Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bruininabag
How active/loud is the front galley in J?

Trying to choose between row 12 and 15 in the front section.
Flew it last week on seat 15. Definitely too close to the galley and they make loud noise the whole flight. Could still hear them while trying to sleep, even with my earphones and noice-cancelling headphones.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Honduirish
Flew it last week on seat 15. Definitely too close to the galley and they make loud noise the whole flight. Could still hear them while trying to sleep, even with my earphones and noice-cancelling headphones.
Noise from the front galley or the galley after the first section?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:06 pm

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on preference/comfort of taking SQ21/22 v. SQ25/26. Obviously, JFK v. EWR (non-issue for me), however, would you say one is more bang for buck or better product? I'm torn and thinking of booking this for March. Perhaps best bet is to do via FRA there and nonstop back. Any feedback or opinions appreciated.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pafnyc
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on preference/comfort of taking SQ21/22 v. SQ25/26. Obviously, JFK v. EWR (non-issue for me), however, would you say one is more bang for buck or better product? I'm torn and thinking of booking this for March. Perhaps best bet is to do via FRA there and nonstop back. Any feedback or opinions appreciated.
What class of travel are you interested in? Suites are only on the A380s if that matters
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:07 pm

Heard from a colleague that flew SIN-EWR who loved the direct route. Me, I actually prefer the stop over. get out. stretch my legs on terra firma for a bit.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by w4rd
What class of travel are you interested in? Suites are only on the A380s if that matters
Good question and apologies for not including: premium economy
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:32 pm

I just flew SIN-EWR in J (20A) and had the following observations:

(1) Select a bulkhead seat if you can. The position of my footrest is awkward and not very comfortable.

(2) 2nd reason to select bulkhead seats: the monitor of mine is way too close. I didn't feel comfortable watching the IFE on such a close screen and yet you have 18 hrs to kill ...

(3) Definitely go Book-the-Cook. I found the inflight menu a let-down in terms of selections. Also the menu itself is quite confusing.

(4) Regarding the second meal time, it is synchronized towards GMT+8: a late-night snack and breakfast/brunch. I don't find it to be too problematic to be honest, and I actually wanted to have the second meal sooner so I could have 8 hours of sleep (mimicking the EST).

(5) Crew are really hardworking and I appreciate their professionalism.

(6) A350 is really a respectable piece of machinery. The engine noise control is superb, about 5 dB quieter than 787.
lc412000 likes this.

Last edited by yuzheny; Oct 31, 2018 at 8:50 pm Reason: Clarify my seating
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, M&M FQT
I was on SQ22 early this week, small business cabin middle row. Here are my thoughts:
  • Aircraft: the new A350-900 (ULR) is a true masterpiece, for me the best aircraft out there at the moment
  • Cabin: Feeling in the cabin itself is quite spacious because of the lack of the overhead compartments in the middle row. However, the cabin leaves the impression of being quite packed because the seats are really massive.
  • Seat: I loved it! I read a lot about the seat and was a bit worried because of the narrow and awkward positioned footrest. However, it has never been a problem in the whole 17 hours and 45 minutes. Why?
    • the seat itself is extremely spacious, especially in width. I have never experienced a business class seat that wide. In terms of width, I'd say the seat is truly first class!
    • The seat itself is not too hard and not too soft, for me exactly right. It may seem odd that there are not so many setting options (bed position only manually), but the lounge position of the seat for example is really comfortable and and gave several options where to put my feet.
    • the seat is like a cocoon. It gives you an enourmes private feel for an open cabin design. The other positive effect is that you can also lean your back on the sides. There are three really comfortable pillows which help you ;-)
    • because of storage space: everything can be stowed away within easy reach. Loved the mirror, helped a lot to use my eye drops :-)
    • because of the bed and bedding: I may exxagerate, but it felt like heaven. Ok, I have to admit, I was really tired because of a few long days before the trip. However, the bed is really comfortable, the thin but sufficiently thick mattress compensates all seat gaps (which can quite annoy me on other business seats). I usually sleep on the side but also move around. The footrest never felt awkward, I slept for 7 hours without waking up. One of the best things: because of the width of the seat, or in this case the seat walls, there is sufficient space for your elbows and turning.
  • Food: I booked the cook for two meals, had the lobster thermidor and the ribeye steak. I would not do that anymore for a simple reason: the first service after takeoff is the fast one where you get your meal on a tray without all the meal setup. This makes a book the cook dish a completely different experience. My lobster and the sides did barely fit into the "bowl", which made it quite hard to eat. My friends travelling with me had the lobster for the second meal service and it came perfectly arranged on a plate. Taste wise it was the same, but as mentioned before, the dining experience is completely different. Next time I would choose from the inflight menu for the first meal service and book the cook for the second.
    • Taste: The lobster was great, the steak was good. I would choose the lobster again.
    • Wine: for me the biggest disappointment. I love to accompany good food with good wine. However, there was not a lot of choice and quality was just ok, whereas the whites were better than the reds. Maybe I'm spoiled from Qatar Airways, where choice and qualitiy is way better (IMO).
  • Service: just wow! Big thanks to SQ, this was just perfect. For me the same attentiveness as on Qatar Airways, but even more professional with some more attention to detail.
All in all the flight was just fantastic. All negative aspects are really just first world problems. Enjoy the flight, it's really special :-)
knit-in and lc412000 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Directable air jets?

