Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Besides all of the above... Could it also be reasonable to make a claim on travel insurance for the separate tix OP elected to buy?

I expect proof might be needed the TA/SQ was unable/unwilling to construct an amended itinerary (same fare) to the return destination, and that cancelling was not a tolerable option.

Finally, in the big picture, $164 out of whatever the total outlay for the travel is (airfares, accommodation food etc) brings Often1's advice to the fore - leave everything alone, and try and untangle it on your return.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Given the circumstances, I would leave it be right now. Take your trip, and when you return, file a complaint with DOT that SQ updated your ticket to terminate at SFO and refused to adjust your fare or accommodate you to IND as originally ticketed, and this constitutes a post-purchase price increase, which is illegal in accordance with DOT rules (there is precedent in previous cases of people getting something because DOT considers dropping the first/last segment of a ticket and requiring a passenger to get to/from the new departure/arrival city on their own dime to be a post-purchase price increase) and ask for a reimbursement of the $162 as your desired resolution. Include the written correspondence you got from SQ that they would not fly you to IND nor refund.

If you can still cancel your UA ticket I would do that and then file the same complaint with DOT of post-purchase price increase.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It isn’t clear whether to and/or your travel agent contacted SQ to reroute your original itinerary from IND, before you went ahead and unilaterally purchased a second ticket. You only refer to interactions with SQ in respect of a fare adjustment. I find it hard to believe that SQ simply said “get yourself to San Francisco” and didn’t offer either a refund or reroute.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@op What possessed you to buy the UA ticket before sorting things out with SQ?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One more thought and something to be done before going off the rails with DOT complaints and lawsuits.

It is entirely possible that the marketing / plating carrier is not SQ. This is a TA-issued ticket and that could mean anything from a bricks & mortar operation to some fly-by-night opaque vendor. The fact that OP says he bought a ticket "on SQ" does not mean much in this context.

So, the question to OP is: what are the first three digits of the ticket number. If SQ, they will be "618". If some other number, what is it? Do not post anything other than the first 3 digits (to protect your ticket).

Rerouting prior to the day of travel is the responsibility of the ticketing carrier. If that is not SQ, that is who will handle the reroute. A major fail by the TA not to handle the issue in a seamless manner if this is the case as it is exactly what TA's get paid to know and then do,

The fact that SQ will not handle a reroute or refund anything makes this the most plausible explanation.

So, another question for OP. That can only be determined from the e-ticket number.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:52 am

Maybe should have ask SQ to reroute the SFO-IND sector to SFO-SEA-IND by Alaska Airlines.

SFO-SEA AS313 0700/0915
SEA-IND AS500 1005/1731
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Answers to questions / suggestions

Responding to several comments and questions above.

1) I originate and terminate at IND.

2) One ticket for the entire 7 leg trip was purchased from SQ, eTicket code beginning 618. Canceled leg has SQ flight number.

3) SQ offered no alternative substitute flight. SQ has made it clear, in writing, they are not going to make any fare adjustment.

4) TA is legitimate company. TA has shared copies of correspondence with SQ. SQ not going to make any adjustment.

5) I have filed a complaint with DOT.

6)I have filed a dispute with my credit card company in the amount of UA flight. Original credit card charge shows SQ as the merchant, not TA.

7) Waiting to challenge SQ until after completion of the trip seems a poor strategy. The question would then be "why did you wait" ... "we could have fixed it had you contacted the correct department, but now too late" etc.

8) As a practical matter, a small claims court case against SQ for such a small sum ($162) would be a waste of time and effort, even assuming Indiana has jurisdiction and SQ otherwise amenable to suit in Indiana. The filing and service of process fee is about $125. Even if I won the case, which would require many hours of time and possible cancellation of future travel plans to attend court hearings (at least two in-person hearings are required in every small claims case) collecting a judgment would be problematic as it is highly unlikely SQ has any bank accounts or other liquid assets in Indiana.

9) I paid SQ for non-stop SFO-IND. I am not interested in flying to SEA on the (very much out of the) way to IND after long trans-Pacific flights. I might possibly have considered it had SQ offered it as an alternative, but it was not offered. One way fare on suggested AS flights via SEA is about $311 and is about 7 1/2 hours long compared to UA less than 4 1/3 hour non-stop at $162.

