Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Double checking on this...11A has the extra legroom even though there's 10A in front of it?
11A doesn't have the extra leg room. The extra legroom seats are:
  • 10A
  • 11D/F/K
  • 19A/D/F/K
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Honduirish
Flew it last week on seat 15. Definitely too close to the galley and they make loud noise the whole flight. Could still hear them while trying to sleep, even with my earphones and noice-cancelling headphones.
15 is too close? There are rows 16 and 17 before the galley, according to the seat map. They must be really slamming those oven doors.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by rotatev2
11A doesn't have the extra leg room. The extra legroom seats are:
  • 10A
  • 11D/F/K
  • 19A/D/F/K
Thanks, that was my understanding as well.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by knit-in
15 is too close? There are rows 16 and 17 before the galley, according to the seat map. They must be really slamming those oven doors.
Think it depends on the crew. From 16A couldn't hear anything except the bar cart
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by shuuy
Think it depends on the crew. From 16A couldn't hear anything except the bar cart
reality 90% of the SQ crews are very considerate in reduction of noise on night flights.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:56 am

SQ22 - 25 October 2018

I flew SQ 22 on 25th October and thought it was an excellent flight. At 17 hours 41 minutes (according to FlightRadar24), it did not feel that much longer than a SIN-LHR which is around 13 / 14 hours.

Cabin impressions:

Seat:

Frequent SQ flyers will be well-acquainted with the seat. I did have the option of picking a bulkhead row but I wanted to a more common experience so picked 23K on this sector.

For me, this is the best Business Class seat due to the spaciousness (width), the various compartments available to be used and also the power outlets / USB ports (although the latter is more common across various airlines' J seats now).

Bed:

The bed is comfortable and I don't have the same complaints of firmness that more famous bloggers seem to have as a negative issue when it comes to these seats. The mattress made the bed slightly more softer than without which probably would be welcome by other passengers. At 172cm, I could lay flat on my back in a straight position or sleep on my side (I alternate between the two) without problems.

In terms of sleep, after take off the first meal is served and then I slept for about 7 - 8 hours. The second meal was served around the time I awoke and then I went back to sleep for another 2 hours before requesting a breakfast item to sleep.

I thought the meal times worked and it seemed most people awoke for the second meal and then ordered items at various times about 1 - 3 hours prior to landing taking advantage of the dine-on-demand concept.

Boarding / Post-Take Off:

I opted for a Canyon Ranch drink before takeoff and some Charles Heidsieck / TWG tea after take off.

The pick-your-own amenity kit came after take off and this seems like a good way of offering amenities without being too wasteful. You also get a leather Singapore Airlines-embossed pouch.

First meal:

I opted for the "Steamed Lobster Dumplings in Superior Soup - with Chinese greens and flower mushrooms".

Other options included: (i) "Pan Seared Lion Head Snapper Fillet with Red Wine Vinaigrette - grilled mushroom, carrots, bacon and garlic-chive mashed potato; (ii) "Beef Hor Fun - Chinese style wok-fried rice noodles with beef and gravy"; or (iii) "Croque Monsieur - warm smoked ham with Gruyere cheese sandwich and fine mesclun".

Second meal:

The second meal is more elaborate starting with the satay. I picked the Canyon Ranch main course which meant it came with an associated Canyon Ranch appetiser and dessert (not listed in the menu)

Canap: "Singapore Chicken and Beef Satay - with onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce."

Appetiser: Prawns, diced cucumber, orange and other things. The non-Canyon Ranch appetiser was: "Salad of Crab - with witlof, frisee and mache".

Main Course: "Citrus Braised Pork Shoulder - White bean cassoulet, spinach and parsley Marcona gremolata" (Canyon Ranch).

Other options were: (i) "Beef Cheek in Red Wine Sauce - with fingerling potatoes, Portobello mushrooms, sauted vegetables and salsa verde"; (ii) "Famous Singapore Chicken Rice - a renowned local favourite, fragrant poached chicken with pandan flavoured rice, grated ginger, soya and chilli sauce"; (iii) "Braised Egg Noodles with Seafood - Leafy greens, mushroom and Oriental sauce"; (iv) "Parsley Cheese Omelette - With chicken sausage, tomato, sauted mushrooms and gratin potatoes"; and (v) "Selection of Dim Sum - Steamed fun quin with char siew, spare ribs with black bean, har kow and pork siew mai".

The pork shoulder was well-cooked and it was a nice, light meal which was needed. I usually go for a beef dish with carbs so this was a nice change.

Dessert: A lemon tart with cream on top (Canyon Ranch).

Other options were: (i) "Mango Cheesecake with Ginger Cookie Crumb - Sago coconut cream and mango coulis"; and (ii) "Petite Patisserie - Assortment of mini desserts and petite fours".

Cheese: "Selection of Cheese - Red Cheddar, Delice Des Bois and Cambazola served with fruits, nuts and crackers".