Does this A350 ULR aircraft contain directable air jets above the seats for passenger comfort?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
Does this A350 ULR aircraft contain directable air jets above the seats for passenger comfort?
nope
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn
10A is nice but on my flights was blocked off for use by cabin crew as an alternative to their bunks. 11A and 11K have that capacious extra legroom.
thank you
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
wow, lots of great information cant wait to fly this in Jan! I am sure all the bugs will be worked out.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Was in 16A recently SIN-EWR
* couldn't hear the lav (closet between me and lav)
* couldn't hear crew talking during the night
* could hear beverage cart go past me (since I'm closest to galley) but no drama with earplugs

what I tried to do with sleep patterns ... we will see if it works!
- hr 1-3: eat
- hr 3-7.5: sleep (wanted longer, that's all I got)
- hr 7.5-11: work
- hr 11-12: eat
- hr 12-17: sleep
- hr 17-18: arrive.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:39 am

Just got off of SQ22 today and I have to say that flying for 17.5 hrs in J it wasn't that bad, I've had experience with a couple of 14+ hr journeys in Y (YYZ-PVG & EWR-HKG) and this was a breeze compared to those flights. I was travelling for leisure so I didn't have to go to a meeting in the NYC area right afterwards.

Seat: 23K

Positives:
  • The crew on my flight were great and shouldn't even be compared to US airlines. They were really quiet and allowed minimal light to shine in the cabin outside of meal times.
  • The TV in J is great I found it to be bright and sharp.
  • The IFE software is very responsive.
  • The A350 is quiet. I flew a A330-300 from AMD to SIN in the first row and found it to be much louder versus being over the wing of the A350.
Mediocre:
  • Only one window for my seat that was hard to see out of. The passenger would have to crane their neck forward to gain a good field of view.
  • The infamous cubbie hold for your feet. I mainly fly in Y and sleep on my side so it did not bother me much but I would prefer a larger opening for my feet.
  • The noise cancelling headphones aren't spectacular.
Bad:
  • The bed is hard, even with the mattress pad. I found the bed to be beyond firm. I was able to sleep for 7hrs in two different stints but found the chair to more comfortable than the bed.
  • Switching from chair to a bed isn't intuitive and I had to get a FA to assist me with it.
  • I thought there would be more storage space maybe I have too many things but I found the storage space that is usable throughout the flight to be lacking.
  • The IFE UX sometimes can be counter intuitive at times (nitpick).

Etc:
  • Pick the forward J cabin if you don't want the premium economy passengers to walk through during boarding
  • The second meal service is at a weird time if you're trying to adjust to EDT/EST. I'd rather that it either take place earlier 8hrs before landing so you can get "full nights" sleep before arriving at EWR or the alternative is to do it closer to arrival.
  • No bathroom at the gate in SIN just a FYI, I was surprised to learn that since SQ 22 was my first flight out of SIN.
  • Security is at the gate so don't bring a bunch of drinks from the lounge to the gate.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
10A is nice but on my flights was blocked off for use by cabin crew as an alternative to their bunks. 11A and 11K have that capacious extra legroom.
Double checking on this...11A has the extra legroom even though there's 10A in front of it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.