10) I purchased UA flight after SQ confirmed in writing it was not going to put me on an alternative flight nor make a fare adjustment. As I mentioned above, there are only two flights per day SFO - IND, both on UA and only one matching my schedule. I know from experience that UA price was very reasonable. The UA price has increased substantially since I purchased my ticket.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
If nothing else I certainly wouldn't go back to that TA for any future trips...
emilio911 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
If nothing else I certainly wouldn't go back to that TA for any future trips...
I very rarely use TAs ... I have enough experience to book on my own. In this case I'm going with a dive club that planned, booked, and paid their trip a full two years ago. They made all arrangements (air, multiple hotels, weeks of diving, all meals, all transfers, everything) through the TA that specializes in SCUBA trips. I'm a "last minute" substitute for someone who now is unable to go. Consequently, as a practical matter, there was nothing for me to arrange. I paid the club directly for the now open spot. The TA made the flight reservation but the airline was paid directly, not the TA, with my credit card. Singapore Airlines is shown as the merchant on the card statement.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by down2biz
6)I have filed a dispute with my credit card company in the amount of UA flight. Original credit card charge shows SQ as the merchant, not TA.

7) Waiting to challenge SQ until after completion of the trip seems a poor strategy. The question would then be "why did you wait" ... "we could have fixed it had you contacted the correct department, but now too late" etc.
An even poorer strategy is to dispute the credit card charge before completing travel. It could put you in a no-win situation: if the chargeback gets denied, you gain nothing. If the chargeback succeeds (even for the partial amount of $162), you are likely to be denied boarding by SQ, as they will likely invalidate the ticket for lack of payment. If you had posted this and I was replying before you made the chargeback, I would have suggested that you seriously consider how important the $162 was to you, vs the possibility of not being able to travel on the ticket at all, and/or having to pay a full walk-up fare. Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Poster

You may be right. In cases of unjustified anticipatory breach such as this, in my experience, waiting is fatal.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may be right. In cases of unjustified anticipatory breach such as this, in my experience, waiting is fatal.
Regardless of legal jargon, you have created multiple risks:
1. When the dispute hits SQ, it may elect to do nothing and simply cancel your ticket as it is not fully paid for. You may or may not find this out as SQ may cancel the ticket and not the reservation and that will not be apparent unless you check carefully on a daily basis.
2. When the dispute hits SQ, it may simply show the ticket as having an add/collect and that will be collected at the airport before you are permitted to board.
3. SQ may contest the dispute and simply document that with the COC. As you have elected self-help, you will not have a leg to stand on. Bear in mind that the dispute mechanism is simply a form of alternative dispute resolution, it is not a means of litigating external disagreements.

On the other hand, you may get lucky as sometimes happy when merchant vendors are sloppy. If SQ misses the dispute deadline and does nothing, you will have your UA ticket paid for in the form of a credit against the SQ ticket and you may simply fly as you are currently scheduled.
emilio911 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I find it interesting, and sad, that no one suggests SQ will react by doing the obvious right thing for its customer!

Everyone seems to think that SQ, having cheated me (perhaps by mistake?), is very likely going to compound its inexplicable bad behavior by attempting to punish me further for seeking reasonable redress.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I find it interesting, and sad, that no one suggests SQ will react by doing the obvious right thing for its customer!

Everyone seems to think that SQ, having cheated me (perhaps by mistake?), is very likely going to compound its inexplicable bad behavior by attempting to punish me further for seeking reasonable redress.
It happens though where partial disputes are handled with a full cancellation of ticket with no possibility for reinstatement and if they're already treating you so badly what makes you think they will treat you better after filing a dispute. I even had a ticket cancelled once for filing a dispute over DCC.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
And by purchasing a separate ticket you may well be found to have made an election to terminate the contract rather than have SQ perform. This is supported by your conduct in seeking a chargeback.

As you are aware, once a contract is terminated neither party is obliged to perform. Your sole recourse would be damages.

No one has suggested that SQ should not be performing its obligations and getting you back to IND but with all due respect, the strategy you are employing is questionable.

You appeared to have ignored the advice to hang up and call SQ again nor appeared to have tried.

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Aug 13, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.