Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Better SQ Award Availability Through UA than KF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Title says it all. Looking at SIN-BKK on 31 August. UA offers SQ972 as saver award for 25k miles. KF only offers Advantage award waitlist for same flight at 40k miles.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Is this a complaint? Best way is to book what you get, with the miles you have.
Aeroplan also shows the flight as available. Best bet is to call in and talk to an agent about what they an see from their end.
Then, sweet talk the agent to book it while waiving the call in fees!
shuuy likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Is this a complaint?
I guess inviting comments/explanations. Strikes me as really odd - usually programs offer better availability to their own members than to partners.

SQ saver would be 5k less. Though I get free changes and cancel with UA as 1K.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Kacee
I guess inviting comments/explanations. Strikes me as really odd - usually programs offer better availability to their own members than to partners.
Just the way it rolls. Different inventories for different partners. It’s a very popular route for Singaporeans and they are far more likely to accrue KrisFlyer miles than UA or other star alliance miles. (Granted at the other end Thais are likely to accrue through what I have classed as other - TG miles).

On on the flip side it’s a very very lucky day if you see any business class inventory on SQ to LHR or SFO or other long haul destinations using UA miles .....
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
On on the flip side it’s a very very lucky day if you see any business class inventory on SQ to LHR or SFO or other long haul destinations using UA miles .....
Yes, it would be a lucky day, because that would only occur in error.

Getting back to the original point, it is IME virtually unheard of for programs to offer better award availability to partners than to their own program members.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I don't think it's better award availability, just that it's likely earmarked inventory happened to still be available to partners but has been exhausted in the primary programme. There was once I was able to get a biz class tik to TPE via LH M&M but only waitlist on SQ KF. I just count myself lucky to have enough miles in both accounts to take advantage of such scenarios. Have I consistently found it easier to redeem via M&M - certainly not.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
As a PPS Solitaire I can see saver award availability (20K miles) for every SQ SIN-BKK flight on Aug 31 (all 6 flights). Thus, availability does seem to be limited to status on SQ side. Interesting that UA has access to it.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Thus, availability does seem to be limited to status on SQ side. Interesting that UA has access to it.
Available through AP as well. Though they want 40k miles for it
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Avianca LifeMiles is showing 4 seats available for 24,500 (each). That's their standard Business Saver rate and it shows availability on every SQ flight that day. No other class is available
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Not sure this applies to your case but UA has shown me ghost award availability plenty of times on SQ. Were you able to complete the booking?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Not sure this applies to your case but UA has shown me ghost award availability plenty of times on SQ. Were you able to complete the booking?
Yes it's ticketed.

I'm hoping KF opens space, I'll cancel and rebook to save the 5k miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.