absolut Vodka, Bacardi White etc.), but rather limited (e.g. no gin).

I was honestly surprised at how mediocre the drinks selection was.

This really doesn't surprise or "shock" me at all. SQ is well known for segmenting it's frequent/premium travellers. For example you might get gold on its own program KrisFlyer but you won't be allowed into the SilverKris lounge in Singapore if you aren't travelling premium. Gold Star Alliance members are directed to the poorer cousin - Krisflyer Gold lounge.
Your observation just reinforces this. The SilverKris lounge in TPE can be accessed by all Star Alliance gold members, hence why they provide only the cheap stuff.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
The SilverKris lounge in TPE can be accessed by all Star Alliance gold members, hence why they provide only the cheap stuff.
Other outstation SKLs with the same access rules are happy to serve Champagne so I don't think it's that.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Your observation just reinforces this. The SilverKris lounge in TPE can be accessed by all Star Alliance gold members, hence why they provide only the cheap stuff.
This is also the designated lounge for J/PPS pax, who are subjected to the same mediocrity as *G travellers.

As stargold mentioned, I highly doubt this is the reason.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:02 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Technically, Asti Spumante isn't even a Champagne. But I wouldn't be surprised for (non-Hub or flagship) lounges not to stock Champagne in the first place, as many airlines don't do that.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Nasti-Spumante isn't remotely champagne. I'll be flying business class UA from SIN in the near future. Can somebody tell me what champagne they currently serve in the SilverKris SIN lounge? (please let it be real champagne)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
SKL in T2&3 was Charles Heidsick a few days ago out in the open bar area. same as inflight in J.

Asti is crap, but there can be very decent sparkling wines if one cares to chose more carefully.

However, even the inflight J class wines are exemplary of mediocrity over the last years and are getting cheaper and cheaper. A few nice ones every now and then, but largely underwhelming even on medium & long haul. YMMV.
GalaxyChris and kevinoh like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks Demue. Non vintage Charles Heidsieck is excellent. No complaints at all with that. Hopefully it's offered even in the morning hours.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
In SIN you have to request it from staff (if you can find someone) because they stopped stocking it in the self service area a couple of years ago
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YVR guy
.....I'll be flying business class UA from SIN in the near future. Can somebody tell me what champagne they currently serve in the SilverKris SIN lounge? (please let it be real champagne)
Originally Posted by demue
SKL in T2&3 was Charles Heidsick a few days ago out in the open bar area. same as inflight in J.........
Yup

@YVR guy

From one of my recent visits in T3

Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by onlySIA
In SIN you have to request it from staff (if you can find someone) because they stopped stocking it in the self service area a couple of years ago
Not so at all: every time I have been in a SIN SKL recently (eg last Friday) the champagne has been sitting out in the open along with the other wines.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
+1 as I reported. Of late the champagne has been out in to open. No need to ask any longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.