Drinks: For a limited time the Ch teau Rauzan-Sgla 2me Cru Class rouge 2006 was served which is normally a First Class / Suites red wine. It was delightful and robust.

Third meal:

I availed myself to some Ben & Jerry's ice cream mid flight and also decided to have the "Greek Yoghurt and Granola Parfait - garnished with homemade granola, fresh berries and coconut flakes" before landing.

Other "Light Bites & Snacks" included: (i) "A selection of bee hoon or egg noodles with choice of - (a) Fish balls and minced chicken, or (b) Black mushrooms and Chinese greens"; (ii) "Steamed Lobster Dumplings in Superior Soup - With Chinese greens and flower mushrooms"; (iii) "Tomato Soup"; (iv) "Mushroom Soup"; (v) "Foccacia with Oriental BBQ Pork and Roasted Vegetables"; (vi) "Panini with Grilled Mushroom and Vegetables, Gruyere Cheese and Sundried Tomato Pesto"; (vii) "Selection of Sliced Fresh Fruits"; (viii) "Selection of Cheese - Red Cheddar, Delice Des Bois and Cambazola served with fruits, nuts and crackers"; (ix) "Assorted Nuts - Roasted cashew nut and almond"; (x) "Chips - Barbeque flavour Cassava chips, cheese flavor potato chips and pretzel"; (xi) "Honey Mustard Flavored Popcorn"; (xii) "Trail Mix - Dried Mango, organic cashew and cacao nib cluster; and (xiii) "Cookies - Walkers cookies".

Crew:

There were probably around 6 / 7 crew in Business Class and they were really proactive and helpful in making beds for passengers. The meal services were conducted efficiently and they took time to address passengers by name and introduce the dishes / wines. A very friendly group.

Conclusion:

I wouldn't hesitate in doing the flight again (I would do the reverse 4 days later). Between the seat, meals and crew, it all seemed to work and the time saving to New York is substantial. Not sure how the Premium Economy passengers fared but hopefully they saw decent value out of the flight too.

Note to connecting passengers: all passengers have to retrieve their bags from the belt at EWR. You then have to go to the UA Ground Services desk around the corner so that they can note the details of your bag tag and load it onto the belt. An SQ representative should be able to assist. Avoid Air Canada if at all possible, especially if travelling with luggage.
kahuna1993 and lc412000 like this.

Last edited by Singapore_Air; Nov 11, 2018 at 1:05 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Which bulkhead row?

Currently I have row 19. (row 11 is still open) I'm wondering if row 11 might be better as there is only one bathroom on that end of the plane? And regarding noise and lights? Is that a factor as both of the bulkhead rows are by the galley?
Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by pkerr
... row 11 or 19 for bulkhead?
Row 11 for sure... but in EWR they only deplane out of door 2... so you wont be first off... but at that time of day you should come in before the ElAl flight into an empty customs hall
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by pkerr
Currently I have row 19. (row 11 is still open) I'm wondering if row 11 might be better as there is only one bathroom on that end of the plane? And regarding noise and lights? Is that a factor as both of the bulkhead rows are by the galley?
Thanks
I was in row 19 a few days ago, the noise did not bother me at all and I'm a light sleeper, didn't hear much at all actually.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:35 am

Seems they are having some difficulty with the PEY segment : https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1NJ0TN
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Seems they are having some difficulty with the PEY segment : https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1NJ0TN
I just flew SQ38 and SQ21 in J and I peeked into PEY on both flights and was surprised to see how empty it was, especially into of LAX.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I just flew SQ38 and SQ21 in J and I peeked into PEY on both flights and was surprised to see how empty it was, especially into of LAX.
there are 2 more SQ flight from SIN to LAX daily. So guess it might improve after the SIN-ICN-LAX flight is cancelled by end of this month.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
I just don't understand what management was thinking when deciding which business class seats were to be installed on the world's longest flights. For years now, they have been dealing with complaints about how hard the seat is and how bothersome it is to have to flip it. I just flew SQ 22 and, wow, never again.

The IFE is terrific and we can argue about the food, the odd serving times of the meals and the spotty WiFi. But, I am pretty sure that 99% of all passengers will want to try and sleep at some point. Good luck.

I feel confident predicting that this routing (along with the other ultra-haul flights they are operating) will see the same fate as their previous ones coz folks flying in business class just ain't gonna want to arrive in worse shape than when they started the journey. SQ, my long love affair with you has ended (which I write with great sadness).
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Where are the cheapest fares for J out of? I am seeing CAD $1,800 ex AMD (AMD-SIN-EWR) in late January. Anything better than that?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by YYC009
Where are the cheapest fares for J out of? I am seeing CAD $1,800 ex AMD (AMD-SIN-EWR) in late January. Anything better than that?
this is the lowest Ive found. They were running a promo a few weeks ago on the same routing but its gone I think SQ has figured out folks were grabbing this fare. Keep in mind they dont release a ton of D inventory on this route so get ready to be on the waitlist for a while. Ive found chasing the customer care center has helped.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.