Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeO9
The times or dates they intended to fly that leg are now what?
None. Hence SQ should offer OP option of full refund without any fee. It is unclear if full refund without fee was offered to OP. I think SQ did but someone disputed that.

OP can choose to fly whatever is still available. Then partial refund, if any, should be calculated based on segments flown.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by TerryK
None.
Then its not a schedule change.
I'm being pedantic.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then its not a schedule change.
I'm being pedantic.
Perhaps. But airlines do call it schedule change. There is no such thing as schedule cancellation in airlines parlance.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I seriously doubt that the fundamental aspect of the contract (A to B to C) can be adjusted unilaterally.
Read the contract. I am quite sure th is lawyer has added some clause to protect SQ for this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
None. Hence SQ should offer OP option of full refund without any fee. It is unclear if full refund without fee was offered to OP. I think SQ did but someone disputed that.

OP can choose to fly whatever is still available. Then partial refund, if any, should be calculated based on segments flown.
The sour point here is no excess amount to be refunded. I will be upset also if this happens to me. But what to do? Not worth for not even $200.
​​
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
Read the contract. I am quite sure th is lawyer has added some clause to protect SQ for this.
Again, I seriously doubt it, in that even low-cost airlines can't avoid it.
Airlines can fullfill the contract with (reasonable) delays and/or diversions, but cannot dodge its elementary component of getting pax from A to B.
If you are quite sure, post the relevant passage i.e. you read the contract.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:38 am

Again, I seriously doubt it, in that even low-cost airlines can't avoid it.
Airlines can fullfill the contract with (reasonable) delays and/or diversions, but cannot dodge its elementary component of getting pax from A to B.
If you are quite sure, post the relevant passage i.e. you read the contract.
​​​​​​
so what you suggest SQ to do? charter private jet for OP for SFO - IND?
Like any big corporations contract they will more likely to "compensate " the pax rather than just charter a flight to do the leg.

unfortunately the fare diffence is nothing
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:42 pm

​​​​​​so what you suggest SQ to do?
I'm glad you've given up on your nonsensical, evidence-free claim that SQ is somehow legally protected from contract law.

​​​​​​charter private jet for OP for SFO - IND?
Is that the only possibility to fly from IND from SFO?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:17 am

I'm glad you've given up on your nonsensical, evidence-free claim that SQ is somehow legally protected from contract law.
I am quite sure they are. not exact clause but vaguely they can use it to protect them. otherwise their legal team is not doing a good job.

​​​​

Is that the only possibility to fly from IND from SFO?
​​​​​​I don't know and but commercially seems there is no other option
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:24 am

There are 12 nonstop flights per week by UA between IND & SFO, OP booked on UA flight from SFO-IND. SQ should have "endorsed" the SFO-IND coupon to UA.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tiger9119
There are 12 nonstop flights per week by UA between IND & SFO, OP booked on UA flight from SFO-IND. SQ should have "endorsed" the SFO-IND coupon to UA.
He should have asked SQ prior to booking SFO-IND on his own. This is common sense.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:31 am

I am quite sure they are. not exact clause but vaguely they can use it to protect them. otherwise their legal team is not doing a good job.
Its a pity you've returned to evidence-free posting.

​​​​​​I don't know .....
Yet you post as though you do.
​​​​​​...but commercially seems there is no other option
Do a search for SFO-IND and you'l find at least 3 commercial enterprises that provide that service.
Your argument relies on SQ not being able to supply that service, and thus the contract, outside of existing alliances, and that it is SQ that designates what constitutes contract law.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As happens on FT, the two separate problems are being conflated.

1. What OP's remedy is should SQ not rebook him to IND (which could, by the way be a connection rather than nonstop). E.g., is there a refund, does SQ have a rebooking obligation??? This question is answered by reading the contract which OP agreed to. Rather than arguing about what a contract might say, one must pull up the COC and read the specific document.

2. Whether OP is entitled to recover the costs he chose to incur by using self-help and booking a separate ticket. That is likely to be a losing proposition. But, as with #1 , the issue is not "contract law" but what this contract says.
lingua101 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
As happens on FT, the two separate problems are being conflated.
What also happens are tangents are created. A particular tangent i spotted on this thread was attempted to be blocked, obviously without success. If the responses in this attempt are seen as an argument about what a contract might say, it failed. I'm not sure why, as it appeared clear that whatever each airline has in their contract, it categorically cannot state that "pax A to B" is discretionary, which is a matter of contract law and not what might be in the contract. Any suggestion that an elementary component of the contract is missing would have to be evidence-free, as demonstrated by the absence of such in this thread.
It may well have been a misstep to not remain focussed on the above issue by including the fact that flights between SFO and IND are indeed commercially available without charter.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Update: As someone above predicted, when I made an issue of the situation with DOT, Mastercard, UA, AS, SQ customer relations, etc. SQ cancelled my entire itinerary and purported that I had forefiet the entire fare. Further, SQ phone representative told me I couldn’t buy a new ticket for the same dates because at least one segment was sold out.

Later, in an email, SQ asserted that SQ was not responsible for the cancellation and alleged that UA had gone into the SQ system and cancelled my SQ flights. UA wrote that was impossible. AS also denied any role. SQ always denied any responsibility or financial liability for discontinuation of SQ codeshare SFO-IND service.

As recently as a week ago, it seemed my late September two week Indonesian holiday with friends would not come off, I would be out many thousands of dollars for prepaid hotels, diving, etc., and have a ticket SFO-IND of no use.

Now the good news! Last week SQ reinstated all my flights, although not all of my previously selected and extra charge seat assignments.

Today, in an email, SQ says it is making a fare adjustment by way of credit card refund equal to the UA fare.

TA provided assistance resolving the situation with SQ, but seemed unhappy about it.

The whole ordeal was very stressful and time consuming​​​​. I still do not understand why, when AS announced discontinuation of service, SQ didn’t immediately offer to put me on the UA flight or offer some other reasonable alternative other than its plan to strand me at SFO and keep the fare equivalent I had paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.