Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Clarifying checked luggage - piece concept and max dimensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Looking for some clarification and reassurance - to avoid embarrassment and mistakes at LHR where I am flying out SQ economy. We have 100kg of weight allowance in our party (2x 35kg economy flexi tickets + 20kg *G extra for one + 10kg infant) and as I understand it that can be split into however many bags we wish? Are there any gotchas with this e.g. if we have 8 bags / boxes is that an issue (assuming total weight is less than 100kg). I'm used to flying hand luggage only or with one bag, so anything more seems excessive.

Also I see on the Singapore site "The sum of length, width and height of each checked baggage must not exceed 158cm (62 inches)." One package I want to take is 149 + 34 + 19 = 202cm so does not fit within those rules. Can I take the package if I sign a waiver and take to oversize drop off, or are they going to refuse at checkin (or try and charge me a packet)?

Simple questions but thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Looking for some clarification and reassurance - to avoid embarrassment and mistakes at LHR where I am flying out SQ economy. We have 100kg of weight allowance in our party (2x 35kg economy flexi tickets + 20kg *G extra for one + 10kg infant) and as I understand it that can be split into however many bags we wish? Are there any gotchas with this e.g. if we have 8 bags / boxes is that an issue (assuming total weight is less than 100kg). I'm used to flying hand luggage only or with one bag, so anything more seems excessive.

Also I see on the Singapore site "The sum of length, width and height of each checked baggage must not exceed 158cm (62 inches)." One package I want to take is 149 + 34 + 19 = 202cm so does not fit within those rules. Can I take the package if I sign a waiver and take to oversize drop off, or are they going to refuse at checkin (or try and charge me a packet)?

Assuming that your destination is Singapore (or any other non piece-concept destination), then yes you can check in as many pieces as you like, as long as you keep under the weight limit, which can be combined with all the passengers in your travelling party. For the second question, you are technically outside of the rules, so SQ is at liberty to ding you with excess baggage charges. Having said that, I have checked in bags that very obviously exceed this 158cm rule several times from SQ's European outstations over the past 10 years or so and have never once been asked to pay up. I'd just do it if I were you, but do not get overly upset if they decide to enforce the rule.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: KF EG
Originally Posted by ukflyer1

You will be under the weight concept, and the sum of length, width and height of each checked baggage must not exceed 158cm.
You can have multiple bags but the maximum weight of each bag is 32kg. So if you have a full 100kg, you need at least 4 bags

Regarding the oversized package, it can be checked in as non-standard (bulky) baggage.
In Changi airport, the limit is 200cm (length) x 75cm (width) x 80cm (height). (not sure about LHR) but you definitely cannot exceed 32kg for this package
If it does exceed 32kg, you will need to contact them for assistance
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Good to know number of bags not a problem, and will likely just try it with the "oversize".
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Just an update, no problem flying with seven pieces of luggage from LHR and the "oversize" also went fine.
fimo, w4rd and cowie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.