Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by warakorn
There is a contract in place to get a passenger from point A to point B.
SQ as the ticketing airline owes the passenger the passage to IND.
In this sense, any talk of a refund for the last leg is immaterial.
Any compensation relates to the breach of the entire contract.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....SQ as the ticketing airline owes the passenger the passage to IND.
SQ is contracted to delivery OP back to IND or offer a full refund.

However,
Originally Posted by down2biz
I don't want a full refund, I want to make the trip........
OP chose not to get a full refund.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
OP chose not to get a full refund.
As I understand it, the OP was never made that offer to turn down.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
And indeed, has, in my view, determined the contract leaving a refund the only available remedy.

I’d suggest that OP will need a new ticket ex IND as well.

Interesting that OP has not come back for a couple of days.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Often1
Even if one has one of those high-interest cards at 18%, the interest on $162 between now and October is $9.62 (roughly)
provided that's the only transaction that you have in the card.

Seriously why some one want to take so much trouble for $162?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:07 am

Honestly speaking, I don't understand how any airline could get away with dropping a segment in the route. There is a contract in place to get a passenger from point A to point B.
It is of no interest of the passenger what the agreements are between the airlines.

SQ as the ticketing airline owes the passenger the passage to IND.
Have you ever be in the situation that airline re-time the flight? I believe SQ is (and should) offering a full refund. Airlines does from time to time to make schedule adjustment including terminating certain route (due to profitability for sure). And more over this is a code-share flight, which I do not think it is really matter.

If SQ does not offer a full refund, then yes, bring SQ to court. The fact that the OP is still want to take the trip even he has to pay $162 extra means that this is probably still the "best" option for his trip. If not, just ask for full refund and rebook the alternative.

airlines ticket is not always A + B + C > A + B
TerryK likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by lingua101
Have you ever be in the situation that airline re-time the flight? I believe SQ is (and should) offering a full refund.
A full refund may or may noy be al that useful to OP if the cost of new fare is >$162 more than original fare. I can’t help but think he problem here is that it is through a TA. SQ should be working with their codeshare partner to make it right.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....airlines ticket is not always A + B + C > A + B
Exactly. I was checking DL/VS Z fares today. LHR-JFK-LHR is $3,867 while LHR-JFK-IAD-JFK-LHR is $1,358. Trying to refund JFK-IAD-JFK will get you ($2,509).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:24 pm

Well, I saw this interesting threat.

I suspect which this “change” of itinerary, SQ has to recalculate the fare and it ends up probably the same (or even higher) than the original price. Hence SQ will not provide any refund, as there is nothing to be refunded.

I never really read the whole contract myself, but I am quite sure there must be a clause that may protect SQ for this kind of circumstances.

It is co share flight. It is entirely SQ fault.

I guess either you just ask for full refund or just pay that $162. Or like other say, try to ask them to route you via sea. But since you booked through TA, you need to ask your TA to contact SQ.

i think the fare rules stated the domestic flight are to be on AS/SQ/B6/DL/AM n some other carriers flight n exclude UA flight. So if need to go via UA, there might be adjustment of pricing.

And i think SQ also state that the base fare cannot be used for calculation of prorates.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbs2716g

i think the fare rules stated the domestic flight are to be on AS/SQ/B6/DL/AM n some other carriers flight n exclude UA flight. So if need to go via UA, there might be adjustment of pricing.

And i think SQ also state that the base fare cannot be used for calculation of prorates.
But fare rules should go out the window in the event of an irregular change. SQ has a contract to get OP to IND and they have failed to do so as their codeshare partner has dropped a flight. As far as an individual consumer is concerned, why is this any different than SQ cutting SIN-SFO flights and instead of flying one DPS-SIN-LAX to connect to SFO, they just tell them we're flying you to SIN and that's where your journey will end because the fare rules don't allow us to do anything else.
LukeO9 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
But fare rules should go out the window in the event of an irregular change. SQ has a contract to get OP to IND and they have failed to do so as their codeshare partner has dropped a flight. As far as an individual consumer is concerned, why is this any different than SQ cutting SIN-SFO flights and instead of flying one DPS-SIN-LAX to connect to SFO, they just tell them we're flying you to SIN and that's where your journey will end because the fare rules don't allow us to do anything else.
I am quite sure there must be somewhere in the long T&C that state that SQ has any right to adjust this contract as it deems necessary. You may say it is not fair, but like any contract we enter with big cooperation it is always one sided contract anyway.

The difference of your example, if it is SQ flight, then it is within their control and decision. Not on code-share. I do not know if SQ does code share with AS on all flights or only on certain flight. The other issue that I think may cause the complication, OP said all the tickets are on SQ ticket stock (618). If other AS flights via SEA are not SQ code share flight, can it be ticketed in 618 ticket stock?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:05 am

Exactly. I was checking DL/VS Z fares today. LHR-JFK-LHR is $3,867 while LHR-JFK-IAD-JFK-LHR is $1,358. Trying to refund JFK-IAD-JFK will get you ($2,509).
Well if you drop JFK-IAD-JFK, you need to pay the airlines $2509. this is the case, if you want to have a valid JFK-LHR ticket. If you just buy LHR-JFK-IAD-JFK-LHR because it is cheaper and do not flifght JFK-IAD, you will get the return segment cancelled.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
But fare rules should go out the window in the event of an irregular change.....
OP's case is a schedule change, not irregular operation. Irregular operation is when a flight is cancelled on day of departure.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:37 pm

SQ has any right to adjust this contract as it deems necessary.
I seriously doubt that the fundamental aspect of the contract (A to B to C) can be adjusted unilaterally.

Last edited by LukeO9; Aug 17, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:41 pm

OP's case is a schedule change.
The times or dates they intended to fly that leg are now what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.