Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Well, I saw this interesting threat.

I suspect which this “change” of itinerary, SQ has to recalculate the fare and it ends up probably the same (or even higher) than the original price. Hence SQ will not provide any refund, as there is nothing to be refunded.

I never really read the whole contract myself, but I am quite sure there must be a clause that may protect SQ for this kind of circumstances.

It is co share flight. It is entirely SQ fault.

I guess either you just ask for full refund or just pay that $162. Or like other say, try to ask them to route you via sea. But since you booked through TA, you need to ask your TA to contact SQ.

Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lingua101
.....I suspect which this “change” of itinerary, SQ has to recalculate the fare and it ends up probably the same (or even higher) than the original price. Hence SQ will not provide any refund, as there is nothing to be refunded......
This. ^ Add on flights within USA are often "free". There is likely nothing to refund.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This is because SQ1449 is a codeshare Alaska flight. AS is terminating the route on September 30.
This makes more sense as I cannot imagine SQ serving IND.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:07 am

Joined just to post here. I can't provide too much practical advice given that you've already started the dispute.

My advice for similarly situated folks is to not to do anything until you complete the travel and then file a chargeback after the fact (mitigates retaliation or messing with your travel). The major downside to this approach is paying interest on the charge until you're able to dispute. You'll have to pay interest because you lose your protection rights under the Fair Credit Billing Act if you pay off the charge. I wrote a whole post on FCBA for Doc (which I can't link to because of new account, sorry--A quick google of "Fair Credit Billing Act Doctor of Credit" will bring it up). There are deadlines under the FCBA that would make this approach unavailable for a charge more than 90 days before travel.

After 90 days you can still file a dispute that's resolved under the Visa/Amex/MC rules, but those tend to be mushy affairs.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by PointsLawyer
Joined just to post here. I can't provide too much practical advice given that you've already started the dispute.

My advice for similarly situated folks is to not to do anything until you complete the travel and then file a chargeback after the fact (mitigates retaliation or messing with your travel). The major downside to this approach is paying interest on the charge until you're able to dispute. You'll have to pay interest because you lose your protection rights under the Fair Credit Billing Act if you pay off the charge. I wrote a whole post on FCBA for Doc (which I can't link to because of new account, sorry--A quick google of "Fair Credit Billing Act Doctor of Credit" will bring it up). There are deadlines under the FCBA that would make this approach unavailable for a charge more than 90 days before travel.

After 90 days you can still file a dispute that's resolved under the Visa/Amex/MC rules, but those tend to be mushy affairs.
Even if one has one of those high-interest cards at 18%, the interest on $162 between now and October is $9.62 (roughly). So, not a show stopper.

The larger issue is that succeeding on chargebacks against air carriers and other similar travel providers, one needs to get the facts straight and connect those directly to the applicable COC provision. Merely believing that something ought to be differently handled is not likely to succeed, especially with SQ.

If indeed the final segment was effectively cost-free, the refund will be $0 and any self-help will be at OP's expense/
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Sorry, I don't understand "cost free" in this case. It is my understanding that any segment of any ticket has a "cost". It may be that it is included in a fare somewhere, but there is a segment cost. Is this not correct? The carriers have agreements that a flight between point A and point B is worth so much, when it is in conjunction with a flight from Point X. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also please explain "chargeback".

Thank you
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Cost (to the airline) and Fare (to the customer) can be 2 different things. Most carriers will absorb the entire cost of the tag-on domestic flight in order to get your business for the long-haul, many times 4 segments.

Chargeback is when the back needs to give back money to a consumer, most often because the consumer never consumed the services he was charged for or never received the goods he paid for.
TerryK likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Honestly speaking, I don't understand how any airline could get away with dropping a segment in the route. There is a contract in place to get a passenger from point A to point B.
It is of no interest of the passenger what the agreements are between the airlines.

SQ as the ticketing airline owes the passenger the passage to IND.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Doing a chargeback for a small amount before the main flights may end up being bad news. I’d have never done it, certainly. Hope it works out!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
This. ^ Add on flights within USA are often "free". There is likely nothing to refund.
"Free" to whom? I have flown a lot of international flights that involve US gateway cities. I have never heard an airline say that my flight to or from the gateway was a freebie that the airline could cancel at will, without substitution or refund. I have seen instances where the airline has notified me of a flight time change or cancellation but always with an alternative. They also gave me the option of canceling the whole ticket if I didn't like the alternative proposed.

I picture buying a set of 5 steak knives with a nice wooden rack from an online seller. Only 4 of the knives show up. The seller refuses to replace or reimburse for the missing knife. I think virtually everyone would reject an explanation like: "The manufacturer changed the set from 5 knives to 4 but didn't reduce the wholesale price to us. So the value of the 5th knife is $0 and you get no refund or replacement."
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:33 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
The whole thing is strange. The proposed replacement flight is offered by a *A partner, United. Not some LCC that SQ may not be able to push a ticket to.

Have you tried contacting SQ's US office in El Segundo, CA?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:49 am

The add on flights are not free.

SFO-SIN-MDC-SIN-SFO
Fare Basis: NMSFP
Fare: USD946.00 (not including taxes)

IND-SFO-SIN-MDC-SIN-SFO-IND
Fare Basis: NMSFP
Fare: USD1046.00 (not including taxes)

Via The Pacific/Constructed RTG
1. IND-AS/SQ-SFO-HKG-SIN-MI/SQ-MDC

The above fares are the lowest for the above routes published by SQ.
You can choose to book on AS flights instead of SQ code shared flights. If the flight was booked on AS, AS will have taken care of the issue.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by down2biz
Yes.
It's quite probable that the reasoning behind the refusal is the fare construction,

The whole fare all the way back to IND was probably less than the whole fare just as far as SFO

If you are willing to post your full itinerary I can check on it for you.

Not saying what they are ding is right because the shouldn't be stranding people but that's my theory
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:00 pm
CEB

Programs: UA 1k MM, HH D, Starwood PT, Alaska MVP
In my experience, SQ is a stickler for details and abhors refunds and/or upgrades, etc. unless you are 'one of them,' i.e. an SQ loyalty member with status. Even as UA 1K for many years I have had my challenges with SQ despite their fabulous on board service and wonderful facilities (both on the ground and in the air). I still fly SQ when appropriate and desired, but they are difficult in these sorts of situations. Best advice I can give, is similar to above:
1. Let the TA deal with SQ
2. Dispute through CC after the trip and don't worry about the interest as it will be waived if the dispute is settled in your favor, which is likely from the CC perspective, particularly if you are a long term CC holder with a reasonable (even not perfect) payment history.
3. In the end, while I cannot be in your shoes regarding the financial impact $162 seems trivial for such a diving expedition in total. So even though i agree 1000% in principle, in the end the dollar amount is somewhat irrelevant.

Good luck! In the end SQ is difficult in these situations, but fortunately the cost is not huge. So enjoy your trip and don't stress over the idiosyncrasies of a different culture.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well I can't help you. I hope you have a great time diving, though. The diving is fantastic there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.