Wiki Posts
Search

NYC-SIN nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
NYC-SIN nonstop

“Starting in October, Singapore Airlines is launching service between New York (Newark) and Singapore on the brand new ultra-long range Airbus A350.”

But I thought they flew that route in Crazy Rich Asians!

This Is the Longest (and Most Luxurious) Flight in the World

https://www.brit.co/worlds-best-sing...ongest-flight/
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
A350-900 ULR Singapore Airlines
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vanillabean
But I thought they flew that route in Crazy Rich Asians!
They've always flown it 1-stop from JFK via FRA.

They used to fly it nonstop from EWR on an A345. That aircraft was business class only.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I’m not sure that thread answers my question.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
What was the question?

The latter part of the thread mentioned above is almost entirely about SQ 21/22.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by knit-in
What was the question?
Good question.

I'll add that the article linked by OP is absolute nonsense. EWR-SIN is by no means the "most luxurious" flight in the world. It's not even SQ's most luxurious flight. Not even close. Not only is there no F cabin, but it's the 350, which has been severely criticized for its very short J seat.
Tokyoite and kevinoh like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
It seems to me your question was whether a route flown in a book/movie is factual?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
They've always flown it 1-stop from JFK via FRA.

They used to fly it nonstop from EWR on an A345. That aircraft was business class only.
Originally Posted by oh_lol
It seems to me your question was whether a route flown in a book/movie is factual?
Yes, thanks to you both! I didn't know there was a nonstop before the 1-stop.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
“Starting in October, Singapore Airlines is launching service between New York (Newark) and Singapore on the brand new ultra-long range Airbus A350.”

But I thought they flew that route in Crazy Rich Asians!This Is the Longest (and Most Luxurious) Flight in the World

https://www.brit.co/worlds-best-sing...ongest-flight/
@vanillabean

As @Marschel note in post #2 , this thread was started in April with a press release from Airbus.There were also other articles form aviation and travel industry publicaitons.

A350-900 ULR Singapore Airlines

Crazy Rich Asian is a movie and as I recall from the trailer, the airline they flew First with was not SQ, even if the movie suggests that route was flown.

Real life does to always equal the movie industry version.

And, while the posts did not answer your question, you could have posted in the existing thread.

Happy Travels!
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Crazy Rich Asian is a movie and as I recall from the trailer, the airline they flew First with was not SQ, even if the movie suggests that route was flown.
In the book, it was very clearly stated they flew SQ F JFK to SIN. I don't recall if they mentioned a stopover at FRA (but obviously that's the only routing with an F cabin, then or now).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended

In the book, it was very clearly stated they flew SQ F JFK to SIN. I don't recall if they mentioned a stopover at FRA (but obviously that's the only routing with an F cabin, then or now).
Got it.

Not everyone read the book and it was not SQ in the movie near as I could tell (probably licensing or other reason). Also, as noted, a thread already exists so perhaps I and others saw the OP differently, in my case as new that was already announced and posted about here. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:56 pm

Not everyone read the book and it was not SQ in the movie near as I could tell (probably licensing or other reason).
The book was very deliberate about brand names, so I would assume there was a good reason that detail was dropped in the movie (if indeed it was).

I read all three books (while on an Asia trip, coincidentally). I don't usually read that kind of stuff, but I have to admit they were fun, especially as a frequent Asia traveler.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended

The book was very deliberate about brand names, so I would assume there was a good reason that detail was dropped in the movie (if indeed it was).
i know from my industry, licensing brand names for use in movies, tv shows, advertising etc, can be complicated and there are reasons companies don't want to participate.

That said.....

"Singapore wary of 'Crazy Rich Asians' film"

18 AUGUST 2018 • 5:38PM Kirsten Han - Singapore

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...h-asians-film/
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Real life does to always equal the movie industry version.
In the trailer, it appears they might have flown Emirates on the A380 with the onboard bar. The fictional name of the airline was "Pacific Asean Airlines".
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Guys, real crazy rich asians fly private aircraft, and queue all day in fron of LV and Gucci in their track suit and hoddies. They stay well clear of commercial airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.