Phantom award seats?

Old Oct 24, 18, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Phantom award seats?

I saw an award seat online that I was interested in grabbing, but before transferring all my points, I decided to call to verify the availability. When I called they said they had nothing available for that itinerary. Luckily I hadn't transferred my points yet.

Does SQ have award flights on their website that aren't actually available or should I just HUCA?
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I would HUCA as I've had a phone agent tell me the same thing - I saw availability online but the agent said she could not see it - I couldn't book online as this flight was only one sector of a *A itinerary. When I insisted that there was availability - she double checked and sure enough it was there.
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pschafer View Post
I would HUCA as I've had a phone agent tell me the same thing - I saw availability online but the agent said she could not see it - I couldn't book online as this flight was only one sector of a *A itinerary. When I insisted that there was availability - she double checked and sure enough it was there.
Thanks for the tip man! I had to be extra persistent when I called back. She kept telling me she didn't have anything and I kept telling her i'm looking at it on the website and explained that I won't transfer points until I know that it is bookable. She puts me on hold and then comes back and says I can reserve a business class seat it until November 23 and book as long as points come in before then.

Whew. Nobody ever said the points game was easy.
Old Oct 25, 18, 5:49 am

The KrisFlyer call centre is NOTORIOUS for this. It is RARELY an easy process. The most common excuse I get is that the redemption availability online is different to that of the call centre or that a redemption from Australia to Europe must be done as two separate redemptions (instead of one married one, as per the KrisFlyer chart which I always seem to have to remind them of). What a load of rubbish haha. Even last night, I called up to make a redemption upgrade. The flights were available as redemption online. After purchasing P class tickets online and proceeding to make the upgrade, sure enough, there was a website error (as is more often that not) and phoning the call centre, I was told there were no redemption seats available, followed by "hold", followed by, I can waitlist you, followed by another "hold", followed by, they are available but you must do two separate upgrades, followed by "hold", followed by (with no apology) miraculously everything is available as I had originally said, but you must pay a $50 call centre fee as you can do this online (back to square one!), all due to a website error and incompetent call centre staff. After 40 minutes on the phone (mostly on hold), the redemption upgrade was done, in one transaction, as normal, without the extra call centre fee. But it is just so frustrating, as something like this happens every single time! Now, let's see how long it will take them to email the redemption certificate...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: