Lack of seating benefits for Gold Elite

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yauee
OP was given free seat selection , but not the one without status correct?
OP''s point is it's incredibly cheap of SQ not to allow a companion on the same reservation to also select an adjacent seat for free. I agree. Though sadly these sorts of charges are becoming more common throughout the industry.

Meanwhile, on UA, 1K benefits allow me to bring as many as 8 companions into Economy Plus. They don't even have to be on the same reservation.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
I'm KF*G. Seat select for any class is a benefit of being so.
SQ don't really care about KF members in case you hadn't realised it. KF was introduced when they joined *A in 2000, until then there was only the PPS club and that's the only place SQ have some interest in their passengers - premium fare users spending a lot of money in first and business class.

As an LPPS member (tier now long closed but fortunately I'm still alive!) even those benefits have been eroded over the years and the one thing you can be sure of is that you get nothing more than they state you get and it's no use pushing up against it as the answer is always no. That said as a PPS member you are well looked after but at a price.
yauee and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Kacee
Meanwhile, on UA, 1K benefits allow me to bring as many as 8 companions into Economy Plus. They don't even have to be on the same reservation.
Although KF gold and 1K are hardly equivalent tiers, although I do suspect Solitaire members wont get 8 people into seating free of charge.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh

Although KF gold and 1K are hardly equivalent tiers, although I do suspect Solitaire members wont get 8 people into seating free of charge.
It doesn't specifically say how many travel companions are included, but I would guess that theoretically it could be 8 people as well, provided the are on the same PNR.
This privilege is open to all PPS Club members, but was only introduced after they received some complaints after seat zones were introduced.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
I'm KF*G. Seat select for any class is a benefit of being so.
Cant complain. As a frequent flyer, this should be clear enough. (FYI on rules link).
The only thing your non-elite +1 (wife) is entitled to is the lounge access as your guest. Even that isnt a KF benefit, but rather a Star Alliance Gold benefit.
As others have mentioned, you cant go for the cheapest tickets and then complain if you dont get things your way.
Seems like you assumed something, without checking it first, only to realize it wasn't so after booking the ticket.
Price versus seating together by choosing seats for free......what was more important?

Just hope for the best by doing online check in exactly 48 hours to the flight.
And, next time, check these things before ticketing, if they are important to you.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
OP''s point is it's incredibly cheap of SQ not to allow a companion on the same reservation to also select an adjacent seat for free. I agree. Though sadly these sorts of charges are becoming more common throughout the industry.

Maybe we can't compare apple with orange. SQ don't have economy plus , and don't drag passenger off the plane.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by yauee
Maybe we can't compare apple with orange. SQ don't have economy plus , and don't drag passenger off the plane.
economy plus no, however the new "Forward Zone" could be comparable.. and while SQ don't drag people off the plane, they did have a pilot turn up for work drunk last week..!!

anyway it's become clear that many of to clearly only fly J/F and have no idea of the struggles the wee people have down Aft.. free seating was available to ALL ticket holders until early this year, no matter what price you paid. If SQ remove a service from J/F/ Lounge entitlements there is an uproar but this change has been an opportunity for many to call me cheap.!

it is nothing more than penny pinching by not extending free seat select to companions travelling with an SINGAPORE AIR GOLD ELITE member. No, I'm not PPS as I don't fly J often but I do fly SQ and other *A airlines very often. As you know SQ*G is not the easiest to achieve and there are easier FF programmes to credit to but I choose SQ as I use them often when departing NZ for Asia.

like I mentioned in my top post the price is nothing to be. $80SG is peanuts but it's the principal that the programme is so blind to only offer seat select to one person travelling in a group. Yes, I will continue to fly SQ but NO when travelling with a companion I NOT buy a more expensive ticket unless the difference is less than $80SG ( which no one has failed to mention)..!

enjoy your J/F flying team, I will probably see you up there however you are more than likely to see down back...!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Horses for courses for this Kiwi...

Air NZ actually has a pretty generous approach to seating groups of mixed status folks. As a THAI ROP Gold, I and other pax on same PNR, can access NZ's request flyer zone if I have my TG ROP # in the booking - great domestically and some advantage internationally - where at least you can also buy emergency exit and bulkhead rows.

My main program, THAI, offers no seating benefit in economy to a Gold as advanced seating is based on fare class - cheapest fares mean the rear of the economy section - semi flexible or better is required to be seated in the forward economy section. And it is not possible to 'buy' bulkhead or emergency exit rows.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Horses for courses for this Kiwi...

Air NZ actually has a pretty generous approach to seating groups of mixed status folks. As a THAI ROP Gold, I and other pax on same PNR, can access NZ's request flyer zone if I have my TG ROP # in the booking - great domestically and some advantage internationally - where at least you can also buy emergency exit and bulkhead rows.

My main program, THAI, offers no seating benefit in economy to a Gold as advanced seating is based on fare class - cheapest fares mean the rear of the economy section - semi flexible or better is required to be seated in the forward economy section. And it is not possible to 'buy' bulkhead or emergency exit rows.
Fully agree on TG. We only book K,Q fare, not W,V. Even in Full Y still cannot buy bulkhead or emergency exit row. Maybe OP should try more star alliance carrier with companion with similar fare condition to experience who else provide the unique feature as NZ.

And also a unique feature of NZ where we need to downgrade our domestic to economy class before connecting to our international business class despite under the same PNR, Please correct if the above are incorrect.

Last edited by yauee; Sep 24, 2018 at 8:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.