Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 675,000 miles worth the suites?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Is 675,000 miles worth the suites?!!?

Ok for those that have flew on the Singapore quotes, particularly the SIN—JFK route, is it ‘worth it to splurge 675k miles to fly one way (3 seats)?!? That would deplete 90% of my current pts (Chase, Amex & Citi). I could try the Saver waitlist but that’s no guarantee & since we are traveling with an infant, last minute planning/booking is unlikely. There’s opening at the Advantage (regular) about 10-11 months out. This is likely the only way to be sure of securing the 3 seats. We normally just pursue business class but the idea of flying 1st class once is tempting! What would you do? Or is there another 1st class/suites you would recommend (preferably for a route that’s at least 13-14 hours in flight duration so to fully enjoy it). Thanks for your input!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by TravelBum23
Ok for those that have flew on the Singapore quotes, particularly the SIN—JFK route, is it ‘worth it to splurge 675k miles to fly one way (3 seats)?!? That would deplete 90% of my current pts (Chase, Amex & Citi). I could try the Saver waitlist but that’s no guarantee & since we are traveling with an infant, last minute planning/booking is unlikely. There’s opening at the Advantage (regular) about 10-11 months out. This is likely the only way to be sure of securing the 3 seats. We normally just pursue business class but the idea of flying 1st class once is tempting! What would you do? Or is there another 1st class/suites you would recommend (preferably for a route that’s at least 13-14 hours in flight duration so to fully enjoy it). Thanks for your input!
if your child is an infant (less than 2 years old) at time of travel, go for the 2 adult seats and then call up and add your baby onto same ticket with a paid fare. You only have to pay 10% of cost of ticket which is probably less value than the points.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Flown Suites 4 times. Personally not a huge fan. With that said If you have never done it 50-50 on trying it. You could fly Suites to FRA then use rest of the miles to fly LH F to anywhere in USA. Try two products.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mlee888

if your child is an infant (less than 2 years old) at time of travel, go for the 2 adult seats and then call up and add your baby onto same ticket with a paid fare. You only have to pay 10% of cost of ticket which is probably less value than the points.
thanks Mlee888, but won’t be lap as child will be two. Thx for the input!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mach92
Flown Suites 4 times. Personally not a huge fan. With that said If you have never done it 50-50 on trying it. You could fly Suites to FRA then use rest of the miles to fly LH F to anywhere in USA. Try two products.
thanks mach92, that’s a great idea! But how’s LH’s availability in F on awards redemption though (need 3 seats). And what’s reason you’re not a fan of Singapore suites (but you still flown it 4x?!)?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
For what its worth I had no issue booking a Saver rate suite on that route about a month ago the day it became available. Try not booking 3 at a time and you can at least save miles on 1 when its released.

The SIN-hkg-SFO in first route is a great flight too, its not suites, but its still really nice and I may prefer first on the 77w to the old suites
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Have you looked at availability of saver awards? You might get one or two seats and what you can’t get using saver as advantage awards. Would have to call to link the bookings.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks both for the great ideas! Will look into that as another alternative!!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
If you are searching for 3 award seats, have you tried searching for 2 savers? then 1 saver? You might luck in and nab 1 or 2 saver awards, then pay the remaining seat/s at the standard rate.

And is long haul SQ first class worth it? Always, no matter how many times one has flown them previously.
JaysonW likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanslegal
If you are searching for 3 award seats, have you tried searching for 2 savers? then 1 saver? You might luck in and nab 1 or 2 saver awards, then pay the remaining seat/s at the standard rate.

And is long haul SQ first class worth it? Always, no matter how many times one has flown them previously.
Thanks alanslegal! Thx for the tips—will def do that! Thx for the confirmation it’s worth it! Now my only concern is, if I find and book 1 or 2 at saver but not the 3rd in standard, will I be able to cancel the saver seats and have all pts refunded?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG

Thanks alanslegal! Thx for the tips—will def do that! Thx for the confirmation it’s worth it! Now my only concern is, if I find and book 1 or 2 at saver but not the 3rd in standard, will I be able to cancel the saver seats and have all pts refunded?
You can cancel for $75 USD per passenger. The other option is to call and book - they may charge a $25USD fee per pax, but as you can’t make the combined booking online they may waive it if asked.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
If its the new F maybe Have done SQ F A380 old Suites and these are crap! Empty F cabins and SQ crew sleeping in the" double beds " LX F and SQ F and EY F are >>>>>>>> old SQ F Havent flown new SQ F but if you want that crappy Private Room at SIN go for it!!!!!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:21 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cbourl
If its the new F maybe Have done SQ F A380 old Suites and these are crap! Empty F cabins and SQ crew sleeping in the" double beds " LX F and SQ F and EY F are >>>>>>>> old SQ F Havent flown new SQ F but if you want that crappy Private Room at SIN go for it!!!!!
You are very fussy indeed but I know where you are coming from - there are some much newer and nicer F on-board products out there.

That said, the old SQ A380 F is now over a decade old so the 'gimmick/fun' has worn out especially when there are oversized suites and showers and more, on other airlines in today's world.

The OP hasn't travelled F before so I think his family would find it pretty amazing irrespective of what regular F passengers think
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
[QUOTE=alanslegal;30306847]You are very fussy indeed but I know where you are coming from - there are some much newer and nicer F on-board products out there.

That said, the old SQ A380 F is now over a decade old so the 'gimmick/fun' has worn out especially when there are oversized suites and showers and more, on other airlines in today's world.
Sure but its an awful lot of points! Why not try TG or LH F and experience a wonderful F on ground and onboard
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=cbourl;30307004]
Originally Posted by alanslegal
You are very fussy indeed but I know where you are coming from - there are some much newer and nicer F on-board products out there.

Sure but its an awful lot of points! Why not try TG or LH F and experience a wonderful F on ground and onboard
@cbourl & alanslegal - you both have very good pts!! I’ve never flown F so even at a decade old, I’m pretty sure we will enjoy it (we loved BR J so I can image we’ll also love SQ F)! And yes it’s a lot of pts, thus I asked for all your expert insight. I didn’t know TG has a highly rated F? Does both their J & F considered top premium products? Excuse my ignorance, I only started the points and miles late 2016 when the CSR came out and have only flown BR J (SQ short haul) as premium cabins are concerned. We are looking to fly to South Asia again next year (from JFK). Of course we would love to try some of the top products, but as we are traveling as 3, awards availablity is also a concern. Many thanks again for your feed backs!

Last edited by TravelBum23; Oct 12, 2018 at 11:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.