Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well it really doesn't fly "across" either the Atlantic or the Pacific. It goes way north and then down. Whether it goes east or west of the north pole is I believe a function of the prevailing winds.
Exactly.

The route is almost identical to my regular YYZ-HKG. I have a nice collection of items from various AC pilots, who were more than happy to share the details of my flights. 87 N is typical, and I know the route by heart now. The exciting part is looking at the IFE, looking out the window, getting photos of both and then notes/ images from the FD guys on our routings. Oddly, my personal favourite part is crossing Lake Baikal. Gorgeous scenery, especially in winter. Such an .#avgeek
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Consistent with recent TPG commentary, I felt it didn't even merit the title "review." There was literally no discussion of seat comfort. But we heard all about how SQ employees at SIN recognized him as a TPG writer and gave him special treatment. And of course 500 words flogging various credit cards.
I actually enjoyed this review a bit more. Less formal a lot more photos, more info IMHO and a more relaxed style.

https://airwaysmag.com/special-fligh...pore-airlines/

Of course, as you point out, a collection of "others receiving special treatment" were all onboard, so I also await reviews from the non-glitterati
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by davidlhanson
My wife has back problems so she can't lie flat. In the regular seat mode of the Singapore Air business class seat, could she get her feet up to a horizontal position and recline the back of the seat to about 45 degrees? This is her preferred way to sleep.
The 2013 J seats don’t recline that much before requiring the bed to be flipped open. I think it stops short of 45 degrees. You’ll have to sit at a rather awkward angle once you recline it a bit more, unless you’re at a bulkhead row.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
I had an opportunity to join the inaugural SQ22 in PEY and these were some of my thoughts:

1. There would be no way I would recommend doing a flight of this length in anything less than PEY. The extra legroom and recline was welcome, although no replacement for a lie flat. Hard product is very similar to their current A350 seats - I used the blanket as an extra cushion and found that to work well for most of the flight. The single seats with the storage units seemed like the best in the cabin.

2. Meal service was good and well paced for someone based on Singapore time (seems like Quest didn’t agree). I had the cauliflower steak for my first meal which was delicious. Perhaps I don’t fly PEY enough, but surprised that food was still served in plastic instead of higher quality reusable items (like porcelain).

3. Flight attendants were always available to help with any requests. I saw some hanging jackets for PEY passengers. Call bells were answered promptly. Water services at least every hour.

4. Entertainment system was great. Awesome screen, and even more content than normal for SQ.

5. WiFi was spotty. Sounds like bandwidth may have been limited at the beginning of the flight with the number of users, and having a “dead zone” of 4 hours was pretty inconvenient if you are trying to work.

Personal note: I now work in Singapore and my family live on the East Coast. The convenience of taking a single flight and then connecting to Amtrak will hands down win my business on every flyback trip to the US.

If I knew there was no chance to upgrade, I’d probably fly economy with a stop in Japan to break up the flights. If flying PEY and the price differential isn’t too bad, I’d definitely recommend this flight. I know in Singapore they’ve been running a promotion for S$1428 travel in PEY (about US$1000). At that price, I booked myself another ticket home to see family for the holidays.

Good luck and safe travels to other fellow flyers embarking on this journey!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
I had an opportunity to join the inaugural SQ22 in PEY and these were some of my thoughts:
......Good luck and safe travels to other fellow flyers embarking on this journey!
@Oshkosh105
Thanks for your observations based on your personal experiences.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:38 pm

This might have been the reason why the final meal was served much earlier.

When I snap out of it, it’s to go on another toilet break. While there, I see the cabin crew having a briefing in the aft galley and I catch the words “early meal service” and “bad weather”.

Later I find out they’re shifting the breakfast service forward in case the flight gets hit by turbulence from Hurricane Michael. I can’t decide if I’m excited to eat again or worried about Mike

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-airlines-world-longest-flight-diary-sq22-new-york-10822520
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Are the beds in J uncomfortable like they are on the 77Ws, specifically with the firmness? Seems like they use a thicker mattress topper on these flights?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
I am on SQ38 in november and am looking for recommendations. I am 6'4" and also have CX tickets in business with a stop in HKG. Which one would be recommended for my size and overall experience? I need to cancel one ticket.
Thanks, tim
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by yztim
I am on SQ38 in november and am looking for recommendations. I am 6'4" and also have CX tickets in business with a stop in HKG. Which one would be recommended for my size and overall experience? I need to cancel one ticket.
Thanks, tim
Just my two cents is neither...? I'd break in ICN/TYO with SQ/KE/JL/NH making for much more comfortable sector lengths. If the CX product is getting stale, CI/BR would be an eye opener.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by yztim
Thanks, tim
In the last 1-2 years, I have flown SQ nonstop SIN-SFO as well as SIN-LAX and SIN-SFO nonstop on UA. Comparing those flights with one-stop, I would much prefer non-stop over one-stop, mainly because I would avoid the transit stop, with the hassle of deplaning, going through security and boarding again, even if the transit stop is a modern, comfortable airport like HKG, ICN or NRT. I did these flights in either premium economy or economy, so for business class, the long sectors sectors would be even more comfortable. I see nonstops from SIN to the West Coast of the USA to be the new normal for long haul. No reason to break the journey mid-way to "stretch your legs" since you can get up and walk around the cabin any time you want on the non-stop. These flights are only 2-3 hours longer than SIN-LHR. The SIN-LAX non-stop is a no-brainer in my book if you are flying in Business Class.

The only caveat I would have is the specific A350 Business Class seat that SQ uses, which is fully flat, but which is, I believe, optimised for flyers who are of a smaller build than 6' 4", and is more suitable for side sleepers. Some pictures of the Business Class seat here, from the SQ22 SIN-EWR inaugural, which uses the same equipment as the upcoming SQ38 SIN-LAX.

For reference, trip reports for these trips are here: SIN-SFO on SQ PEY, SIN-LAX on UA Y, SIN-SFO on UA Y. (Hyperlinks are to an external SQTalk site.)
lokijuh and kaffir76 like this.

Last edited by sqyf; Oct 19, 2018 at 12:26 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by sqyf
In th specific A350 Business Class seat that SQ uses, which is fully flat, but which is, I believe, optimised for flyers who are of a smaller build than 6' 4", and is more suitable for side sleepers.
I haven't experienced A350 seat yet, but I also heard that for side sleepers which seats are best depends on which side you sleep on .. which echoes my experience on some other carriers, on some seats my knees come against a hard surface which makes it extremely uncomfortable, whilst in other seats, the knees face into open space .... much much better.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by sqyf
No reason to break the journey mid-way to "stretch your legs" since you can get up and walk around the cabin any time you want on the non-stop.
Roaming around the cabin isn't quite the same as walking around an airport terminal. With no lounge or bar you can't walk very far before getting in the way of the crew/other passengers. The noise and dry air certainly doesn't help the fact that you're confined in a metal tube.

An 18-19 hour nonstop might be useful to many, but it's not for everyone. I know people who crave a cigarette after hours of flying
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Roaming around the cabin isn't quite the same as walking around an airport terminal. With no lounge or bar you can't walk very far before getting in the way of the crew/other passengers. The noise and dry air certainly doesn't help the fact that you're confined in a metal tube.

An 18-19 hour nonstop might be useful to many, but it's not for everyone. I know people who crave a cigarette after hours of flying
Fair point about an on-ground cigarette break.

As the original question was around SQ38 SIN-LAX, I was referring mainly to nonstops to West Coast USA, rather than East Coast USA. For example recent UA2 SIN-SFO nonstop flights have been a very quick 14 hours to 14 hours 30 min. The return UA1 SFO-SIN nonstops have been averaging 16 hours. That isn't too different from a 13 hour sector like SIN-LHR or an SFO-HKG 14 hour sector.

For SIN to EWR or other East Coast USA destinations, which are 18 hour sectors, I haven't flown this sector enough times to form a definite opinion, but I would tend to agree with you that this is a very long time to spend on a plane, and some folks might prefer a stop.

Last edited by sqyf; Oct 18, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:02 am

What happened to the A350 ??

On Flightaware I found that the last two days they flew an A340.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...455Z/KEWR/WSSS

What happened to the A350-900 ULR ?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by airsurfer
On Flightaware I found that the last two days they flew an A340.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...455Z/KEWR/WSSS

What happened to the A350-900 ULR ?
Flighaware must be wrong. Singapore Airlines doesn't have any A340-500 aircraft. According to Wikipedia there are only three A340-500 aircraft still be used by any airlines as of July 2018.. One by Hi Flyer (a charter service), and 2 by Azerbaijan Airlines.
Flighttrader24 has all SQ21 flights in October 2018 using the A350-900.

Last edited by davidlhanson; Oct 21, 2018 at 2:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.